Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Layoffs Strike Starbreeze

Starbreeze Studios is cutting 25 jobs, reports GamesIndustry.biz (registration required), saying they follow the completion of the Swedish developer's Syndicate shooter for EA. They also note that Peter Tornquist will resign from Starbreeze's board with no replacement planned. "It is sad that we are forced to make staff cutbacks affecting employees," says Starbreeze CEO Mikael Nermark. "But we have to reduce staff after the final delivery of the Syndicate."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 19, 2012, 13:41 ForgedReality

Never heard of it...  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 20:25 Dmitri_M

Most of these guys are probably artists.

You lot need to spend some time reading up CG\game artist job postings. They're mostly contract positions with finite time periods.

Artists (non-lead) are the bottom rung of any games company. The programmers are treated like gods. The CG world is slightly slanted towards artists, but the technically inclined scripters etc are still favoured.

I've been employed in CG art for 8 years, 6 of that full time. The only way you get to be employed fulltime that long as an artist is to be working in a segment\market of the industry that essentially produces low to mid end crap. I don't often get to do "cool stuff". To get really good movie showreel pieces or great game credits you need to be prepared to migrate from job to job.

Sadly for me I'm getting to old and want to start doing things outside of work, so I tend to pick crappy fulltime CG jobs that enable stability.

Prez wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 07:01:
My son really wants to be a game designer. He's taking computer programming courses right now while also doing online schooling for videogame development. He is his own man, so far be it from me to tell him what to do, but every time I read an article such as this I send it to him.

The videogame industry is brutal, thankless, and unrewarding for all but a select lucky few.

Well, at least he's not going into game art. That would be a huge mistake, warn him off if tries doing that. Programming he should be fine, just make sure if he studies after school he does a general programming degree not something specific to video games.

Parent's need to treat careers in art like a career in consuming crack. Art students are the result of poor parenting.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2012, 21:01.

19. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 13:02 Wildone

For sure engineers are much sought after usually get jobs no problemo.  

18. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 13:02 ASeven

Cutter wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 09:37:
ASeven wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 08:11:
My son really wants to be a game designer. He's taking computer programming courses right now while also doing online schooling for videogame development. He is his own man, so far be it from me to tell him what to do, but every time I read an article such as this I send it to him.

The videogame industry is brutal, thankless, and unrewarding for all but a select lucky few.

Tell him to go indie and never look back.

Better still get a degree in physics or maths and make yourself invaluable. Guys that have that and code can write their own ticket in the games industry.

Absolutely, coding and pretty much any science complement each other quite well since the knowledge gained studying a science can be easily applied to coding.

17. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 09:37 Cutter

ASeven wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 08:11:

Better still get a degree in physics or maths and make yourself invaluable. Guys that have that and code can write their own ticket in the games industry.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 09:36 Bumpy

So no FOV patch for Syndicate then, eh. Guess I'll borrow the console version from a friend then.  

15. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 08:11 ASeven

14. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 07:01 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 05:48 ASeven

Every game that had staff laid off before its release has been atrocious. Guess we now know what this one will be, not that there was any doubts.  

12. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 03:18 Jago

DangerDog wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 02:43:
Final delivery, and most likely no after release support - or very little.

This.

11. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 02:43 DangerDog

Final delivery, and most likely no after release support - or very little.  

10. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 01:32 Wildone

Yep thats bad management, and its not a standard practice like the film industry (yet) and studio's definitely do not pay employee's like the film industry either to offset the way they do projects  

9. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 01:23 Jerykk

Wildone wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 01:13:
Its not right, and like I said its not in a publishers interest to do this really, they develop the game and gain shared knowledge as a team as well as working together, its all lost when they scatter people to the wind. I can understand if the game does poorly..but its not even out yet?! Do they expect it to suck off the bat? In which case its the management who should get fired for green lighting a shitty project to start with. And btw the trailers have been interesting..I dont think its gonna suck that bad.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the publisher. EA simply funded the game. They didn't manage the hiring process. When you see layoffs like this, it means the developer didn't have enough other projects lined up to support the extra staff hired for their previous game and they can't afford to keep paying them for just sitting around doing nothing.

8. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 01:13 Wildone

Its not right, and like I said its not in a publishers interest to do this really, they develop the game and gain shared knowledge as a team as well as working together, its all lost when they scatter people to the wind. I can understand if the game does poorly..but its not even out yet?! Do they expect it to suck off the bat? In which case its the management who should get fired for green lighting a shitty project to start with. And btw the trailers have been interesting..I dont think its gonna suck that bad.  

7. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 01:10 Beelzebud

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 23:51:
This is pretty typical practice for the game industry. It's just how things work. Don't grow up to be game developers, little children.

That doesn't mean it's right...

6. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 01:05 Wildone

No its not normal, I never worked at a studio where this was normal practice. Unless they are just 25 testers then yes thats how it goes for those guys, but it sounds like they laid off the dev team.  

5. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 00:50 Cutter

I have a lot of friends who work in film and make an absurd amount of money relative to the actual work they do.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 00:32 Kosumo

Bingo Donkey Punch - it's the way Peter Jackson likes to make his money movies. (but the Hobbit movies made 3000 jobs! - yeah right lots of 4 weeks jobs in that 3000 and then once done - none yet the government gives them tax breaks so Peter can get richer)

Still we know this is the way thing are done in these industry, I just hate how its made out as thought thats not gonna happen - could they just be honest for once? (if they did they would have to pay employees more to make up for it so they make out that it comes as a suprise and are so sorry)

3. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 18, 2012, 00:24 Donkey_Punch

Same thing in the film industry. We are all freelancers. Once the job is done you are unemployed.  

2. Re: Layoffs Strike Starbreeze Feb 17, 2012, 23:51 TychoCelchuuu

This is pretty typical practice for the game industry. It's just how things work. Don't grow up to be game developers, little children.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo