Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Syndicate Solicits Pirates

New Scientist has details on an interesting overture to software pirates in Syndicate that was found in Starbreeze's newly released first-person shooter by reddit's MikkelManDK. Apparently legit copies of the game include an .nfo file that would normally be found in a cracked copy with two simple instructions: "1) Insert disc 2) Play ;)". This apparently also offers pirates the chance to apply for jobs and asks them to consider the years spent by hundreds of people making the game before stealing it.

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

26. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 25, 2012, 01:27 Aero

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 01:18:
Creston wrote on Feb 25,
Creston [/quote:

Who is she? My sister? I kid, but oddly my sister is in exactly the same spot right now for Sims 3. She picked it up off origin after I warned her not to...still waiting two weeks now. I think she was swearing something about hitting them in small claims come monday if they hadn't given her the product she paid for. Luckily she lives in Quebec.

Probably be a lot easier and more effective to just repudiate the transaction on her credit card. If EA tried to object for some reason, it would be their responsibility to prove they delivered the product, which they haven't. Can't speak to Canada though, and must admit I've only ever had to do this with physical products. I'm not sure what if any difference that makes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 25, 2012, 01:18 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 01:11:

I think Ray is STILL waiting on the Sims 3 showing up for his wife? And that's fucking horseshit. That right there is reason enough to...

Creston
Who is she? My sister? I kid, but oddly my sister is in exactly the same spot right now for Sims 3. She picked it up off origin after I warned her not to...still waiting two weeks now. I think she was swearing something about hitting them in small claims come monday if they hadn't given her the product she paid for. Luckily she lives in Quebec.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

24. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 25, 2012, 01:11 Creston

Innocent wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 01:08:
Regarding various comment saying origin is not that bad: A week ago I was dying for something new and a couple of reviews convinced me to buy a new game. (Swtor If you must know). So somehow I got shanghaied into buying it on origin. Completed the transaction... and no download. Waited an hour still no download. Called origin: they told me it would be a 48 hour wait. assumed it was a credit card problem called the credit card company they said everything is cool we okayed the transaction. Called origin back they told me tough cookies. Guess you just get to wait 48 hours. Luckily it was only a 24 hour wait.
So that will be my last business experience with origin. If you are going to copy steam do it well.

I think Ray is STILL waiting on the Sims 3 showing up for his wife? And that's fucking horseshit. That right there is reason enough to

A) never ever buy anything on Origin
B) sue the shit out of them if they pull this shit. There is no bit of legality anywhere that allows them to take your money, then not deliver the product until some arbitrary bullshit timeline has passed. I'd have immediately had my credit card company reverse the fucking charge.

Creston

23. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 25, 2012, 01:08 Innocent

Regarding various comment saying origin is not that bad: A week ago I was dying for something new and a couple of reviews convinced me to buy a new game. (Swtor If you must know). So somehow I got shanghaied into buying it on origin. Completed the transaction... and no download. Waited an hour still no download. Called origin: they told me it would be a 48 hour wait. assumed it was a credit card problem called the credit card company they said everything is cool we okayed the transaction. Called origin back they told me tough cookies. Guess you just get to wait 48 hours. Luckily it was only a 24 hour wait.
So that will be my last business experience with origin. If you are going to copy steam do it well.

22. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 25, 2012, 01:06 Creston

People still insert discs?

On a related topic, has anyone actually played this?
Edit : Thanks for the write-up, Aero.

Edit 2 : it sounds pretty crappy.

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2012, 01:49.

21. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 25, 2012, 00:26 Cutter

Dades wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 00:13:
killer_roach wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 23:42:
Seems more like the usual ritual sucking off of Valve among the people here than anything. I doubt it's costing EA all that many sales - if it were, they would've relented on this practice by now.

EA isn't dumb, they know exactly who the market leader is and they are in it for the long haul. They're perfectly willing to lose short term sales for long term gain which translates into a higher profit margin on products sold. The only reason other sites aren't being selected for similar treatment is that their volume of sales is incredibly low compared to Steam and EA has important console contracts with places like Amazon and Gamestop so they can't dick around with them online yet.

That's never going to happen if it's business as usual for EA. No, or shitty sales. Ending support and their controlled online servers for a game after a year or two. Shitty customer service. And yet another client required that, really, isn't needed and is solely a control issue. With the exception of making all their games exclusive to Origin they'll never catch up with Steam. And if they do that, they'll suffer for it. Greatly.

We all know why they want Origin and why they want it to succeed and no one can fault them for that. However, their corporate structure is too ingrained to allow them the sort of flexibility they require to make a real go of it. I'm not against any company doing this because competition is healty. However, they're not interested in competition and don't much care for it So, they'll lose in the end. The way they operate makes them their own worst enemy. Not Steam, not the pirates, and certainly not the consumers.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

20. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 25, 2012, 00:13 Dades

killer_roach wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 23:42:
Seems more like the usual ritual sucking off of Valve among the people here than anything. I doubt it's costing EA all that many sales - if it were, they would've relented on this practice by now.

EA isn't dumb, they know exactly who the market leader is and they are in it for the long haul. They're perfectly willing to lose short term sales for long term gain which translates into a higher profit margin on products sold. The only reason other sites aren't being selected for similar treatment is that their volume of sales is incredibly low compared to Steam and EA has important console contracts with places like Amazon and Gamestop so they can't dick around with them online yet.

19. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 23:52 Bhruic

Blue says its out, and comments seem to indicate its origin only.

Impulse
Amazon
Gamer's Gate
Direct2Drive

Yup. Definitely Origin only.

*sigh*

18. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 23:42 killer_roach

Sepharo wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 23:38:
I think he was joking Dev.
Making a point about Steam's ubiquity in most PC gamer's purchasing habits.

Personally, I don't care that much one way or the other where I get it. Inconvenience will lower my willingness to pay, of course, but it's not like Origin makes buying or playing games particularly difficult.

17. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 23:41 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 23:38:

Yes, but thats also how I would have found out if a game was released (aside from on blues), and thats why I didn't know it was out, since steam hadn't told me So even in his joking, he makes a good point.

16. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 23:38 Sepharo

15. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 23:30 Dev

Alamar wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 22:53:
Dev wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 22:12:
I didn't even know this had come out yet. I welcome comments from anyone who has tried it.

This isn't out yet.. I just checked Steam...

-Alamar
Blue says its out, and comments seem to indicate its origin only.

Edit:
Text for your Link
Looks like its out on origin.

14. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 23:25 nin

Nice write up - thank you!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 23:10 Aero

Origin is a pain in the ass. Nothing against it in principle, after all I think Steam is fine. Technically, it's rough and cumbersome. It's just a poor imitation of Steam. Valve had their eye on the ball ten years ago, and now it's paying off because they're a decade ahead of everyone else. I would, however, be uncomfortable if Steam effectively became a monopoly on online game sales, so I'm kinda conflicted there.

Anyways, that isn't why I posted. I went ahead and bought Syndicate anyways because I have a week off and wanted a new first person shooter. And you know, I think it's pretty good actually. Obviously, you need to put aside the fact that it has nothing to do with the first games other than being in the same "universe" (which is pretty slick, so far as those things go... more or less the Sprawl Trilogy).

And, like the reviews say, the plot isn't original or particularly intersting (so far anyways), nor is there a lot of depth to the environment like with, say, Deus Ex. It's just a cyberpunk action shooter. That said, it is considerably more "tactical" than your typical COD shooting gallery. Particularly on the hardest difficulties, you need to consider your environment and maneuver thoughtfully, not just cover-based whack-a-mole crap. The firefights can get pretty intense, and the enemy AI is very good for the most part.

The engine is great and has a lot of the same Starbreeze touches that made the Riddick games so good. It feels physical, like controlling a person rather than flying a floating gun. The cover mechanic works well too. There's none of that 'press a button to enter cover'stuff--if you're crouching behind a wall, and use the iron sights, you'll aim over or around the cover (exactly how it should work, IMO). Overall, the shooting mechanics feel really good--powerful and punchy.

The presentation, aside from a little overzealous application of lens flare (which you can turn off by modifying a config file), is slick too. It has impressively solid graphics and animation, and the sound works really well. The visceralness (is that a word?) of the firefights is right on the money, and has me shrinking back in my seat when I'm crouched behind a wall being raked with enemy fire.

Basically, for a shooter, it's got the mechanics worked out near perfectly.

The primary significant weaknesses are two disappointing bits of consolitis, and this is pushing towards a deal breaker. So far as I can tell, you cannot disable or adjust the default mouse smoothing, which is significant, and so is a serious flaw I hope they fix. It's a little laggy. Secondly, the FOV cannot be adjusted. I like it where it's at myself, generally preferring lower FOVs, but I suspect most PC gamers won't.

My final word, though, despite how surprised I am by how much I'm enjoying it considering it's poor reputation, is that I don't really feel that it's worth $60. It was worth it for me at the time because it happened to be just what I was looking for just when I was looking for it, but if I were weighing my options between different games I wanted, the price would be a deal-breaker. Better to wait for it to come down.

And then, of course, there is the Origin thing.

EDIT: While I was typing that, something to try occurred to me. You can disable the mouse smoothing by unchecking "enhance pointer precision" in your Windows Control Panel mouse settings.

Obviously, this is stupid and it shouldn't be this way, but it does solve the problem.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2012, 23:27.

12. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 22:53 Alamar

Dev wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 22:12:
I didn't even know this had come out yet. I welcome comments from anyone who has tried it.

This isn't out yet.. I just checked Steam...

-Alamar

11. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 22:39 DDI

You have won a FREE MOTORBOAT!  

10. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 22:38 rist3903

Besides the name, is anyone able to tell me what this new game has in common with the original? Story? Characters? Weapons?

Regenerating health.

9. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 22:26 Lokust

nin wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 22:00:

I would have liked to have tried this game. Shame about the origin shit.

This. If you aren't big enough to get your game on Steam then I can't be bothered to check out your game that's beneath my notice. And given the number of excellent indie developers on Steam selling their games for VERY reasonable prices, this EA company must be a tiny group of nobodies or something.

8. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 22:12 Dev

7. Re: Syndicate Solicits Pirates Feb 24, 2012, 22:10 Bumpy

Besides the name, is anyone able to tell me what this new game has in common with the original? Story? Characters? Weapons?  

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo