Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC

A post to the BioWare Social Network addresses reaction to the recent leak of details on From Ashes, a day-one DLC pack for Mass Effect 3. With some suggesting a boycott over the news (thanks Jason via PCWorld), BioWare's Mike Gamble wants it understood that this content was developed after the game:

As most of you know, yesterday there was a leak that revealed the upcoming DLC “ME3:From Ashes” on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. This leak took place before we were prepared to make an announcement about the details of that pack (slated for this Friday). There has been a lot of discussion about the DLC offering but we wanted to clarify a few things...

- “From Ashes” includes the Prothean squad mate, an adventure on Eden Prime, a new weapon, and an alternate appearance for every squad mate. Note that these alternate appearances are in addition to the ones already advertised in the CE.

- The Collectors Edition has been advertised from the beginning as containing a bonus character/mission, but we were not at liberty to provide the details. The Prothean is optional content that is certainly designed to appeal to long-time fans, which is why he is part of the CE offering (the version many fans would be likely to purchase). Mass Effect 3 is a complete – and a huge game - right out of the box.

- The content in “From Ashes” was developed by a separate team (after the core game was finished) and not completed until well after the main game went into certification.

- The Collectors Edition has been sold out in most places for some time now, and is becoming very hard to find (many players prefer not to purchase the digital version). As such, we wanted to make this content available so that SE buyers could also incorporate the Prothean into their game.

We’ll be releasing some images and video about this pack in the coming days.

As always, we are extremely thankful for all of your support. We pulled out all of the stops to make Mass Effect 3 the best game ever, and we can't wait for you all to experience it.

View
95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

95. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 15:25 fatguy

Everyone needs to calm down, think rationally for a moment, and give EA more money.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

94. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 14:20 Dev

noman wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 02:32:
With the exception of few titles, EA games are on Steam as well. The ones that are not there, are forced out due to Valve's policy of controlling how you can acquire the DLCs after buying the main game. Valve wants tighter control.
Or maybe valve doesn't want to start a trend of companies using steam to take a large percentage of income stream away from them?

All valve asked was that if a company wanted to do DLC through some manner that wasn't steam, that they ALSO offer it THROUGH steam. As a customer, I support that. I don't want to go to 3 different places to see what DLC I own, buy it from a bunch of places, download and update it from multiple places, etc. I disliked having DLC from ME1 being not available on steam, and I had to buy it from EA directly.

93. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 13:35 Quinn

Ironically enough it was some popular guy on youtube who convinced me to buy the CE. He was ranting on about how he found it unacceptable what BioWare did, leaving such a companion who is key to the plot and lore out of the game so they could put it in a day 1 DLC for profit sake.

I wasn't aware of it being a Prothean until I saw his boycotting vid. Pre-ordered it the same day.

I hate the fact it has to be like this... but life is unfair like that.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

92. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 11:21 netnerd85

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 01:23:
Ruffiana wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 20:52:
How a developer opts to monetize the content they've paid to create is their business.

Absolutely. And, on the flipside, how people choose to perceive that monetarization is, crazily enough, their business. Just as Bioware has every right to do this, people also have every right to be pissed off about it, or even boycott the game because of it. They don't really "need" to get over their stigma. If they choose to feel ripped off because of it, that's their right.

Creston
Agreed.

91. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 09:06 avianflu

The weasily official response from EA was entertaining to read.

EA _genuinely_ annoyed some of their biggest fans of the game franchise. I am sure EA is hoping it will blow over.

90. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 06:20 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2012, 02:12:
Get over it Creston...
And all you whiners stop posting.
Positive excited comments only.

Damn. There goes my race to 10000 posts. Bigcry

The ones that are not there, are forced out due to Valve's policy of controlling how you can acquire the DLCs after buying the main game.

Except that that "reason" is demonstrably false. Dragon Age makes Steam users go through Bioware/EA - in exactly the manner EA claims Steam's policies supposedly won't allow - to buy its DLC and it is still on Steam. EA is full of shit.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

89. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 04:24 Julio

Ruffiana wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 15:58:
There's no deception going on here. Here's the game, in the box...no Prothean. $60. Take it or leave it. Get over it. Buy it or don't buy it. You didn't pay for the development of this game...you're entitled to jack-shit.

I'm leaving it, just like I didn't buy DA2. The Bioware created metacritic reviews won't sway me either

88. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 02:39 nin

EA games are not exclusive to Origin.

Check out Amazon's download page for Syndicate:

"Requires Origin account for installation and activation."

So if you plan to install, you still have to fuck with origin.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

87. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 02:32 noman

Dev wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 14:55:
Kajetan wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 11:05:
Verno wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 10:27:
ME3 won't be on Steam
Not right now, but later they will, after ME3 is not attractive anymore to lure potential customers to Origin.
You mean like they've done with their other pulled titles for steam after time went by?

Oh wait...

EA games are not exclusive to Origin. They are at Amazon (both retail and download versions), Direct2Drive, ImpulseDriven and several other retail and digital download stores.

With the exception of few titles, EA games are on Steam as well. The ones that are not there, are forced out due to Valve's policy of controlling how you can acquire the DLCs after buying the main game. Valve wants tighter control.

If anything, Valve is the one which makes their games (digital download version) exclusive to their own store. EA games like Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 are available almost everywhere.

86. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 02:12 Sepharo

Get over it Creston...
And all you whiners stop posting.
Positive excited comments only.

85. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 01:23 Creston

Ruffiana wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 20:52:
How a developer opts to monetize the content they've paid to create is their business.

Absolutely. And, on the flipside, how people choose to perceive that monetarization is, crazily enough, their business. Just as Bioware has every right to do this, people also have every right to be pissed off about it, or even boycott the game because of it. They don't really "need" to get over their stigma. If they choose to feel ripped off because of it, that's their right.

Creston

84. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 25, 2012, 01:20 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 20:37:
How would a Prothean be relevant to the end of the galaxy by the Reapers, apart from the "bad example" on how not to fight the reapers. They lost in a pretty epic way you know....

And their "last" project was to try to hide and hope the Reapers go away. Thats the only viable Intel you will get from that guy. So lets be realistic, Protheans are a dead race and they lost the war, a living one just makes him a rare specimen, a curiosity. And for that to be optional actually makes sense.

If you do what the Protheans have done you'd lose the game

MASS EFFECT 1 ENDING SPOILERS FOLLOW. DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT :

You're forgetting that it's only because of Vigil that you actually are capable of thwarting Sovereign's plot at the end of ME1. In fact, without the Protheans, Sovereign would have commanded the Keepers to open the Citadel relay, and the Reapers would have again wiped out the galaxy.

So while they were exterminated, the Protheans were eventually the ones who managed to break the cycle. (albeit with a bit of help from a gal named Shepard. )

Creston

83. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 23:37 Bhruic

Possible Spoilers...

Untagged spoilers ahead for those who haven't played ME2

Seems unlikely for a number of reasons. What are left of the Protheans are the Collectors. The "Prothean" that is in the DLC is, from what I've read, similarily a Collector. The Mission that goes with him is something to do with going back to Eden Prime. All of that ties into the ME2 plotline, which would explain why the DLC was described as being for "long-time fans", ie, those who know the whole ME2 backstory, and would appreciate the opportunity to explore it more.

But unless they do something stupid, there shouldn't be many Collectors around - they were all on the base that you either take out or cleanse at the end of ME2. A lone one who got "left behind" or something similar could work, but that's about it. Although the Collectors weren't supposed to have individual intelligence anymore, so I'm not sure what they'll do there.

As for the non-Collector Protheans, well, their big "plan" was the hidden base on the planet from ME1, and we all know what happened there. Everyone dead, with only the VI left intact (and even it got shut down at the end).

Now, considering that they've had the Reapers manage to get to Earth in such a short time, despite the fact that the whole point of ME1 was to stop them from using their "only way of returning" - which we did, it wouldn't surprise me too much if they decided to completely ignore most of what I've talked about, and re-write history, but I'm hoping they came up with a better idea than that.

82. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 22:24 Spektr

I suppose none of these teams are in charge of ironing out the bugs in TOR but a lot of silly bugs I would like squashed before all my characters reach 50 and I stop subscribing.Kinda off topic I know? but then..  

81. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 22:20 eRe4s3r

Huh, what do you know. That'd be pretty cool So maybe their last project did work out after all eh... actually, that'd be a neat story if you find some long-hidden prothean base still operational in some asteroid or whatever...

Actually, the sun Tali was researching in ME2 might even have relevance to that.

Well, we'll know on the 6th...

Don't think you really need to put that into spoilers, its all guessing

80. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 21:41 Tumbler

And their "last" project was to try to hide and hope the Reapers go away. Thats the only viable Intel you will get from that guy. So lets be realistic, Protheans are a dead race and they lost the war, a living one just makes him a rare specimen, a curiosity. And for that to be optional actually makes sense.

Possible Spoilers...

Someone on the internet made a good point about this Prothean being a bit more important than we realize. He suggested that the Prothean's are a major part of this game and maybe they are coming back to help fight against the reavers. Far fetched but it makes a little too much sense considering they just casually throw in this crew member. Seems likely that the Protheans are going to be a big part of the story.

Edit:

Oooh, apparently someone found some voice files they think are the prothean inside the demo files.

Linky

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

79. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 20:52 Ruffiana

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 19:24:
In the case of Day 1 DLC it's bullshit. Sure things get cut all the time from games in development all the time, but if you honestly believe for one second that 4 releases in a row from Bioware, just happened to have "extra" content DLC ready for launch day on a whim, I have a bridge to sell you really cheap.

Not once have I inferred that this was accidental. All I've said is that day one DLC content is most likely content that would have never been part of the core game in the first place. People need to get over this stigma of "day one" and just focus on what's really important: the value of the core game and the value of any DLC sold for that game. Until it's been released, it's all speculation but I feel pretty comfortable making an educated guess based on the previous 2 games in this franchise and quality of the DLC released for them.

78. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 20:37 eRe4s3r

How would a Prothean be relevant to the end of the galaxy by the Reapers, apart from the "bad example" on how not to fight the reapers. They lost in a pretty epic way you know....

If you do what the Protheans have done you'd lose the game

77. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 19:50 nutshell42

Given Mass Effect's story and setting, the fact that a fucking Prothean on your crew is not a cornerstone of the plot is pretty appalling.

I think in my opinion it's actually worse than them selling an essential chara for extra-$$$. In the second case they'd just be greedy assholes, but brilliant greedy assholes.

This just shows that Drew Karpyshyn was the only guy with vision and brains on that project.

76. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 19:24 RollinThundr

Ruffiana wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 19:14:
briktal wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 16:30:
Beamer wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 16:16:
Do we know this is content?
If this stuff is half-baked it isn't content. If having this extra companion, even if they're an extinct species, adds nothing to the game (no quests, no special dialogue, nothing other than really something that looks different and yells different things during combat) I'd argue that it isn't content.

The real problem with these day one DLC characters is that they become half integrated into the game. They'll probably have as much personal quest stuff as the other characters, but they can't be as involved in the main plot of the game as the non-DLC characters, because the game has to work without them.

Why is this a bad thing? It might slightly diminish the quality of the DLC itself, but that's not an inssue with day-one DLC specifically...that's an issue with any DLC that has optional characters. Or really just a problem with non-universal content. Nothing in DLC can be "critical" to the core game.

The other thing with this day one DLC stuff: maybe they did work on it after the game was sent of to cert and blah blah, but it was almost a given, based on past games and industry trends, that there was going to be day one DLC made. If they didn't work on it until the "core" game was finished, did they talk about it before it was done? It might not be actual finished content cut from the main game, but it very well could be content they decided to schedule as day one DLC and not part of the "core" game.

So? You think every bit of content talked about, planned, or even started for a game either makes into the "core" game or is released as DLC later? A lot of the content of any creative endeavor like this ends up cut before a game is "done"...in various stages of completion. Again, what you buy as a game is what you get...not what you don't get, what the developers have decided to sell seperately, and certainly not a perpetual license to any future content.

In the case of Day 1 DLC it's bullshit. Sure things get cut all the time from games in development all the time, but if you honestly believe for one second that 4 releases in a row from Bioware, just happened to have "extra" content DLC ready for launch day on a whim, I have a bridge to sell you really cheap.

Bioware has jumped onto the nickel and dime customers bandwagon with so much gusto even prior to the final sale to EA it's not even funny.

95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo