Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Ops 2 Rumor

French site Gameblog.fr reports having spotted a listing on the French Amazon site for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, a seemingly concrete confirmation of plans for a sequel to the cold war shooter before the listing was removed. They also note that Amazon requested they remove news of this from their site, and when they declined, Activision uninvited them from an event to show off Transformers: The Fall of Cybertron. Thanks GameSpot.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 19, 2012, 16:43 Wookiestick

I'll save 60 dollars for something else, thanks.  

Love thy wookie.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 19, 2012, 07:06 Animals for Crackers

mootant wrote on Feb 19, 2012, 01:31:
apparently activision doesn't know what googlecache is.

Or the Streisand Effect.

18. No subject Feb 19, 2012, 01:31 lollollol

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2013, 11:14.

17. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 19, 2012, 00:29 William Usher

Dades wrote on Feb 19, 2012, 00:05:

You can't get information back when it hits the internet these days, it makes no sense for gameblog to remove it. Activision is well within their rights to revoke an invitation for a press event but it only hurts them more in the end. The rest of your rant reads like you have some issue with gameblog when their perspective in this is really easy to understand. If you think its ok for activision to do this based on a dollar figure then it makes no sense that you won't support gameblog who needs that "attention whoring" for hits and money too. Think about it.

Thank you.

I don't understand why the hate for Gameblog, they make money REPORTING NEWS. If they uncovered a breaking story good for them, it's not like they would have been well-known outside of this event, regardless. As mentioned, Gameblog wasn't going to receive any exclusive content so I cheer them on for sticking to their guns and running the story. I would have done the same thing...better than reporting it as the 200th site on GNews playing follow-the-leader behind CVG, IGN, Gamespot, Game Informer and Eurogamer.

16. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 19, 2012, 00:05 Dades

Hump wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 22:51:
Please spare me the "OMG teh integrity of teh JOURNALIST!"

This isn't an embedded reporter in Afghanistan or a journo investigating lobbyist abuses. Its about fucking GAMES. Publishers and game journos respect embargoes and NDA's on a regular basis. Is that unethical? Acti stepped on their cock, had the piece removed and asked Gameblog to do the same with their story. They didn't ask them to overlook payola for a good review, they asked them to remove it because they probably had a significant dollar amount invested in an official roll-out. Gameblog, instead of just having the courtesy of taking it down, decided it would be a good opportunity to join the ranks of victim culture and rally against the big bad evil corporation....MAAANNNNN! I normally side with the underdog in issues akin to this but this is such a blatant attempt at attention whoring for a minor site that I refuse to have any empathy for these hypersensitive babies.

You can't get information back when it hits the internet these days, it makes no sense for gameblog to remove it. Activision is well within their rights to revoke an invitation for a press event but it only hurts them more in the end. The rest of your rant reads like you have some issue with gameblog when their perspective in this is really easy to understand. If you think its ok for activision to do this based on a dollar figure then it makes no sense that you won't support gameblog who needs that "attention whoring" for hits and money too. Think about it.

15. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 23:56 Draugr

Hump wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 22:51:

This isn't an embedded reporter in Afghanistan or a journo investigating lobbyist abuses. Its about fucking GAMES. Publishers and game journos respect embargoes and NDA's on a regular basis. Is that unethical? Acti stepped on their cock, had the piece removed and asked Gameblog to do the same with their story. They didn't ask them to overlook payola for a good review, they asked them to remove it because they probably had a significant dollar amount invested in an official roll-out. Gameblog, instead of just having the courtesy of taking it down, decided it would be a good opportunity to join the ranks of victim culture and rally against the big bad evil corporation....MAAANNNNN! I normally side with the underdog in issues akin to this but this is such a blatant attempt at attention whoring for a minor site that I refuse to have any empathy for these hypersensitive babies.

They can do as they please, and they have. Activision can flip the hell out all they want, and they have.
It's really an issue with Amazon that put them into this situation. Gameblog taking down their post over it wouldn't have made it go away, so them keeping it up doesn't make 'damage control' any more difficult, Amazon ruined their exclusivity deal (if any, game announcements generally aren't exclusive to anyone, It's just timed, previews, however, are exclusive, as they actually have information in them. but this was no leaked preview, this was a leaked game title that everyone already knew was coming out) so basically they are just picking on them with their response of "Fine! I'm taking my ball and going home." Turns out they are both playing the victim card.

Whether or not you agree with them is moot.
This ruins nothing for Activision, they still get to make piles of money when it gets released. Their response to the situation certainly doesn't garner them any good will. It will cost them more than anything (if it costs them anything.) Amazon screwed up and now Activision say's it's all gameblog's fault, even though if gameblog complied with their request it'd still be on every other gaming blog/site, on twitter, on facebook, etc. And Amazon would still be the people responsible for the leak. Activision has handled this horribly, their response doesn't garner them any good-will from the community. With few exceptions, like yourself, of course.

"Publishers and game journos respect embargoes and NDA's on a regular basis."
And just like "REAL" journalists, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they are even punished like gameblog was, but that doesn't make them bad at their jobs, and criticize integrity all you want, but some poeple take it more seriously than others.
Of course, this can just be a traffic (and therefore money) grab from gameblog, but you claim that's Activision's motivation as well, so I guess they are equal footing when it comes to the moral high-ground.

"they asked them to remove it because they probably had a significant dollar amount invested in an official roll-out."
For a preview yes, but not really for announcing 'new' projects. Even if it did cost them, it's a Drop in the bucket compared to the real revenue this game will pull in, and once again, they should speak to amazon about revealing that information for other people to look at if they want to avoid leaks in the future.

Lets see how this played out:

Activision - more people dislike them.
Gameblog.fr - more hits/day.

14. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 23:50 Tumbler

Uh...isn't Amazon the one who blew it here?

Good for Gameblog.fr for sticking with the story. I hate all the bullshit that erupts from publishers when something like this slips.

If activision had simply kept their mouth shut I'm sure this would have been a story that barely gets noticed. But now it's front page news on every site on the internet. Congratulations Activision! Now everyone knows that the next CoD will be Black Ops 2.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 22:51 Hump

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

12. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 22:25 Draugr

William Usher wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 21:45:
Hump wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 15:00:
For once I'm siding with Acti as much as that pains me. Gameblog are acting as if they are being targeted like political prisoners in a 3rd world nation. Acti messed up and released something by mistake. They asked Gameblog to remove the piece since acti probably had plans for a major roll-out and all the costs involved with that. Instead Gameblog decided to create drama and ignore whatever business relationship etiquette they had to garner attention for their site. Now theyre crying to the game press that they received "unfair" pressure when acti decided to exclude them from future product roll outs etc. Theres no constitutional guarantee of equal access to game announcements. Gameblog acted like petulant little brats and Acti gave them what they deserved. Fuck 'em

Ahaha, yeah because obviously Gameblog would have been a top-of-the-crop pick for an exclusive Call of Duty announcement? Don't kid yourself.

And it obviously didn't pain you to side with Activision, we all know one of the big dogs in the yard will get the "exclusive" reveal and all the smaller guys will fight for the scraps. It's pathetic the way the gaming industry press works.

What's worse is that these guys did legitimate legwork and you're balking at them for being whiney? I hope you're not the same kind of gamer who complains about Top 5 lists and "fan-service" articles because that would pretty much make you anti-video game press.

You'll also notice Activision's and Amazon's relationship will remain unaffected, despite the fact that THEY were the people who actually ruined any exclusivity deals they may or may not have had with gameinformer.

Of course, it's easier to just blame a journalist for doing their job, and then screwing yourself out of the free advertising space on their site by blacklisting them. Even if Gameblog complied and took down the article, the news would already be out, and there'd be no stopping it. The issue was caused by Amazon, they should talk to amazon if you want to avoid leaks in the future.

11. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 21:45 William Usher

Hump wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 15:00:
For once I'm siding with Acti as much as that pains me. Gameblog are acting as if they are being targeted like political prisoners in a 3rd world nation. Acti messed up and released something by mistake. They asked Gameblog to remove the piece since acti probably had plans for a major roll-out and all the costs involved with that. Instead Gameblog decided to create drama and ignore whatever business relationship etiquette they had to garner attention for their site. Now theyre crying to the game press that they received "unfair" pressure when acti decided to exclude them from future product roll outs etc. Theres no constitutional guarantee of equal access to game announcements. Gameblog acted like petulant little brats and Acti gave them what they deserved. Fuck 'em

Ahaha, yeah because obviously Gameblog would have been a top-of-the-crop pick for an exclusive Call of Duty announcement? Don't kid yourself.

And it obviously didn't pain you to side with Activision, we all know one of the big dogs in the yard will get the "exclusive" reveal and all the smaller guys will fight for the scraps. It's pathetic the way the gaming industry press works.

What's worse is that these guys did legitimate legwork and you're balking at them for being whiney? I hope you're not the same kind of gamer who complains about Top 5 lists and "fan-service" articles because that would pretty much make you anti-video game press.

10. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 20:55 Draugr

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 20:34:
nin wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 20:23:
Transformers isn't a movie tie-in, thankfully. It's a mediocre game in it's own right.

With no pc port this time around.

THank god - they turn those games all with the same crappy engine and crappy gameplay. Hulk, Spiderman, Transformers, Superman - all of those games SUCKED.

It is as though they all use the same template and just put in their own models and levels.

Not really, Transformers was more akin to gears of war, sans cover mechanics (IIRC) than anything of those games you've described. Both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were well done, as well. Just because there's a transformers movie doesn't mean the video game is a tie in, Just like Arkham City and Arkham Asylum weren't movie tie ins. I think there were some transformer games based on the movies but they were laughably horrible, which is why people have the Knee Jerk reaction they do, when they see stuff like this.

But yeah, franchise games either suck, or are mediocre at best.
There are a few exceptions to the rule, though.

9. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 20:46 Draugr

Transformers isn't a movie tie-in, thankfully. It's a mediocre game in it's own right.

Well then they an walk off a cliff!

That being said, that PC port was particularly atrocious, so Perhaps they are doing us a favor ;). Capped at 30fps without 3rd party tools, being the most glaring issue.

8. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 20:34 xXBatmanXx

THank god - they turn those games all with the same crappy engine and crappy gameplay. Hulk, Spiderman, Transformers, Superman - all of those games SUCKED.

It is as though they all use the same template and just put in their own models and levels.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 20:23 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 19:11 Draugr

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 16:52:
It sounds like Gameblog did pretty well out of this, as they scored the exclusive reveal on one of the biggest games of the year. Their "punishment" was being uninvited to an event for a shitty movie tie-in game. Activision should know that once the cat-is-out-of-the-bag it can't be put back in again, so they shouldn't punish websites for reporting it; I do see it as a large publisher throwing its weight around.

Yeah, that's awesome how they punish the blog for amazons screw up. Classy.
As you said, when the cats out of the bag there is no getting it back in. Gameblog could have complied with their request and we'd still know. What makes it even more laughable is that everyone knew activion was ramping up to release their annual cod expansion as they said they wanted to 'madden' the cod franchise ages ago.(with the same awesome pricing scheme) so this really isn't news to anyone, all it does is confirm a title, which is irrelevant, the rest will be more of the same.

Good on the people of Gameblog for telling Activision no, Everyone knows lots of sites would roll right over. If Activision wants to punish the website by depriving themselves of free advertising, no one will stop them.

5. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 16:52 theyarecomingforyou

It sounds like Gameblog did pretty well out of this, as they scored the exclusive reveal on one of the biggest games of the year. Their "punishment" was being uninvited to an event for a shitty movie tie-in game. Activision should know that once the cat-is-out-of-the-bag it can't be put back in again, so they shouldn't punish websites for reporting it; I do see it as a large publisher throwing its weight around.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

4. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 16:23 Cutter

nin wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 15:34:
Is it really any secret there's a new COD game?

There are no new COD games. Merely expansions they call new games and charge as such.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 15:34 nin

Is it really any secret there's a new COD game?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 15:00 Hump

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

1. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 14:22 CommunistHamster

Extremely profitable game in sequel shock.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo