Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ShootMania Storm This Year; Screenshots; Previews

The ShootMania Storm Website offers the first six screenshots from Nadeo's upcoming first-person shooter, along with word to expect its release this year, as they say: "ShootMania Storm is coming out this year! A fast paced FPS where players like you are given the central stage. Come to enjoy the pure online madness in 1v1 or team based battles. You decide what you want to play, and if it is not available, it's up to you to create it and show the ManiaPlanet gaming network what you are all about. For fun or competition, Storm will be out soon to bring you thrilling games!" There are English-language previews on Eurogamer, IGN, and PC Gamer, and this forum thread has links to previews in other languages. Thanks Frans.

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: ShootMania Storm This Year; Screenshots; Previews Feb 22, 2012, 05:58 peteham

Jensen wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 01:11:
There are already a lot of FPS games with full-featured level editors. I'd rather Nadeo give more modding capability to Trackmania... custom blocks and car handling models. It would be cool if modders could create new environments.
No disagreement about moddability.. It would be cool if modders could create their own environments indeed.

But to be fair, assuming Shootmania has the same characteristics as Trackmania, which should be a safe assumption as it's supposedly the same engine, then just about anyone will be able to instantly jump into Shootmania's editor and build something that works and plays at least OK. By comparison, getting started with something like UDK or Hammer requires hours of investment to even get a simple boxmap running. You'll have vastly more power to create exactly what you want, but that's also reflected in the time you're going to have to invest to even get started, let alone finish a project. You will never see thousands of maps for other FPSs, which is what you can expect from Shootmania. There's also the matter of filesize, where the Trackmania engine model allows for maps small enough that if the player doesn't have it, it's just fetched from the server during the mapswitch without the player even noticing. This is pretty key for a system built around there being hundreds of thousands of player-created maps.

My main skepticism with regards to Shootmania aside from their ability to nail the gameplay itself, though, is that I'm not sure Trackmania-like map-variety is something that really works for FPS. Look at CS for instance; they've been playing mainly de_dust for a decade. Players like playing the same old maps over and over again, and learning a new FPS maps can be something of a chore. Imagine the Trackmania world where you can barely find a server with a map you've played before, and apply it to FPS.

I'd also argue that building a good FPS map is considerably harder than building a racing track. FPS multiplayer-maps take a lot of polishing and balancing to get right, and when you (presumably) have little control over the finer points of the map due to using large prefab tiles (i.e. you can't just carve out a new doorway through a wall to make a power-up more easily-accessible as a result of playtesting), that could be hard to achieve. While 5 minutes on a bad racing track can be tolerable, 5 minutes on an atrocious FPS map will make people leave servers faster than you can say "Next map please!".

I'll keep half an eye on this, but I'm not expecting it to be very successful.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: ShootMania Storm This Year; Screenshots; Previews Feb 22, 2012, 01:11 Jensen

There are already a lot of FPS games with full-featured level editors. I'd rather Nadeo give more modding capability to Trackmania... custom blocks and car handling models. It would be cool if modders could create new environments.  

1. Re: ShootMania Storm This Year; Screenshots; Previews Feb 21, 2012, 22:11 Wildone

wow 1996 is back  

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo