Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue, notorious hater of movie theaters, surprised my last night by spontaneously announcing we needed to go see The Artist, the first Hollywood silent movie since, well, Silent Movie. It might seem like a lot of work for a modern audience to take in a silent flick, but the storytelling was effortless, and the movie was pretty magical. Oddly, over the past six years, I have seen exactly one best picture nominee before the Oscars every other year. Sadly, this isn't a predictor, as the ones I've seen are 50/50 at winning (Avatar lost and No Country for Old Men won).

Silent Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Next Please.
Ancient Bear.
Stories: Daughter of 'Star Wars' creator, fighting for MMA title. Thanks scorcese.fan.
Science: WHO calls for publication of the full details of the new avian flu virus.
Media: Better than Skyrim: Snow shoveling first-person shooter.
National Geographic Megafactories LEGO.
22 Bond Movies in One Minute.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Follow-up: Does anyone else remember "Animusic?" Now in real life....
Linsanity helps end Knicks blackout on N.Y. cable.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2012, 18:15 PHJF

It was fine, but the cheap CGI really irked me at times. Suffice it to say the first scene involving CG involves a baseball, and it looked really, REALLY bad.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2012, 16:13 Mr. Tact

And what did you think of Chronicle?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: the technology tree is now complete Feb 19, 2012, 13:28 PHJF

I saw Chronicle yesterday and there was a trailer for... The Three Stooges. I wanted to burn down the theater with everyone still in it.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: the technology tree is now complete Feb 19, 2012, 10:02 Mr. Tact

space captain wrote on Feb 19, 2012, 00:00:
you've discovered subjectivity! amazing!
Sorry, sometimes (like now) I'm just in the mood for posting. You'd be surprised at percentage this forum accounts for my total amount of human interaction -- especially since I quit WoW. =p

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2012, 07:09 Golwar

Sweet that you liked "The Artist" Blue, good taste (especially of Mrs. Blue).

But please don't claim that is an Hollywood movie, because it is everything but that.

12. Re Daughter of 'Star Wars' creator, fighting for MMA title. Feb 19, 2012, 06:44 Kosumo

Sweet, filmed her first fight in New Zealand back then  

11. the technology tree is now complete Feb 19, 2012, 00:00 space captain

you've discovered subjectivity!

amazing!

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2012, 22:26 Mr. Tact

Meh, if you enjoy it I'm happy for you. It certainly is a matter of taste. I've seen some Chaplin stuff was neither especially impressed nor did it create any desire to see it again or anything like it.

Reminds me of The Three Stooges. Some people laugh their asses off watching that stuff. Me? I just shake my head and shrug.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2012, 22:40.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2012, 22:20 Cutter

Max-Ray wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 22:03:
I think "The Artist" is a beautiful movie. If per chance you'd want to delve into other traditional silents, I'd recommend "The Black Pirate" because it is THE quintessential pirate move and "Wings" as its the first Best Picture Oscar winner - and the flying sequences are pretty spectacular. Anything from Chaplin is exceptional. For flat out comedy, Buster Keaton or Harold Lloyd can't be beat.

Agreed. I watch a ton of TCM and some of those old silents are just brilliant.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2012, 22:03 Max-Ray

I think "The Artist" is a beautiful movie. If per chance you'd want to delve into other traditional silents, I'd recommend "The Black Pirate" because it is THE quintessential pirate move and "Wings" as its the first Best Picture Oscar winner - and the flying sequences are pretty spectacular. Anything from Chaplin is exceptional. For flat out comedy, Buster Keaton or Harold Lloyd can't be beat.  

7. Re: Linsanity helps end Knicks blackout on N.Y. cable Feb 18, 2012, 18:22 Mr. Tact

Okay, now that is damn funny.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2012, 17:40 The Half Elf

I think you'd be surprised Cutter, if I remember correctly, Lego can be re-melted back down to make more of them fairly easily and without much or any leftover waste. The glue that we used to make the larger sets, is a (for lack of better phrasing) type of liquid plastic that is the same used for the bricks. So when we were done with a set piece it would be shipped back and re-melted down and made into more Lego.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2012, 16:40 Cutter

Interesting documentary on LEGO. It got me to wondering about LEGO and the environment though. Surely it can't be good.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2012, 15:39 eRe4s3r

And 20m of ads... on volume level 11  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2012, 15:14 DangerDog

Did they play the extra loud THX intro before the movie started?

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2012, 15:10 Hoop

" ..... , ."  

Um .. Behind you...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2012, 14:47 Enahs

Silent Movie in a movie theater? I dunno. I know they are not actually silent, there is musical scores and ambiance. But a cell phone ringing during a "silent movie" would piss me off 1000 times more then in a normal movie. It would also probably ruin it more from me as well.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo