Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Karateka Remake This Year

Jordan Mencher's Blog announces a remake of Karateka, the first video game from the creator of the Prince of Persia series (thanks Ant). Jordan provides some history on the original project and insight into the decision to revisit the game, saying the remake has been in development by a small team for about a year now. A Karateka Website is live with some further details. The game is expected this year for download on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but he adds: "We're looking at bringing it to other platforms too." Here's a bit on the plan:

How different is the new Karateka from the original? It’s closer than the 2003 POP:SOT was to the original, side-scrolling Prince of Persia. But it’s a more radical reinvention than, say, the 2007 XBLA Prince of Persia Classic. The new Karateka is much more than a port; it’s both a remake and a re-imagining of the original game for today’s consoles.

For me as creative director, it’s been an exciting chance to experiment with new gameplay mechanics and ideas that on previous console generations (and on the Apple II) I could only have dreamed about.

Why downloadable and why indie? For a lot of reasons, downloadable just feels right for Karateka. The original was a simple, compact, pick-up-and-play game that didn’t require a lot of tutorial to understand what you had to do. Beating the game was hard, but even little kids could have fun playing it from the first moments. I wanted to honor that simplicity. Jumping from the Atari 400 to a huge triple-A retail console title felt like it would have been too big a leap.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 19, 2012, 21:46 4D-Boxing

Next thing you'll know, we'll see GORF and Radar Ratrace 3D.

I remember watching the last starfighter and destroying all my previous high scores on GORF (vic 20 version)...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 19, 2012, 19:42 venomhed

Oh shut the fuck up, its a game!  

24. Re: Question: Feb 19, 2012, 16:27 Kastagir

Slashman wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 20:20:
Ant wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 19:19:
Slashman wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 18:32:
*sigh*

I had forgotten the original box art. It actually still pisses me off!

This is in feudal Japan and the warlord is Japanese...but the princess and the hero are both blondes. Wall2
Jordan said it in Wired's interview:

“Honestly, I would do it with an Asian cast ... The reason the characters had white hair in the Apple II original is because it was the only color that would stand out against the black background. It didn’t really make sense to have blondes in 16th-century Japan...”

It was a design problem so I guess the cover artist did based on that computers' limitations.

That's a convenient answer, but the problem is that the facial features of the hero and princess aren't oriental either. If they had even slightly Japanese looking features with the blonde hair I could forgive it...plenty of Japanese men and women dye their hair...you still won't mistake them for caucasians when you see them. The warlord on the box art had oriental features

The term 'oriental' in describing facial features of a presumably Japanese person might have been acceptable (barely) in the mid-1980s, but today it would be deemed quite inappropriate. The term 'Asian' will suffice if you must generalize.

23. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 19, 2012, 13:47 wonkawonka

zirik wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 16:06:
first played karateka on a monochrome apple computer and later in color on the commodore 64. have lots of fond memories playing that game. hardest part for me was learning how to get past the spiked gate that drops inside the castle. later learned you can trip it first then run into it or walk past at the right moment as it draws up. i hope the remake doesnt turn it into a button mashing affair.

Yeah there were 2 ways of getting through it. One was to run and stop right on it, it would trip because the karateka would step back quickly enough upon stopping. That solution was risky. The less risky one was to get close to it and kick, it would trip on the kick.

Once tripped, you just had to wait for it to go up and pass through as it was finishing to rise.

22. Re: Question: Feb 19, 2012, 06:24 Yaogun

Snapdad wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 23:09:

No, it went the same direction, it just loaded upside-down.

Ah you're right. My memory's getting fuzzy in my old age. I was thinking it was flipped left-right.

I hope they do justice to the original.

21. Re: Question: Feb 18, 2012, 23:09 Snapdad

Yaogun wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 22:30:
Snapdad wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 17:29:
If I flip my xbox over, will the game load upside-down?

You mean backwards? That was the one of the best easter eggs ever.

No, it went the same direction, it just loaded upside-down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVqSHLjiJCA

20. Re: Question: Feb 18, 2012, 22:30 Yaogun

Snapdad wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 17:29:

You mean backwards? That was the one of the best easter eggs ever.

19. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 20:59 UnderLord

Two words into the article and the poor mensch's name is mis-spelt  

18. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 20:48 Mashiki Amiketo

Next thing you'll know, we'll see GORF and Radar Ratrace 3D.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 20:26 Tumbler

Hmm that is an odd choice... I would not choose to fund this one via kickstarter.

Hopefully it's good enough to change my mind when it's finished.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Question: Feb 18, 2012, 20:20 Slashman

*sigh*

This is in feudal Japan and the warlord is Japanese...but the princess and the hero are both blondes. Wall2

“Honestly, I would do it with an Asian cast ... The reason the characters had white hair in the Apple II original is because it was the only color that would stand out against the black background. It didn’t really make sense to have blondes in 16th-century Japan...”

It was a design problem so I guess the cover artist did based on that computers' limitations.

That's a convenient answer, but the problem is that the facial features of the hero and princess aren't oriental either. If they had even slightly Japanese looking features with the blonde hair I could forgive it...plenty of Japanese men and women dye their hair...you still won't mistake them for caucasians when you see them. The warlord on the box art had oriental features

15. Re: Question: Feb 18, 2012, 20:08 zirik

*sigh*

i wonder if he thought the same about the prince of persia movie. they cast jake gyllenhaal to play the persian prince.

14. Re: Question: Feb 18, 2012, 19:19 Ant

*sigh*

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Question: Feb 18, 2012, 18:32 Slashman

*sigh*

12. Question: Feb 18, 2012, 17:29 Snapdad

11. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 17:03 Ant

zirik wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 16:21:
forgot to mention that the box art on karateka looked like a movie poster. i wish i had kept my copy. anyone still have one in pristine condition? care to scan and upload it for all of us old timers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Karateka_Coverart.png has one, but Wired's image is better.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

10. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 16:29 zirik

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/02/karateka-remake/

hurrah for keeping the silent movie style on the remake. boohoo for not keeping the surprises of the original like falling off the cliff or getting killed by the princess if you approach her in a fighting stance.

9. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 16:21 zirik

forgot to mention that the box art on karateka looked like a movie poster. i wish i had kept my copy. anyone still have one in pristine condition? care to scan and upload it for all of us old timers?  

8. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 16:14 wrigleyvillain

Slashman wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 14:40:
Man I remember playing this on the Commodore 64 way back in the day. Had a real blast with it. I'd love to see it remade. Of course there is no mention of a PC version...which pisses me off. Annoyed

Apple II here as well, not even a IIe iirc; green monochrome. And I too still enjoyed every moment immensely as much as any modern fancy pants game these days. It's all relative.

7. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 16:13 Kastagir

I found it amusing that this guy kept mispronouncing "karateka," making it sound more like "caretaker" than anything else. If the goal is to make a game that is evocative of the original, failing to recognize the origins of the title doesn't inspire much confidence.  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo