Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

President's Day Mobilization

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: President's Day Mobilization Feb 21, 2012, 13:22 Jivaro

You know, despite my negative response to this "pledge" (see below), I have to admit...when it gets to what I consider a reasonable price point I will most likely get one. I am a gadget geek, it is a sad and tragic weakness.

Anyone else remember the Atari Lynx? Yeah, I own two of those, and basically every game that was released for it.

image here: http://www.cvgm.net/static/media/platform/image/atari_lynx.jpg

Notice that it is ridiculously huge. Roughly 3 times the size and weight of a PSP I would guess. never actually looked it up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: President's Day Mobilization Feb 21, 2012, 09:51 Verno

Yeah I had to laugh a bit at the headline. This is the company that actively removes functionality from existing products.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

8. Re: Sony pledges a decade of support for Vita. Feb 21, 2012, 09:26 Optional nickname

Hanneth wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 12:42:
Sony pledges? Since when has Sony kept their word? It is about as good as a grain of salt. Thank you, I needed a laugh this morning.

It is a good laugh, all they need to do, is change their TOS (Terms of Service) for the 12th time this year. I am wondering why they even need a 2 page worded TOS, why can't they just replace it with a phrase "use at your own risk"

7. Re: President's Day Mobilization Feb 21, 2012, 00:18 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 13:44:
My wonder was why they didn't decide to do a bifurcated memory approach... basically have the Vita cards for PSV titles, and allow a microSD card for movies, music, and PSP/PS1 digital titles. Would've taken some of the sting out of the memory card prices, and, like you said, would've offered a bit more flexibility.
Probably because sony LOVES proprietary formats, especially memory types and cards and sticks. They have a long history of such.

6. Re: President's Day Mobilization Feb 20, 2012, 16:29 SirKnight

Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 10:51:
You'd have to be a fool to buy one of those things.

More like a fool, no a complete idiot, to say something like that. Not that I'm surprised at all...

5. Re: President's Day Mobilization Feb 20, 2012, 14:29 Jivaro

Sony's standard operating procedure has always been one of limited flexibility. I just don't see how in this current mobile gaming market that will work for them. Aside from that, if they don't see a profitable projection analysis within a short amount of time, this will be an abandoned piece of hardware, regardless of the garbage they state now for the benfit of developers and consumers alike. Japan saved the PSP for them, but I don't see the Japanese consumers jumping on the Vita market in that same way.

It is too bad really. In a lot of ways the Vita is a very cool device. Its shortcomings, as some have already listed here, are glaring and too numerous however....particularly at its current price point(s).

4. Re: President's Day Mobilization Feb 20, 2012, 13:44 killer_roach

Tumbler wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 12:43:
A decade of support for Vita...right...

A few things they can do to make the vita better. Put out memory cards for that game slot so someone can use 2 memory cards at the same time. Assuming someone wants to go 100% digital this would give them the most options possible.

Find a way for all those movie codes you get now, those digital copies, to be loaded on this device so you can watch them anywhere for the duration of that time.

If all the PSN titles worked on this thing that would probably be a huge selling point.

My wonder was why they didn't decide to do a bifurcated memory approach... basically have the Vita cards for PSV titles, and allow a microSD card for movies, music, and PSP/PS1 digital titles. Would've taken some of the sting out of the memory card prices, and, like you said, would've offered a bit more flexibility.

3. Re: President's Day Mobilization Feb 20, 2012, 12:43 Tumbler

A decade of support for Vita...right...

A few things they can do to make the vita better. Put out memory cards for that game slot so someone can use 2 memory cards at the same time. Assuming someone wants to go 100% digital this would give them the most options possible.

Find a way for all those movie codes you get now, those digital copies, to be loaded on this device so you can watch them anywhere for the duration of that time.

If all the PSN titles worked on this thing that would probably be a huge selling point.

You might be able to survive without an App store where the public can easily make software to sell with you taking a commission....but...I don't see this as an option anymore. Nintendo has a better shot since it's software is much stronger but you still can't ignore the value you get on the ipad and others from those app stores having MILLIONS of choices and the variety that comes with so much competition.

Trying to say the few dozen games you have for $30-$40 offers similar value is a fantasy. The pricing makes this seem like you get a premium experience on the psv but I don't see it. It looks like an old media company trying to scam consumers out of their money.

I would expect piracy to go nuts on this system in record time if they don't alter what they are doing very soon.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. Re: Sony pledges a decade of support for Vita. Feb 20, 2012, 12:42 Hanneth

Sony pledges? Since when has Sony kept their word? It is about as good as a grain of salt. Thank you, I needed a laugh this morning.  

1. Re: President's Day Mobilization Feb 20, 2012, 10:51 Cutter

Gods I hate these trolling headlines those websites come up with. Five to ten years is not a decade of support particularly as they state that'll all depend on what happens in the next 2-3 years. I'd be surprised if it even lasts that long. You'd have to be a fool to buy one of those things.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo