Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 in September

A new trailer from Borderlands 2 offers more of a look a the stylized cel-shaded graphics and well-armed gameplay from Gearbox Software's upcoming role-playing shooter sequel. The clip is called a launch trailer, which is actually premature, something we can now say with certainly, since it reveals the release dates for the game, saying it's due for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 in North America on September 18th, and internationally on September 21st.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 26, 2012, 17:50 Dades

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 05:10:
meh. I really enjoyed the game. Played through 1.5 times, and still jump in with friends once in a while. I was able to tweak things out of the box with a simple google search. I am not a console player, I dont need a checkbox in the menu to do FOV....

Some people prefer officially supported ways of doing these things rather than fooling around with an ini file. As if tweaking the FOV was the only problem people had with Borderlands

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 26, 2012, 05:10 xXBatmanXx

meh. I really enjoyed the game. Played through 1.5 times, and still jump in with friends once in a while. I was able to tweak things out of the box with a simple google search. I am not a console player, I dont need a checkbox in the menu to do FOV....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

43. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 23, 2012, 16:04 avianflu

i enjoyed it well enough as a 3d diablo 2 clone. Its all about the lootage. The zombie DLC was a nice touch.

42. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 23, 2012, 13:02 Verno

Yeah I've never understood how people defend the MP in Borderlands, it was pretty dumb. The mobs didn't get increased abilities or anything interesting, it just became a bullet sponge exercise where more things spawned and did more damage. The quest system didn't hook into the MP well at all. It had no online secure multiplayer, hacks and dupes were insane in any form of public play (when the game worked at all). Shit was broken for over a month after release, hell they released DLC before they even fixed the MP. There were no unique modes or anything inventive, it was just the same silly repetition as the SP.

The most fun I had in Borderlands with friends was smashing the dumb buggies into each other while drunk. Playing with booze and friends is easily accomplished anywhere, I sometimes think people are confusing fond memories of drunken times with Borderlands being good

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

41. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 23, 2012, 12:30 KTR

Darks wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 14:38:
KTR wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 13:20:
I found the first Borderlands to be subpar at best. Dunno what people saw in that game. The concept is gold, but the execution was terrible.

Your problem is that you never played it with three other friends. The game rocked playing it four players Coop. That’s where the real fun was.

How do you know I didn't try co-op. That was the first thing I tried!

Online was terrible on the PC. Being that it used Gamespy. You had to go beyond simple port forwarding to get it to work. Then once you get in a game with your buddies, you find out the AI is so stupid, that it can only target, if lucky, two people at a time. Gearbox (who I think are terrible devs, btw) fixed it like 5 months after release. By then, every one moved on.

40. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 23, 2012, 10:56 eRe4s3r

You can say that because broken FOV doesn't make you physically sick, it does for me (if its first person anyway). Hence my complaint is valid and hence I will complain and harass developers till said developers stop doing this. And to me, there is no game issue greater than a broken FOV - if it would make you sick you would understand.

Ok, maybe some forms of DRM are a greater Issue, but that'd be about it

39. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 23, 2012, 07:34 Beamer

Skyrim FOV feels off on consoles, too. When I'm dual-wielding (even just with a spell, which is how I usually am) I feel very claustrophobic. It's like your character is holding his hands in front of each eye, about 4 inches away.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 23, 2012, 07:31 Dades

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 23:59:
Weird rant? Definitely, but then I loath FOV issues in games.

Also by far not every game ships without adjustable FOV, only total POS console ports do. Darkness II, Bioshock II, Homefront.

Big AAA games have fov options, Skyrim since TES:Morrowind (console fov 90) - BF3 even has a dedicated option in the settings. BC2 via config file. BF2 via config file. BF1942 via config file. DX HR = Fov option.

So yeah, this isn't something thats far spread, its just something thats far spread when developers don't give a shit.

You're a long winded little fellow. When I said unadjustable, I meant through an actual supported GUI option. Most games do not ship with this. It's not the developers fault and publishers don't demand anything, they simply do not provide the time or money to do these things most of the time. It's all most developers can do to get the game out of door on time. Everyone wants FOV options in their games but it's not something you need to harass the developers about when there are usually far more important things broken at release.

37. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 23, 2012, 00:08 HorrorScope

I found the first Borderlands to be subpar at best. Dunno what people saw in that game. The concept is gold, but the execution was terrible.

Why? Because all games really suck, so you find one's you like from all the suckage.

36. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 22, 2012, 23:59 eRe4s3r

Tinkering with ini files and console commands is not "unadjustable out of the box" ^^

There is only very very few games that are FOV deadlocked, and Digital Extremes is the PRIME developer that does this (only one I would even consider email-bombing ,p)

The sad thing is, mostly any UE3 engine game has deadlocked FOV because of retarded developers, and not because publishers want it. So only way to make them listen is to make them suffer. And then theres that Developer that does it out of spite, just to piss of pc-gamers -> Digital Extremes.

But fair enough, maybe one should go over to twitter bomb them instead, if their twitter account becomes unusable they might listen.

At this point, i simply don't buy the "publishers demand it" excuse. No publisher ever demands to gimp options or encrypt them in a encoded ini. That is developers doing it. And those developers need to suffer any kind of possible abuse until they stop.

Weird rant? Definitely, but then I loath FOV issues in games.

Also by far not every game ships without adjustable FOV, only total POS console ports do. Darkness II, Bioshock II, Homefront.

Big AAA games have fov options, Skyrim since TES:Morrowind (console fov 90) - BF3 even has a dedicated option in the settings. BC2 via config file. BF2 via config file. BF1942 via config file. DX HR = Fov option.

So yeah, this isn't something thats far spread, its just something thats far spread when developers don't give a shit.

35. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 22, 2012, 23:22 Dades

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 22:14:
You can bet that bitching on forums for each game that does crap-fov WILL change it.

Developers are scared shitless of negative PR - all it takes is enough people to spread negative opinion about a game for it to become a stinker. Look at Darkness II if you don't believe me I know of several people who even send the devs of that angry emails. If anything, more emails will clutter up their inbox for as long as they don't change it. Also FOV is not a artistic choice, its a biological necessity for the FOV to be larger if you sit closer to the screen.

What a fucking weird rant. Practically every game ships with unadjustable out of the box console FOV that either needs to be fixed by tinkering with ini files or modded in some way. Email bombing developers will not accomplish anything, they aren't the problem in the first place and these days people are better off contacting publishers on twitter.

34. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 22, 2012, 22:18 Prez

nin wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 14:31:

That was my impression exactly. It reminded me a bit of Hellgate, in it sounded like a great concept (first person diablo loot fest) but was horribly implemented.

Yeah, I can't put my finger on why I loved it so much beyond saying for me it felt like so much more than the sum of its parts, many of which were admittedly sub-par. But I played hundreds of hours of it (more than half in singleplayer, which unlike others I dug too) and enjoyed it immensely. I never stopped getting excited at the prospect of finding a high level super rare Atlas gun. I guess I'm a "carrot gamer".

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 22, 2012, 22:14 eRe4s3r

You can bet that bitching on forums for each game that does crap-fov WILL change it.

Developers are scared shitless of negative PR - all it takes is enough people to spread negative opinion about a game for it to become a stinker. Look at Darkness II if you don't believe me I know of several people who even send the devs of that angry emails. If anything, more emails will clutter up their inbox for as long as they don't change it.

Also FOV is not a artistic choice, its a biological necessity for the FOV to be larger if you sit closer to the screen.

32. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 22, 2012, 20:30 Lorcin

Dev wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 20:24:
Yeah, no. That may be what they SAY they are using smaller FOV for, but thats not actually WHY they are doing it. They are doing it because they need the performance boost on obsolete consoles.

Why can they widen it at so much as the touch of a sprint button then?

31. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 22, 2012, 20:24 Dev

Lorcin wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 20:14:
As for the fixed FOV - it's a cheap trick used to heighten the sense of danger and panic and it's used by nearly every developer.
Yeah, no. That may be what they SAY they are using smaller FOV for, but thats not actually WHY they are doing it. They are doing it because they need the performance boost on obsolete consoles.

30. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 22, 2012, 20:14 Lorcin

Dev wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 16:49:
Or how about making them OPTIONS that are like OPTIONAL so people who prefer consolized ports can enjoy it and others who prefer a larger FOV and don't have gamepad but instead would prefer GUI mouse/keyboard shortcuts can use them. That way both types of players could enjoy it

I wouldn't bitch about optional hot key's on menus - but the game pauses to use the menu anyway so being mouse only just saved me from learning the hotkeys. As for the fixed FOV - it's a cheap trick used to heighten the sense of danger and panic and it's used by nearly every developer. Ultimately it's a trade off - the narrower the FOV the higher the tension and therefore excitement but at the same time the immersion is lessoned. Gearbox obviously want Borderlands (2) to be an in your face game so have made the FOV narrow.

End of the day - if you don't like the FOV don't buy the game. Bitching on forums ain't going to make developers change it and getting angry over such pointless things can't be good for your health.

29. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 22, 2012, 16:49 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 13:26:
No FOV differences, no menu's having keyboard commands, just make it look prettier than my console but everything else is identical!
Or how about making them OPTIONS that are like OPTIONAL so people who prefer consolized ports can enjoy it and others who prefer a larger FOV and don't have gamepad but instead would prefer GUI mouse/keyboard shortcuts can use them. That way both types of players could enjoy it

28. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 22, 2012, 16:31 everyone

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 12:34:
Also i maintain, that this is not "artsy" cel shading but a lazy ass attempt at saving money for art assets. The game looks absolutely terribly with low-res textures and low poly counts. Hard to believe this is coming out in 2012
They didn't switch to that style until late in the first game's development, so if anything it created more work. And it looks good.

27. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 22, 2012, 16:16 Beamer

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 15:58:
I don't know if this was brought up yet or not but owell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDoAQUTVsg&feature=related

Wasn't a huge fan of him in the game, but love Claptrap out of it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Borderlands 2 in September Feb 22, 2012, 15:58 Wallshadows

I don't know if this was brought up yet or not but owell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDoAQUTVsg&feature=related

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo