Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Terraria Grounded

The Terraria Website has word that development the game is at an end (thanks nin via Rock, Paper, Shotgun). Here's word:

The future of Terraria has been highly debated as of late, not just with the community, but for us as well. The last year has been a crazy ride! When I started on this game, I just had a few ideas of what I thought would make a fun game. I had no idea that it would receive so much attention. I want to thank all of you for supporting us and making this game's success possible.

After a lot of internal debate, we have decided that it is time to move on. My wife and I are due to have another boy soon, and I want to spend some time getting to know him. I also want to spend the time recharging and bettering myself as both a programmer and game designer. I have learned a lot from working on Terraria and plan on using what I've learned, building upon it, and moving forward with another, even better project. However, we are still planning at least one more bug fix for Terraria.

For those that haven't already heard, Finn "Tiy" Brice has moved on to form Chucklefish and is heavily at work on an exciting new game called “Starbound”. It's looking to be a lot of fun, so make sure to check it out if you haven't already!

Thanks again for all your support, and I am very much looking forward to providing you with something much better than Terraria in the future!

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 21:19 Mr. Tact

Great game, I really enjoyed it. I hope they made enough money that they never have to work again if they don't want to.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 20:05 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 13:56:
Gaslamp Games, the creators of Dungeons of Dredmor, have offered to take over support of the game, so let's cross our fingers.
That would require IP transfer or at least licensing, so he may well decide not to.

Kinda like Lucasarts isn't about to sell Grim Fandango or Full Throttle, even though they plan to never touch it again.

22. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 18:17 Alamar

Verno wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 13:07:
Oh well, maybe next time. I would have loved to dive into modding for this game but I stay far away from anything without a rudimentary API.

What kind of modding (other than the maps mentioned below) are you referring to? I think it'd be cool if you could add new ores/biomes and of course, mobs, bosses, etc... But then that would only work for 'that' character, and would screw up multiplayer (and moreso competitive MP with people making their own uber gear).

After I got bored with the 'initial' game, I looked at some of the maps out there... Some of the adventure/survival ones are neat... I prefer them in some ways to the real game, because it's based more on challenge and progression than the luck of finding the right ore at the right time (so ta speak).

I did, however, after being more experienced with the game, start a fresh new character and large world, and play through without cheating (looking at a map). Some times sucked, like trying to find gold ore, with spelunker potions not being an option yet.

Anyhow, I am sad to see it go, but on the plus side, for me, this means no mobile Terraria, so less competition, woot : )

-Alamar

21. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 15:07 Fion

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 13:56:
Gaslamp Games, the creators of Dungeons of Dredmor, have offered to take over support of the game, so let's cross our fingers.

That'd be sweet.

20. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 14:15 avianflu

I sense some very real occupational burnout too, which is understandable.

19. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 13:56 jacobvandy

18. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 13:46 xXBatmanXx

I was a late bloomer in this game - had a lot of fun with it.

WOuld be cool if it was picked up by someone...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

17. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 13:16 venomhed

I just recently got into this game last month and really enjoyed it! I haven't tried the multiplayer but plan to have a dedicated server going for some time. Really like it, very fun, very original and addicting!

Kids? Ya, kids are fucking lame and bring very little joy for the amount of pain. They suck your free time, your life, your wife turns into a pig, and you lose your money.

Wonderful... glad I never had any and never will.

16. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 13:07 Verno

Satoru wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 13:01:
I think they didn't like modders because it mostly just created more support headaches for people. Then people would complain why their games crashed and such and blame them for it.

Yeah maybe that was their reasoning, I can't really recall the specifics beyond seeing them be super bitchy to modders on the forums. I think they created their own support problems by not adding basic multiplayer features or dragging their feet. The Terraria server software is about as barebones as they come and doesn't take into account basic protection needs for community stuff, let alone people who wanted to actually create content for the game.

Oh well, maybe next time. I would have loved to dive into modding for this game but I stay far away from anything without a rudimentary API.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

15. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 13:01 Satoru

I think they didn't like modders because it mostly just created more support headaches for people. Then people would complain why their games crashed and such and blame them for it.

But yeah for less than the price of a cup of coffee I've logged WAY TOO MANY hours into Terraria (managed to snag it the first time it went 75% off for 4 hours). Pennies per hour of enjoyment and worth every single one.

14. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 12:45 J

Hudson wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 12:07:
Fucking kids man
They ruin everything. FUCK KIDS
Chris Hansen would like you to take a seat over there...

13. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 12:10 ASeven

Verno wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 12:02:
One thing I lament is that he never did an official API or SDK. In fact they were frequently hostile to outside modders which I never really understood but oh well. That's a minor disappointment in the overall scheme, I more than got my moneys worth.

This. Wish they had released modtools but still great game with tons of content.

12. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 12:07 Angrius Maximis

Fucking kids man
They ruin everything. FUCK KIDS

11. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 12:02 Verno

One thing I lament is that he never did an official API or SDK. In fact they were frequently hostile to outside modders which I never really understood but oh well. That's a minor disappointment in the overall scheme, I more than got my moneys worth.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

10. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 11:33 The Pyro

The end of official new content can actually be a good thing if you think about it. Modders no longer have to worry about future changes breaking their mods, so they're free to improve more aspects of the game.

I agree that the volume of content added since release is quite impressive. I find it ridiculous that anyone would stop their feet and demand more, especially given the game's low price point.

In the future I hope to see more mods which improve the world generation process. There's a lot of room for cool stuff there - I'd love to dive into it myself if I had time.

9. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 11:14 tskiller

Am I disappointed? Yeah. Angry or upset at the guy? Not at all.

I loved the game, it was worth every penny and then some. I'm grateful for all he did to add to it thus far, and while I'd love another world or whatnot done to it they've already supported the game far more than most professional jobs would have.

can't wait to see what his next game will be once he is back in the saddle.

8. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 10:46 Bhruic

Well, this is disappointing, not because I expected more content, but because I'd really like it if there was. And while I don't like DLC in general, for a game like this, I would have happily paid for it (well, assuming it added something worthwhile).

Still, I got more than my money's worth for it by far - over 100hrs played.

7. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 10:39 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 09:39:
I'm a little surprised by some of the posts I've seen here and there, expecting him to just continue adding things. I felt like he did great post-release support and additions, and I certainly didn't expect them to continue forever.

Great game, and congrats to him. I look forward to what he does next.

I had the same experience hearing this news. I was in a room on voice chat with some friends and one of them was talking about seeing this news on reddit, and all of a sudden I hear nothing but negative tones and vows to not get his next project/game.

I couldn't help but feel that some folks were being a bit too ridiculous about this, as if just because they bought a $5 steam game they are entitled to updates for life? It was a great little game, was updated extensively, with close to 2 times the amount of original content.. and he said he would release a final bug-fix.

I'm also looking forward to his next project.

6. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 10:15 Dev

Yeah I logged more time in this than minecraft. I got well more than my $10 out of it.

I still need to go back and replay this since he added all the stuff in the last couple patches.

I would pay for DLC for this game too, its too bad he doesn't want to keep going. Or if he could add mod support before he drops it, then the community could support it. Or if he opensourced it, or something. Oh well.

I'll definitely have to keep an eye on starbound. I like sci-fi games and if its a nice open game that would be great.

Anyway, its actually nice that they announce it. You rarely see an announcement like that, usually things just die off with no announcement.

5. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 10:05 HoSpanky

Yeah, he's basically got me sold on whatever his next project is. I've got 144 hours logged in Terraria according to Steam, which sits right next to my time played in Starcraft II. I'm somewhat relieved that he's done adding to the game, I can safely walk away now. Probably.  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo