Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart

An interview on VentureBeat talks with Double Fine's Tim Schafer about the company's phenominally successful Kickstarter campaign. He talks about their surprise at all the cash this has raked in, the prospects of having TV cameras document early development of the game the campaign is funding, and his outlook on how their campaign may or may not impact the traditional game publishing paradigm:

“I think people have asked, ‘Is this a game changer? Is this going to revolutionize game production? Are the publishers doomed?’ And I don’t think it’s that extreme, but I also think when people dismiss it as just a one-off deal that only Double Fine could have done — and it only could be done once — I think that’s not true either,” he said. “I think as long as someone else comes up with a similar story, whether it’s a game or not — just the right project, the right person making it, the right time, and a reason why only something like Kickstarter could fund it — I think you could have another explosive funding project on your hands.”

“I think it’s a great way for a lot of projects, games or not games, to be made whenever the ‘gatekeepers’ — the big companies that decide what gets made and what doesn’t get made — are not serving certain segments of the fan base,” he added. “And enough of those fans can use the Internet to coordinate and kind of pool their resources. They can make it happen for themselves instead of waiting for these gatekeepers to do it.”

Schafer says it’s the relationship between creators and backers that makes the Kickstarter process interesting. “Instead of making a game and risking all your money and hoping the fans show up, here the fans are showing up at the beginning. So the risk is over and they’re paying for the game in advance, essentially. And what that requires is just a lot of trust and faith that we’ve built up doing this for 10 years with Double Fine and 10 years before that with LucasArts. Hopefully, we’ve built up enough trust where they feel like I’m gonna do my best to deliver something worthwhile to them.”

View
13. Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Feb 22, 2012, 15:37 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 10:57:
Wildone wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 10:55:
I wish someone would do this for a next gen space sim/X-wing affair I'd donate my $100!!!!!

Yeah, I was watching totalbiscuit play SOL, and it didn't look overly impressive. Was hoping it might scratch that itch, but it doesn't look like it.

It won't. It's very, very bland. It reminds of the flood of space "sim" games that came out of eastern Europe 4-5 years back. The graphics are "meh" and the story is about as two dimensional blue sky hero as they come.

Don't waste the money. Go back and reinstall Freelancer.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 22, 10:31 Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart nin
  2. Feb 22, 10:55  Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Wildone
  3. Feb 22, 10:57   Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart nin
>> 13. Feb 22, 15:37    Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Burrito of Peace
  12. Feb 22, 15:15   Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart theyarecomingforyou
  14. Feb 22, 15:51   Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Dev
  4. Feb 22, 11:43  Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Halo
  5. Feb 22, 11:49   Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart nin
  6. Feb 22, 12:08 Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Cutter
  9. Feb 22, 13:04  Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Elessar
  15. Feb 22, 17:42  Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Prez
  16. Feb 23, 06:46   Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Agrajag
  17. Feb 23, 07:36    Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Beamer
  18. Feb 23, 09:43     Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Agrajag
  19. Feb 23, 09:52      Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Beamer
  7. Feb 22, 12:26 Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Yakubs
  11. Feb 22, 14:29  Re: Tim Schafer on Double Fine's Kickstart Dev