Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision Denies Blacklisting

Following up on a report last week from a French website claiming to have been uninvited from an event by Activision over reporting a Black Ops 2 rumor, VentureBeat has word from Activision that this is a "misunderstanding," saying: "Activision doesn’t blacklist journalists. We believe this was a misunderstanding and are working towards a resolution." Thanks GamesIndustry.biz (registration required).

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Activision Denies Blacklisting Feb 21, 2012, 18:00 Prez

A misunderstanding. Riiiight. Rolleyes  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Activision Denies Blacklisting Feb 21, 2012, 17:11 Fati

Ok, Activision. You don't blacklist journalists. Who do you blacklist, then?  

9. Re: Activision Denies Blacklisting Feb 21, 2012, 14:44 William Usher

Realistically, Tumbler, they didn't even need to announce Black Ops 2. Ironically, shortly after this incident started they announced Call of Duty for the PSV.

Common sense PR would have had them take down the Amazon listing like you suggested, but then roll-reverse and have a guy from Infinity Ward or Treyarch do a quick interview and say "Oh that Black Ops 2 stuff was a misunderstanding between Amazon and Activision, it was supposed to be for the PS Vita version of the game that's coming out soon."

Bam!

Problem solved.

Instead, they shot themselves in the foot by saying they don't blacklist people and then shot themselves in the knee with an arrow saying that they were "working towards a resolution". Who in their right mind denies an act and then says they're going to resolve the act that they supposedly didn't commit?

I agree, with you also that they have incompetent and idiotic marketing people working for them. They should have did what you said and just stopped talking.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2012, 15:19.

8. Re: Activision Denies Blacklisting Feb 21, 2012, 13:42 Dev

Yeah no one in the entire would could possibly guess this super extra secret that there's an MW release, then a diff cod release, then another MW release. So ZOMG how dare anyone report on something like that.

ZOMG, will I get in trouble if I guess that the after BW2, there will be an MW4?

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2012, 14:12.

7. Re: Activision Denies Blacklisting Feb 21, 2012, 13:28 Tumbler

It's amazing this company can't just shut up. I would assume you'd hire halfway competent marketing people but I guess since you can sell a gazillion copies of this game no matter what it's just wasting money to hire people above the absolute minimum.

Here a suggestion. Stop Talking. Even if this guy is a total liar and you never even asked him to take the blog/article down you still come out looking worse just by opening your mouth.

If you'd hired competent people I'm guessing this whole issue would have ended up looking like this:

Amazon puts up Black Ops 2 listing. Internet notices. You contact amazon to take it down. You notice that some sights are reporting this. Release press release saying the next CoD is going to be black Ops 2, more info to follow, stay tuned to Blackops2.com for more info.

Oh and hey, you may want to have a game plan for putting up your first trailer on your website at a moments notice should that get leaked before your next big event. That is what I would plan on...but I'm sure you're already got that setup...right?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: Activision Denies Blacklisting Feb 21, 2012, 12:19 Creston

We don't blacklist journalists. The word we use is "shitlist."

Creston

5. Re: Activision Denies Blacklisting Feb 21, 2012, 12:10 Ruffiana

I'm sure this will have a measurable impact on their Walmart sales.  

4. Re: Activision Denies Blacklisting Feb 21, 2012, 12:04 Dev

Suuuuuure. And they surely will send one of their limited review copies to a website that they don't like too.  

3. Re: Activision Denies Blacklisting Feb 21, 2012, 11:43 Cutter

You'd think these skidmark publishers would learn by now. Pull a stunt like that and obviously it's going to come out and force you to backpeddle with lame excuses like it was all a misunderstanding. I'd respect them more if they stuck to their guns and said, 'Well we think site XYZ are a bunch of fucking douchebags and you're goddamned right we uninvited their asses! And anyone who want to pull this sort of shit will find themselves in the same boat.'

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Activision Denies Blacklisting Feb 21, 2012, 11:33 Bhruic

What they meant was:
Activision doesn’t get caught blacklist journalists. If people hear about it, we immediately backpedal, and claim it was a "misunderstanding" because we don't want the negative publicity. We only blacklist journalists behind the scenes.

1. Re: Activision Denies Blacklisting Feb 21, 2012, 10:45 nin

"See? It's all just a "misunderstanding"! When we said "get the fuck out" we meant like "Really? We're working on a new COD game????"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo