Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's President's Day here in the U.S., honoring the mixed bag of leaders this country has chosen over the years. This year I have decided to exploit a loophole in this holiday, and honor myself in my role of El Presidente for Life of this website. So there... Happy El Presidente's Day. Let me know if you need an address to send presents.

Presidential Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: The Dark Room.
Protect the Cow.
Links: Hair Tattoos. Sold! Thanks Neatorama.
6 Movies Inadvertently Remade as Other Movies.
Science: The Forgetting Pill Erases Painful Memories Forever. Thanks nin via Digg.
Media: Presidents' Day 2012: Washington vs. Lincoln.
Sonic is Terrible at Freeing Animals.
Inception Park.
Sisyphus Gets a Snowthrower.
The Funnies: Funny Tweets Twaggies.
ActionTrip Comic Strip: The FPS Training Program.
Follow-up: ESPN Fires Writer Over Racial Slur in Jeremy Lin Headline.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2012, 20:18 Prez

You must associate with some weirdos if you're hearing chink and chinaman regularly.

Guilty. Irreverent weirdos to boot, but with good souls. I'm a firm believer in paying less attention to the words being uttered and more to the emotion behind the word. It's been my experience that relatively few people who use what others would call "slurs" do so with hate in their hearts. it makes a HUGE difference to me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2012, 19:21 Sepharo

You must associate with some weirdos if you're hearing chink and chinaman regularly.

Even having lived in the two most Asian cities in Michigan (Troy and Canton look it up) I don't hear those used even by the anti-PC folks. Not because they're super vile or something but just because they're outdated I'd assume. Maybe it's just some mid-western niceness? Dunno.

I guess if I ever heard it I would have a chuckle but at the expense of the person saying it. Kind of like hearing an older relative say, "colored person"

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2012, 09:52 nin

Prez wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 09:34:
I just checked - it's on Amazon Prime Instant Video! I don't even have to leave the house or risk being raided by the feds to watch it.

Honestly, the first time I saw it, I didn't like it. But it grows on you, and I love it now. John Goodman in particular really steals the show.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2012, 09:34 Prez

I just checked - it's on Amazon Prime Instant Video! I don't even have to leave the house or risk being raided by the feds to watch it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2012, 09:01 nin

I've never seen the movie.

Well now you know what you need to do this weekend.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2012, 04:58 Prez

And no, people don't say chinaman. Or at least they don't in a "well, it's acceptable" way.

Well, "acceptable" is dependent on a bunch of things. Referring to Asians as Chinks or Chinamen in a news headline is unacceptable because it is unprofessional and crass, something that ESPN is not going to tolerate while it is passing itself off as a legitimate news organization.

On the other hand, I hear those names as commonly as I hear myself called a "Yank" by my friends across the pond. I'm also a "dago-wop guinea" according to most of the people I hang out with around where I'm originally from (though I honestly don't know the origin of "dago" or "guinea") but I wouldn't expect to see those terms used in a headline. In the casual circles that I hang around in, in everyday conversation people don't get too hung up on what's "acceptable" under the political correctness religion.

By the way, I need help understanding the Big Lebowski reference because, believe it or not, I've never seen the movie.

- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2012, 00:32 Sepharo

Prez wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 17:49:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 17:44:
Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature, Asian American...Please....

I didn't say it was. But You do hear it. Don't tell me you don't.

Did you just get Big Lebowski'd twice? Hahaha.

And no, people don't say chinaman. Or at least they don't in a "well, it's acceptable" way.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 17:49 Prez

Were you unfamiliar with 'chink' being a slur?

I was aware it isn't the most respectful term for Asians, sure. But it does seem to be in common usage.

Prez wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 17:44:
Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature, Asian American...Please....

I didn't say it was. But You do hear it. Don't tell me you don't.

- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 17:44 Prez

Woopsie...

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2012, 17:50.

- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 13:33 PHJF

THE CHINAMAN IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE, DUDE.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 09:35 nin

and concerning Chinese you can say "Chinaman"

Well, I wouldn't...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 09:20 mag

Prez wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 06:44:
ESPN Fires Writer Over Racial Slur in Jeremy Lin Headline.

For those wondering, the headline was "A Chink in the Armor". Really. Personally, I've always wondered who actually decides whether a term is a slur or acceptable colloquialism. From what I've seen, "Yank" and "Limey" are acceptable for American and British (as far as I know anyway), and concerning Chinese you can say "Chinaman" but not "Chink". I can't keep up.

So far World of Goo isn't very good. It plays like a web-app game or something you'd have on your phone, that type of thing. I'm still in the beginning so I'll update.

I never really got into World of Goo myself. It was a nifty mechanic, but not enough to really base a game around, charming as though it may have been.

Wait, seriously? Were you unfamiliar with 'chink' being a slur?

I played through World of Goo. I thought it was a fun puzzle game. I'm... not sure what people were expecting if they were disappointed with it.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 09:00 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 06:44:

For those wondering, the headline was "A Chink in the Armor". Really. Personally, I've always wondered who actually decides whether a term is a slur or acceptable colloquialism. From what I've seen, "Yank" and "Limey" are acceptable for American and British (as far as I know anyway), and concerning Chinese

you can say "Chinaman" but not "Chink". I can't keep up.

Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature, Asaian American...Please....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 06:44 Prez

For those wondering, the headline was "A Chink in the Armor". Really. Personally, I've always wondered who actually decides whether a term is a slur or acceptable colloquialism. From what I've seen, "Yank" and "Limey" are acceptable for American and British (as far as I know anyway), and concerning Chinese you can say "Chinaman" but not "Chink". I can't keep up.

So far World of Goo isn't very good. It plays like a web-app game or something you'd have on your phone, that type of thing. I'm still in the beginning so I'll update.

I never really got into World of Goo myself. It was a nifty mechanic, but not enough to really base a game around, charming as though it may have been.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2012, 06:50.

- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 02:38 Ant

nin wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 21:31:
DNForever wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 21:14:
Dudes,

I played it for a little bit - it was ok, but nothing mindblowing.

I enjoyed it.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. The Forgetting Pill Erases Painful Memories Forever Feb 21, 2012, 02:03 jdreyer

Wow. It's pretty cool how that works.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2012, 23:31 nin

Grab Binding of Issac. Great game. Non stop zelda dungeons. Very random game, different each time I play it.

And no gamepad support.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2012, 22:39 xXBatmanXx

Dudes,

Grab Binding of Issac. Great game. Non stop zelda dungeons. Very random game, different each time I play it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2012, 22:06 DNForever

Yes it's no Terraria, but then that's an unfair comparison.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2012, 21:31 nin

Dudes,

I played it for a little bit - it was ok, but nothing mindblowing.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo