Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday

Hi-Rez Studios announces that the closed beta testing of Tribes: Ascend will be opened to all comers on Friday, offering the chance for anyone who is interested to check out the upcoming multiplayer first-person shooter. Players will be able to create accounts on the Tribes Ascend Website on Friday at 17:00 GMT and download and play the game at that time with no beta key, and they are gearing up for new players with expanded capacity in North America, Europe, and Australia, and new local servers in Brazil and Asia. A new patch for the game is going live this week with the following changes:

• New gametype, Arena Deathmatch, with two initial maps
  • New Capture The Flag map, Temple Ruins
  • New Team Deathmatch map, Inferno
  • Two new unlockable items for the Soldier class: Proximity Grenade and Utility Pack
  • New default suits for Doombringer and Brute
  • Ability to view either Blood Eagle or Diamond Sword skins from Class menu
  • Service supporting Name Change
  • Large number of bug-fixes and balance adjustments.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 23, 2012, 07:39 Shataan

I highly doubt Ass-end will rival the Original Tribes 1. It`d be cool for the Original players tho if it at least comes close. Imho, only someone who loved and played the crap out of the original way back then, could make decent Tribes revamp.

All Tribes 1 would need is a graphics update. Just remake it. Maybe update to mocap movements. Beefier sounds as well. Done. But someone is always gonna try to make their take ON Tribes. If it ain`t broke, don`t fix it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 23, 2012, 00:42 Jerykk

Is it better than the original Tribes games?

No. Tribes 1 is still the greatest multiplayer shooter ever made. Base Tribes, that is. Never cared for any of the mods.

As a Tribes1+ShifterX vet, I have to say they did a lot of things right, and a lot of things wrong.

It shouldn't be even remotely possible for one light armor to snag the flag by themselves.

The indoor areas should have actual geometry, importance and presence. In Ascend they feel like holes punched through outdoor landscape and retextured.

Some weapons in Tribes specifically worked much better indoors (chainguns and plasma guns), in Ascend chainguns are inexplicably used outdoors.

People get too small at the distance way too fast, resembling gameplay of a space shooter, and there's something wrong with the angles/distances. In Tribes you could stand near a massive armor and know that it is massive. In this game they're all ... small, somehow.

It's pretty interesting how people had vastly different experiences with Tribes. Pretty much everything you just said is the exact opposite of what Base players enjoyed about T1. We hated the vehicles, the big, complex bases, etc. Chainguns were the most commonly used weapon for chasing cappers. With a good route and sufficient skill, you could get up to insane speeds and heights. In Base, targets were usually tiny because they could move so fast.

If you want a good idea of what T1 Base players want out of a Tribes game, watch the Legacy series of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3IlLAK0B6g&feature=fvsr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOAaixGw27o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFWeGnONPu0&feature=related

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2012, 00:48.

19. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 23, 2012, 00:36 Steele Johnson

You guys do realize that the game is in beta and still under development, right? They're still making BIG changes, not little tweaks. If you're going to complain like whiny babies, do your freakin' job and submit your beta feedback to the developers like you should when you get invited to a BETA TEST!!!  

18. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 20:58 shihonage

@Ant: You have to bear with starting off really weak, not unlike in an MMO.

But a dozen matches later you'll upgrade enough to actually be able to kill someone.

I recommend starting playing Juggernaut, because he has powerful mortar and a good spinfusor, and you can do defense immediately.

17. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 20:53 Ant

Is it better than the original Tribes games? They were OK to me. I wonder if I will like this one.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 20:10 SimplyMonk

Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 18:57:
I would have been interested in getting to like this game (even if it's only Tribes in name) if it worked in 3d. As it stands I'm quickly losing interest in supporting developers who desperately cling on to last millenia's tech and try to force it onto everyone.

3D is a vain attempt that the entertainment industry to raise the level of immersion in their products without really doing anything or thinking to hard and charge you more money. It is gimmickry that has existed for the past 60 years and in my opinion Avatar has been the only product that can validate its existence. Even though the plot was wholly predictable and uninspiring, the visuals made up for it.

You give me virtual reality and we'll talk. Till then, keep your funny glasses.

15. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 20:04 shihonage

@Orogogus: actually, there was much hype about Tribes being the first engine to truly master indoor to outdoor transitions. I believe it wasn't just on renderer level (more detail indoors), but in how the game accomodates battles in environments both expansive and small.

The Plasma Rifle, even in base Tribes, was a powerful, slow weapon, great for indoor fights, yet I don't see it in Ascend (at my level of unlocks, at least), as I don't see generally much attention paid to the indoor combat. It's pretty much outdoors within small confines.

So yes, indoors were HONORED.

Finally, I was mostly talking Tribes+Shifter mods, not "base Tribes". Without the base Tribes, however, those mods wouldn't exist. And they wouldn't be able to save a shitty foundation.

14. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 19:54 Orogogus

shihonage wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 19:44:
indoor areas were HONORED.
Yeesh... When someone writes something like that, it makes me hope that the developers do the opposite of everything they say. It's a little over the top.

Base Tribes was the most turret and vehicle unfriendly of all the iterations. High speed heavy skiing was kind of the order of the day. The mods were a different beast altogether.

13. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 19:44 shihonage

@PHJF: Yep I filed a beta report detailing some of that stuff.

In Tribes, generators and turrets had PRESENCE, indoor areas were HONORED. They felt different from outdoors, they had a purpose and provided incentive to go inside.

Why? Because TURRETS MATTERED. The team's ability to make VEHICLES MATTERED. Vehicles had a purpose, and they were awesome.

Tribes with ShifterX had probably the most fun FPS gameplay I've ever seen, because of all the creative stuff you could do. Yes, you could sometimes go Rambo by your lonesome, but it required creativity, timing, strategy. You could set teleport points behind enemy base, defend generator within a web of forcefields, and repairing stuff was both necessary and fun.

And, as I recall, the flag wasn't always waving like a dick in the wind, outdoors, free to take by any light armor that swings by.

Too few people seem to realize that the only part of code that advanced since the days of yore is the RENDERER.

Underlying gameplay mechanics in games such as Mechwarrior2/Battlezone/I76, Fallout1/2, X-Com 1/2, were far superior in complexity and ingenious in design than what is powering most modern "games".

To a degree, that was true for Tribes as well. It had an unmistakable feel, and some ingenious mods made it reach its true potential.

12. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 19:37 shihonage

@Mr. Anisotropic: People actually use 3D? Talk about clinging on to last century's tech.

Wake me up when we have 3D that doesn't cause eyestrain, headaches, nausea, image degradation, and allows more than one person to see what's happening in 3D.

11. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 18:57 Mr. Anisotonic

I would have been interested in getting to like this game (even if it's only Tribes in name) if it worked in 3d. As it stands I'm quickly losing interest in supporting developers who desperately cling on to last millenia's tech and try to force it onto everyone.  

10. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 18:42 PHJF

It shouldn't be even remotely possible for one light armor to snag the flag by themselves.

Like I said in another thread, they don't give default classes ANY ABILITY AT ALL to defend the flag. It's gotten a little better since I unlocked sentinel and now have mines (why the FUCK does the SNIPER class have the MINES?).

Force fields are worthless because generators go down in fucking seconds from any class (and even if the generator stayed up for more than five seconds, almost every flag can be picked up from any fucking direction because of shit map design), base turrets can't hit a fucking thing, and vehicles are hopelessly pathetic.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 17:01 shihonage

As a Tribes1+ShifterX vet, I have to say they did a lot of things right, and a lot of things wrong.

The indoor areas should have actual geometry, importance and presence. In Ascend they feel like holes punched through outdoor landscape and retextured.

Some weapons in Tribes specifically worked much better indoors (chainguns and plasma guns), in Ascend chainguns are inexplicably used outdoors.

People get too small at the distance way too fast, resembling gameplay of a space shooter, and there's something wrong with the angles/distances. In Tribes you could stand near a massive armor and know that it is massive. In this game they're all ... small, somehow.

That said... since almost no one is playing the far superior Quake Wars, and I don't want to feel like the old fart behind the times, I've managed to get myself addicted to this game instead.

8. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 16:56 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 11:56:
Jackplug wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 11:08:
I have to say from being a Tribes 1 vet that the maps bore me silly, there are no really good Tribes 1 maps as they all feel like Tribes 2 ones which means they are flat and boring with a few bumps in them.

I agree the maps could use some love but the combat is crazy hard to get used to again.

They've tweaked the weapon speeds. I *think* everything is actually slower than in T2 at least.

But yes, we need some gargantuan maps Tribes 1 style.

7. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 16:11 DangerDog

Still no love for Defend and Destroy game mode.  

6. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 11:56 Cutter

Jackplug wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 11:08:
I have to say from being a Tribes 1 vet that the maps bore me silly, there are no really good Tribes 1 maps as they all feel like Tribes 2 ones which means they are flat and boring with a few bumps in them.

I agree the maps could use some love but the combat is crazy hard to get used to again.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 11:08 Jackplug

4. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 11:00 Lokust

It's pretty much already an open beta. All you have to do to get in is like them on facebook.  

3. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 10:59 Esoteric

Looking forward to the new CTF map and new game mode.  

2. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Opens Friday Feb 22, 2012, 10:48 Dr.Hamstring

I've been having way to much fun killing rabbits with this tribes. They nailed the movement and combat.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo