Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Reign of Thunder Announced

The Day 1 Studios Website announces Reign of Thunder is the game they recently teased, though rather than a new MechAssault game, word is this "is an all new Mech IP being developed by the people who brought you the award winning MechAssault series" (thanks Gamer's Hell). A Reign of Thunder Announce Trailer is online with glimpses of mechs and gameplay, and pointing the way to the game's website, which only offers the trailer, so be careful not to get caught in a loop there. Here's word:

Mech fans have been asking us for years to return to the genre and we’ve been listening. Reign of Thunder is an all new Mech IP being developed by the people who brought you the award winning MechAssault series. We’ve been hard at work creating a hard hitting, fast paced, explosive action game with all the customization options you could ever want. Check out the trailer, it is actual gameplay from our upcoming beta build! Signup below for more information as it becomes available.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 22, 2012, 09:02 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 05:16:
Not all conflicts can be won with just cruise missiles, and if the legs were sufficiently armored, a tank with two (or more) legs would have a distinct advantage navigating over very uneven terrain over conventional tanks.

I'm not even sure you're being serious with that second paragraph. The phsyics of Japanese Mecha is completely insane, in reality the pilot would either black out or be turned into jelly with some of the maneuvers they pull flying and dancing around.

In realistic terms, both western and Japanese mecha are equally unlikely. A giant, heavy, bipedal robot would be the worst weapon design ever. Big target, high center of gravity, easily crippled, high maintenance... it just wouldn't be practical at all. Hell, a single tank shell to the mech's upper torso would knock it over and it wouldn't be able to get back up. Now, if they could somehow create a Japanese-style mech with the same level of mobility and dexterity, that would be another matter. But like you said, it's physically impossible.

Jets and drones are simply better weapons in all regards. They are much faster, more mobile, harder to hit and can deliver devastating payloads with pinpoint precision.

War is only about one thing: terrorising a country until the government gives in. You can do that wonderfully with power armoured personnel, as demonstrated in Robert A. Heinlein's science fiction book "Starship Troopers". Now think of a mech like a gigantic piece of power armour. It is much better at bringing terror into the hearts of people than a jet could, while being precise enough to do damage to particular points of an area without destroying it completely.
Mechs are also better armoured than jets and drones and can withstand much more damage.
So unlike, for example, mechs are not entirely, completely useless.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 22, 2012, 05:16 Jerykk

Not all conflicts can be won with just cruise missiles, and if the legs were sufficiently armored, a tank with two (or more) legs would have a distinct advantage navigating over very uneven terrain over conventional tanks.

I'm not even sure you're being serious with that second paragraph. The phsyics of Japanese Mecha is completely insane, in reality the pilot would either black out or be turned into jelly with some of the maneuvers they pull flying and dancing around.

In realistic terms, both western and Japanese mecha are equally unlikely. A giant, heavy, bipedal robot would be the worst weapon design ever. Big target, high center of gravity, easily crippled, high maintenance... it just wouldn't be practical at all. Hell, a single tank shell to the mech's upper torso would knock it over and it wouldn't be able to get back up. Now, if they could somehow create a Japanese-style mech with the same level of mobility and dexterity, that would be another matter. But like you said, it's physically impossible.

Jets and drones are simply better weapons in all regards. They are much faster, more mobile, harder to hit and can deliver devastating payloads with pinpoint precision.

25. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 21, 2012, 08:36 Razumen

Jerykk wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 01:05:
Funny, I've always seen it the other way. Japanese mech designs are usually more visually appealing, but western one's (when they're not imitating the East) have a more utilitarian, pragmatic look that I imagine is more likely to appear in reality if such technology ever came into use.

You can't really say that a giant robot with legs is pragmatic. The legs are the weakest part of the machine and their destruction completely cripples it. That's why we're never going to use mechs as weapons. Building a long-range cruise missile is cheaper and more practical.

Japanese mecha would actually be more useful than western mecha, as they typically have incredible mobility and dexterity. Most of them can fly too and turn into some divine super weapon that summons the apocalypse and redefines existence as we know it.

24. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 21, 2012, 04:51 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 01:05:
Funny, I've always seen it the other way. Japanese mech designs are usually more visually appealing, but western one's (when they're not imitating the East) have a more utilitarian, pragmatic look that I imagine is more likely to appear in reality if such technology ever came into use.

You can't really say that a giant robot with legs is pragmatic. The legs are the weakest part of the machine and their destruction completely cripples it. That's why we're never going to use mechs as weapons. Building a long-range cruise missile is cheaper and more practical.

Japanese mecha would actually be more useful than western mecha, as they typically have incredible mobility and dexterity. Most of them can fly too and turn into some divine super weapon that summons the apocalypse and redefines existence as we know it.

Japanese mecha are ridiculous when it comes to Physics. That dexterity and mobility would be impossible to achieve.

Wildone wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 17:18:
They just look fugly, western robot designs by children. The Japanese always ALWAYS created more realistic and sexier designs, its jut that way. Western mechs are so goofy, chunky card board box designs with big nerf guns on their arms. And the colors..ugh...

Really? I always thought the opposite. Cannot stand the visual design of mechas.
Mechs, on the other hand, are pragmatic.
And let's not talk about realism, this is really, really silly.

23. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 21, 2012, 01:05 Jerykk

22. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 21, 2012, 00:29 Dev

Razumen wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 23:32:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 23:11:
And no more arbitrary weight or range limits please. Just let the accuracy determine the range, and the weight determine the speed.
Yes, and if a player puts on too many more tons than the Mech is rated for, its legs should immediately buckle and break under its own weight at the start of the mission. Ha
Actually that would be cool. Have a recommended weight and if you double that you can't move, and more than that you buckle

As for accuracy and range, they could play with that. For instance, bullets after a certain range wouldn't be very accurate, so beyond that they'd only hit a few percent of the time. For energy weapons, the atmosphere could scatter it beyond a certain range so it would do very little damage beyond its effective range.

21. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 23:32 Razumen

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 23:11:
Bumpy wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 22:14:
Good lord, wtf is this? Holy ridiculously, crazy speed action-fest.

Where's the kickstarter page for a developer who wants to make a true Mechwarrior 2 sim sequel? Only they will get my $50.

Hear, hear. This is exactly what I want: something I can customize every aspect of and try out on the battlefield. And no more arbitrary weight or range limits please. Just let the accuracy determine the range, and the weight determine the speed.

Yes, and if a player puts on too many more tons than the Mech is rated for, its legs should immediately buckle and break under its own weight at the start of the mission. Ha

20. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 23:11 jdreyer

Bumpy wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 22:14:

Where's the kickstarter page for a developer who wants to make a true Mechwarrior 2 sim sequel? Only they will get my $50.

Hear, hear. This is exactly what I want: something I can customize every aspect of and try out on the battlefield. And no more arbitrary weight or range limits please. Just let the accuracy determine the range, and the weight determine the speed.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

19. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 22:14 Bumpy

18. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 21:53 The Half Elf

Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 10:43:
Visuals are nice but combat is way too spastic and over the top. Who's directing this? Michael Bay?

And by the way, what are the rules of Thunderdome?

Cutter quit reading my mind! Even Mech Assault wasn't that spazzy.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 21:41 z0dd

Visuals are nice but combat is way too spastic and over the top. Who's directing this? Michael Bay?

I was thinking the exact same thing, wondering the video was on 3x fast forward. How many mechs am I controlling in this game? I doubt I could control even one at that speed!

16. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 21:16 Orogogus

Huh, so it does. Apparently the video didn't load all the way on my work computer. From the first 5 seconds it looked like they were just going to remake MechAssault.

Well, if they're free to play, I doubt Microsoft and Sony will let them on the consoles; it wouldn't play well with the nickel and dime game they have going on in their online marketplaces.

15. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 19:59 Wildone

Well I guess I shoulda been more specific, Im not talking 'gundam' stuff bcus that is pretty ghey, but the more realistic looking MGS, Masasume Shirow type works. Im sure theres others, where they have thought about upcoming technology and applied it intelligently. I can't imagine any of these mechs being real! If 'real' mechs ever get made theres no reason why they should even have 2 legs and 2 arms, once they get much bigger than human size. But I know this is fantasy..still, I can't buy into my fantasy's unless they have a smidge of thought behind them. IDK I hope it doesn't suck, Im all for mech SIMULATION..  

14. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 19:04 jacobvandy

Orogogus wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 12:39:
Hump wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 11:02:
Poor Day 1, a talented bunch but their timing always stinks. Forget about the official BT stuff in the pipelines but they will be competing directly with Hawken for the arcade gameplay Mech fans. One look at the Hawken videos and its clear that Day 1 is up against some fierce competition.

Well, Hawken is PC-only, doesn't have a single player campaign, and is going to be free to play, so there's a fair amount of room out of the gate to find a niche.

Of course, I'd think that free to play would be a point in Hawken's favor, but I'm given to understand that a lot of people aren't fans of that model (Tribes Ascend pay to win ho ho ho, never gets old).

Hawken will most definitely be coming to consoles (they haven't announced a publishing deal or anything, but they've been clear about their intentions of going that way), and this Reign of Thunder is also free-to-play, as per the video stating so.

13. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 18:02 Marvin T. Martian

Looks like total crap to me.  

12. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 17:42 Razumen

Wildone wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 17:18:
They just look fugly, western robot designs by children. The Japanese always ALWAYS created more realistic and sexier designs, its jut that way. Western mechs are so goofy, chunky card board box designs with big nerf guns on their arms. And the colors..ugh...

Of course this is all generalization, but the "sexier" Japanese designs I've seen are usually covered with a plethora of small and useless protrusions that (while pretty) would not only likely be destroyed in the first few moments of actual battle, but also limit its mobility.

11. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 17:18 Wildone

10. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 15:40 eunichron

TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVES

I'm glad to see mech games coming back, between this and Hawken. I'm only hoping it leads to another proper Heavy Gear sequel.

9. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 15:30 Razumen

Yuck, looks like the Tonka Toys version of real Mech games. Count me out.  

8. Re: Reign of Thunder Announced Feb 20, 2012, 14:15 Nate

Super-fast combat is not what I like with my mechs.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2012, 17:49.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo