Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Karateka Remake This Year

Jordan Mencher's Blog announces a remake of Karateka, the first video game from the creator of the Prince of Persia series (thanks Ant). Jordan provides some history on the original project and insight into the decision to revisit the game, saying the remake has been in development by a small team for about a year now. A Karateka Website is live with some further details. The game is expected this year for download on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but he adds: "We're looking at bringing it to other platforms too." Here's a bit on the plan:

How different is the new Karateka from the original? Itís closer than the 2003 POP:SOT was to the original, side-scrolling Prince of Persia. But itís a more radical reinvention than, say, the 2007 XBLA Prince of Persia Classic. The new Karateka is much more than a port; itís both a remake and a re-imagining of the original game for todayís consoles.

For me as creative director, itís been an exciting chance to experiment with new gameplay mechanics and ideas that on previous console generations (and on the Apple II) I could only have dreamed about.

Why downloadable and why indie? For a lot of reasons, downloadable just feels right for Karateka. The original was a simple, compact, pick-up-and-play game that didnít require a lot of tutorial to understand what you had to do. Beating the game was hard, but even little kids could have fun playing it from the first moments. I wanted to honor that simplicity. Jumping from the Atari 400 to a huge triple-A retail console title felt like it would have been too big a leap.

View
24. Re: Question: Feb 19, 2012, 16:27 Kastagir

Slashman wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 20:20:
Ant wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 19:19:
Slashman wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 18:32:
*sigh*

I had forgotten the original box art. It actually still pisses me off!

This is in feudal Japan and the warlord is Japanese...but the princess and the hero are both blondes. Wall2
Jordan said it in Wired's interview:

ďHonestly, I would do it with an Asian cast ... The reason the characters had white hair in the Apple II original is because it was the only color that would stand out against the black background. It didnít really make sense to have blondes in 16th-century Japan...Ē

It was a design problem so I guess the cover artist did based on that computers' limitations.

That's a convenient answer, but the problem is that the facial features of the hero and princess aren't oriental either. If they had even slightly Japanese looking features with the blonde hair I could forgive it...plenty of Japanese men and women dye their hair...you still won't mistake them for caucasians when you see them. The warlord on the box art had oriental features

The term 'oriental' in describing facial features of a presumably Japanese person might have been acceptable (barely) in the mid-1980s, but today it would be deemed quite inappropriate. The term 'Asian' will suffice if you must generalize.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 18, 14:14 Re: Karateka Remake This Year cronik
  2. Feb 18, 14:34  Re: Karateka Remake This Year Shok
  3. Feb 18, 14:40   Re: Karateka Remake This Year Slashman
  8. Feb 18, 16:14    Re: Karateka Remake This Year wrigleyvillain
  4. Feb 18, 15:13 Re: Karateka Remake This Year Ant
  5. Feb 18, 16:01 Re: Karateka Remake This Year born2expire
  6. Feb 18, 16:06 Re: Karateka Remake This Year zirik
  23. Feb 19, 13:47  Re: Karateka Remake This Year wonkawonka
  7. Feb 18, 16:13 Re: Karateka Remake This Year Kastagir
  9. Feb 18, 16:21 Re: Karateka Remake This Year zirik