Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Alan Wake Breaks Even

A post on the Alan Wake Community Forums from Remedy announces that their decision to belatedly bring Alan Wake to the PC has resulted in the game hitting #1 on Steam and making back their investment in porting the psychological thriller to Windows (thanks Eurogamer).

I wanted to chime in here. We are very happy with the sales and hitting #1 on Steam at launch was nothing short of amazing. We recouped our development and marketing expenses during the first 48 hours. And yes, we're certainly very excited about PC.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 22, 2012, 10:55 gravity

I wanted to chime in here. There's a lot of opinions I see here and there about ".. who would be interested in a game where I shine a flashlight at monsters.. " etc.

If you've got even a remote interest in survival horror type games, and/or the Max Payne franchise (as I do), you'd probably get quite a bit of solid entertainment out of this game.

It had pretty solid writing (ala Max Payne), and the mechanics were well done, along with some pretty intense moments as the 'shadows' get much faster later on in the game. Add to that some great scoring and soundtrack (Poe, Poets of the Fall, etc) and I really felt I got my $40 worth at GameStop when I bought my XBox 360 with this title.

Seriously. Consider giving it a shot. Take a look at the MetaCritic scores, even. You might be surprised to see that not only the critics, but the community also thought pretty highly of this title overall.

I think, to pay $30 for a quality title these days is not a half bad proposition. Add to that the convenience of Steam and likely upgraded graphics and content (aren't all the DLC included?).. what's so bad about this? Everyone cried about failing the PC community at launch - now everyone's crying about them "failing the PC community at launch" still. They made a mistake, they made up for it, admitting that they probably should have done this from the get-go.

Just my $0.02. I haven't posted on Blue's pages in years, but this one game made that much of an impression upon me.

If the game doesn't interest you at all - fine... why waste time on the article at all?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 21, 2012, 09:14 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 23:03:
Rockstar already has extremely bad mojo for its whole Social Club and GFWL crap stunt they pulled on GTA IV, the last game i ever bought from that dreghouse of a developer.
I agree, that was bleh, and they forced you to install it and run it too. I got fed up that I had to install a bunch of extra crap when I just wanted to play the game!

Fortunately, later on, they patched the requirement out to install/run social club. Its now totally optional. Still requires GfWL though.

46. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 21, 2012, 08:56 Verno

I hope this means they start taking the PC market seriously again. Imagine if they had released back in 2010 with a full marketing campaign on Steam.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

45. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 21, 2012, 06:41 Prez

I bet if they had to do over again (and it wasn't out of their hands) Remedy would have released a PC version alongside the console version.

At any rate, a nice little comeback for them.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 21, 2012, 03:59 Cyant

Well thats explains a lot then... Haven't been following the game since the PC version "cancellation" so I didn't know that.  

43. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 21, 2012, 03:53 Jerykk

I dont get why people keep saying "PC port" when the game was originaly developed for PC to demonstrate the power of Quad Core Intel processors.

The game that was released on Xbox was not the same game that was shown in those Intel demos. The game that just got released on PC is a port of the Xbox version. That's why people keep calling it a port.

42. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 21, 2012, 03:13 Cyant

I dont get why people keep saying "PC port" when the game was originaly developed for PC to demonstrate the power of Quad Core Intel processors.

Then later it got switched to console exclusive because MS gave Remedy a buttload of money in exchange of having Remedy say (lie to us) the PC platform is not lucrative enough to warrant a version.

When Remedy did that they lost my respect, thats when I didn't care about any of their games.

41. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 21, 2012, 02:34 Jerykk

Alan Wake was an unproven franchise, it's not surprising that the people funding it wanted to wait to see if the console release was a success before investing even more on a PC port.

A massive same-day multi-platform release is a good idea when you've got a sure thing. This was anything but.

Sigh. I really don't understand why people keep trying to justify Microsoft's decision to make it an Xbox exclusive. If you look at MS's history, you'll notice a very distinct trend of anti-competitive tactics. Remember Halo? It was originally going to be a PC/Mac game, then MS bought Bungie and turned it into an Xbox-exclusive. Gears of War? Very likely was going to be a PC game until MS turned it into an Xbox exclusive. Fable? Same deal. Remember how the GTA4 DLC was exclusive to the X360 for a while? MS paid $50 million for that timed exclusivity. I repeat, $50 million. That's larger than the development budget for most AAA games. MS's decision to make Alan Wake an Xbox exclusive had nothing to do with risk or lack of money. MS turned Alan Wake into an Xbox exclusive because they want every game to be an Xbox exclusive.

The only reason we are seeing Alan Wake on PC at all is because Remedy owns the IP and funded the port themselves. MS had nothing to do with it. If MS owned the IP, there would be no PC version. If MS had to put any money into the port, there would be no PC version. The only reason they're even allowing Remedy to make the port is because the game flopped on Xbox.

That's a false dichotomy. It's not really that black and white. You can just as easily say that by purchasing it now, you're showing to them that PC gamers are more than happy to purchase your left-over, two-year-old scrap.

This is true. However, at the very least, this establishes that a PC port would have been profitable (probably more so) had it been released simultaneously with the Xbox version.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2012, 02:41.

40. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 23:03 eRe4s3r

On the other hand, RDR is not on PC which means R* = LAME

Rockstar already has extremely bad mojo for its whole Social Club and GFWL crap stunt they pulled on GTA IV, the last game i ever bought from that dreghouse of a developer. Even if RDR was the best thing since Ghandi, its not on the PC, and with that Rockstar is irrelevant to PC Gaming.

They can stay on the console. Nobody needs another shitty port like GTA IV

39. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 21:30 nin

A massive same-day multi-platform release is a good idea when you've got a sure thing. This was anything but.

And they also released the same day as R*'s RDR, which didn't do them any favors.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

38. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 20:53 entr0py

Alan Wake was an unproven franchise, it's not surprising that the people funding it wanted to wait to see if the console release was a success before investing even more on a PC port.

And honestly, I'm surprised the game did as well as it has. It's a sort of teen-rated mildly interactive horror movie written by somehow who really likes Stephen King.

37. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 19:49 Illumin

Kajetan wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 11:29:
Spektr wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 11:17:
Wow. Maybe some people are going to make Pc games again?
At the end of the current consle generation more companies will make more PC versions until the new console generation requires the usual marketing shitstorm, when suddenly it is no longer POSSIBLE to earn one single fucking cent with PC games and therefore you HAVE TO buy this shiny new console where all the cool games are.

Sometimes, i am so tired of this bullshit that i'm looking for a new hobby which doesn't involve multibillion dollar companies and their marketing lies.

Your just about better off dating a stripper or 3.

36. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 17:41 Bhruic

Better to mail them three twenty dollar bills, then as soon as they try to reach for them, the bills go up in flames along with a message that says "You didn't want this money, otherwise you'd have put the game on PC!"

THAT would get their attention! I need to call Mythbusters...

LOL

If you can figure out how to pull it off, I'm in!

35. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 17:25 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 15:37:
The only thing they understand is money.

So mail them a picture of $60, and say "This is the money you would have got if you'd released the game simultaneously on PC"?

Better to mail them three twenty dollar bills, then as soon as they try to reach for them, the bills go up in flames along with a message that says "You didn't want this money, otherwise you'd have put the game on PC!"

THAT would get their attention! I need to call Mythbusters...

Creston

34. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 16:14 selection7

No shocker here. People buy the games, the suits will be excited about the PC platform. People don't, they won't. That's not going to change, I guarantee it.

It's good that PC consumers stood up for their platform as viable on launch day, and also good that the publisher honestly revealed they made their money back first weekend, which means basically admitting they should have considered the PC more favorably from the beginning. That's going in the right direction for both parties.

33. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 15:37 Bhruic

So mail them a picture of $60, and say "This is the money you would have got if you'd released the game simultaneously on PC"?

32. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 15:18 Creston

Dev wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 14:30:
Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 13:38:
How would you recommend that people say to Remedy "hey, I don't really care about your two-year-old scrap?"

Genuinely curious btw. What else would you suggest people do?

And before someone asks, I didn't buy it because I wanted to "teach" Remedy a lesson; I just genuinely don't give a damn about Alan Wake. Linear shooter where you shine a flashlight at shadowy monsters? Oooh, exciting. Rolleyes

Creston
I'd recommend a snail mailed physical letter, those have more impact than most other forms of communication and often get read at the higher levels.

Talking to publishers serves no purpose. These are literally people that can see thousands of forum posts full of disbelief/outrage/anger over their retarded DRM scheme and say "People love our new DRM scheme."

Creston

31. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 14:30 Dev

Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 13:38:
How would you recommend that people say to Remedy "hey, I don't really care about your two-year-old scrap?"

Genuinely curious btw. What else would you suggest people do?

And before someone asks, I didn't buy it because I wanted to "teach" Remedy a lesson; I just genuinely don't give a damn about Alan Wake. Linear shooter where you shine a flashlight at shadowy monsters? Oooh, exciting. Rolleyes

Creston
I'd recommend a snail mailed physical letter, those have more impact than most other forms of communication and often get read at the higher levels.

30. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 14:13 qsto

I think more than anything, this only tells the tale of how small the overhead of producing a PC port in this multiplatform age is.
All the assets are already there, and recompiling the PowerPC instruction set to run on x86 isn't much of a task. All that remains is little bit if tweaking here and there.

Alan Wake as a whole was under development for five years, and yet this PC port was pushed out in five months. Naturally the fact, that PC was the lead platform in the beginning probably helped out here, but the game has changed so dramatically of its origins, that it's almost like an entirely different game from what was demoed at IDF back in 2006

29. Re: PC Alan Wake Breaks Even Feb 20, 2012, 13:58 Creston

deadearth wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 13:45:
Well that's kinda what I was getting at, I honestly don't know. I'm just not convinced that refusing to buy it would 'show them', just reinforce that the PC isn't worth spending time on.

It's a tough call, I agree. But I can easily see people saying "hey, fuck you, Remedy, with your old shit!" and it's hard to tell them they shouldn't do it.

To be honest, I think Remedy made the decision that the PC wasn't worth spending time on a long time ago, and nothing short of it selling 35 million copies will make them change their minds.

Creston

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo