Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans?

Develop has a report saying it "understands" that one of Blizzard's upcoming projects is a free-to-play game. There are no further details in the report, which they attribute to a "source connected to the matter."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 26, 2012, 10:49 Ant

Free WoW!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 15:05 Endo

Fion wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 01:44:
eunichron wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 23:15:

I'm sure that has absolutely nothing to do with the 1 year free Diablo 3 subscription plan they offered in that quarter. Mean

Funny thing is you could purchase Diablo III three times over for the price of a year of WoW. All those idiots bored to death of the game signed up for a year just to get it free, not even realizing that lol.
Or more likely they figured they're going to pay for another year of WoW anyway, may as well get a free game out of it.

Just because you and I have no interest in playing WoW any more doesn't mean no one else does.

20. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 13:37 Fion

Alamar wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 11:45:

I'm sure that has absolutely nothing to do with the 1 year free Diablo 3 subscription plan they offered in that quarter. Mean

Funny thing is you could purchase Diablo III three times over for the price of a year of WoW. All those idiots bored to death of the game signed up for a year just to get it free, not even realizing that lol.

HAHAHAHA ya... You're so right...

Anyways... I'm sure that everyone that signed up for a free game (assuming they stick with WoW for the year) is a bored idiot... Couldn't be anyone that actually still wants to play that game...

-Alamar

Well yea of course not, that was hyperbole on my part. Still, go figure. I wonder as well how many people got roped into signing up for the year without realizing you cannot cancel your account until that year is over. A lot of non-WoW folks don't realize, but the agreement isn't 'purchase a year of WoW' it's 'agree to purchase WoW for one year at any price plan'. So it locks your account and you are forced to pay for the game for a year. In exchange you get a mount they would have charged $20 for like all the others, and Diablo 3, payed for three times over.

On the topic of Blizzard Dota. If they actually are making a DOTA game, we'll probably get to see screenshots in about four years and a release date in six or seven.

19. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 11:45 Alamar

HAHAHAHA ya... You're so right...

Anyways... I'm sure that everyone that signed up for a free game (assuming they stick with WoW for the year) is a bored idiot... Couldn't be anyone that actually still wants to play that game...

-Alamar

18. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 09:21 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 07:51:
They've been working on Titan for at least 4-5 years now (no telling how long they were working on it before news of it started to leak out in 2007). You'd think they'd be getting close to start giving hints about the nature of the game at least...

I suspect they cancelled Blizzcon this year to roll out Titan - or rather, the announcement of it. WoW is starting to go down faster than a hooker at a naval yard so they're really trying to get Titan ready to go for 2013. I think Diablo 3 will be the last of Blizzard's games that are announced that far off from launch. I suspect Bobby is pushing them to cut corners and accelerate development where possible from now on.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 07:51 Mr. Tact

They've been working on Titan for at least 4-5 years now (no telling how long they were working on it before news of it started to leak out in 2007). You'd think they'd be getting close to start giving hints about the nature of the game at least...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 05:25 Dev

Yakubs wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 22:17:
Dev wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 21:22:
I doubt it, they need a replacement for WoW since its started losing subscribers.

Wrong way to look at it. They don't want to cannibalize WoW, even if it's losing subscribers (that rate of attrition, btw, has slowed considerably in the last quarter). They'll want to offer one subscription service (WoW) and alternative games, a free-to-play Titan almost certainly one of them.
I agree, but by the time titan is done (remember this is blizzard, it will take years to finish AFTER they start releasing details, and they haven't even done that yet) they will need a replacement subscriber model game. I agree they should get into F2P also, but I doubt titan is that thing.

15. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 01:55 Sepharo

eunichron wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 00:44:
MattyC wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 23:41:
From the SC2 page it looks like it is still very much a SC2 mod. That said, Blizzard isn't the swiftest to update its sites, so who knows.

Yeah, true enough, but I did some searching and found this; Blizzard DOTA rumor

Just a rumor, I guess, but it seems like a fairly solid rumor.

I think that slide from the conference call makes it more than a rumor.

14. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 01:44 Fion

13. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 01:12 .Drifter

Rock and Roll Racing online.
Make it so.

12. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 00:44 eunichron

MattyC wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 23:41:
From the SC2 page it looks like it is still very much a SC2 mod. That said, Blizzard isn't the swiftest to update its sites, so who knows.

Yeah, true enough, but I did some searching and found this; Blizzard DOTA rumor

Just a rumor, I guess, but it seems like a fairly solid rumor.

11. ! Feb 23, 2012, 23:42 Blackhawk

WoW is losing subscribers, but it is still the single largest money maker the company has. They aren't going to fiddle with that too much.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2012, 09:02.

10. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 23, 2012, 23:41 MattyC

that rate of attrition, btw, has slowed considerably in the last quarter)

Didn't they just announce that Blizzard DOTA will be a standalone game, rather than an SC2 mod? Makes total sense that that would be the candidate then.

9. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 23, 2012, 23:15 eunichron

that rate of attrition, btw, has slowed considerably in the last quarter)

Didn't they just announce that Blizzard DOTA will be a standalone game, rather than an SC2 mod? Makes total sense that that would be the candidate then.

8. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 23, 2012, 22:17 Yakubs

Dev wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 21:22:
I doubt it, they need a replacement for WoW since its started losing subscribers.

Wrong way to look at it. They don't want to cannibalize WoW, even if it's losing subscribers (that rate of attrition, btw, has slowed considerably in the last quarter). They'll want to offer one subscription service (WoW) and alternative games, a free-to-play Titan almost certainly one of them.

7. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 23, 2012, 21:22 Dev

Fion wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 21:07:
It may well be their unannounced 'titan' MMOG. It has been long rumored to be a very casual focused game. And yea, no matter what it is it'll be absolutely pay to win. Activision could never let go of possible monetization.

Actually, what if after they finished Titan, they made WoW F2P and changed its auction house to real money like diablo? I could see that.

6. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 23, 2012, 21:11 Sempai

Yawn..  

5. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 23, 2012, 21:07 Fion

It may well be their unannounced 'titan' MMOG. It has been long rumored to be a very casual focused game. And yea, no matter what it is it'll be absolutely pay to win. Activision could never let go of possible monetization.  

4. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 23, 2012, 20:50 Fati

Blizzard DOTA seems to be the most obvious candidate to be F2P of the games we already know about.  

3. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 23, 2012, 20:30 nin

Not surprised at all.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo