Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Mass Effect 3 DRM

BioWare's Casey Hudson offers reassurances to gamers by way of Computer and Video Games that the use of Origin does not mean Mass Effect 3 will be burdened by intrusive DRM. They say the game will use a one time online activation, and will allow an unlimited number of installs. Here's more from Hudson:

We use Origin, and it's interesting because really, it's just a way to get access to the online and digital features that, you know, generally, PC games have now. I think people are going to be fine with it.

"I think that the people who try Mass Effect 3 on Origin will realise that it's not an intrusive DRM scheme," he added. "It's just a way for you to sign up for the online services that you're going to get on an ongoing basis through Mass Effect 3.

"Just like you get with any other kind of online digital distribution, or multiplayer or whatever. It's not something that requires you to always be online - you can play Mass Effect 3 offline."

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

49. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 13:38 Silicon Avatar

Bhruic wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 12:06:

If I have to sign up for Origin it kind of defeats the purpose of avoiding Origin.

If EA gets its head out and puts the game and its DLC on Steam then I'll consider it.

So you'd buy it on Steam if you still had to use Origin to activate it?

MS Live did that with some of their games and that sucked. I would be very hesitant to try that scenario again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 13:32 Jivaro

So weird, I have no problem picking which directory my Origin games go into. For example, all my games go into a "games" directory on my C drive rathe then the default "Program Files". Origin itself is in "C:\Games\Origin", while the the two games I have through Origin are in "C:\games\Origin Games". Neither directory was the default suggested by Origin at install.

Or am I misunderstanding and what you mean is that you want each game in its own directory? For example "C:\Mass Effect 3" and "C:\Battlefield 3" etc etc etc....rather then one directory that has all of the games in individual sub-directories.

47. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 12:42 Mashiki Amiketo

merloid wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 06:39:
I still can't specify what directory I want my Origin installed games to install in. Anything but the default causes it to complain loudly and not install anything. Editing config files or making symlinks don't work.

And in ten days, this issue is around six months old.

Yay.
Oddly I just gave this a go, mostly because my main SSD is pretty full. And yep, Origin not only screams but screams loudly, and doesn't want anything to do with symlinks(seeing them as not there). Freaking useless. Steam doesn't have the best install support, but at least it obeys symlinking.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

46. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 12:18 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 11:37:
Tony!!! wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 10:49:
Christ. What a bunch of Whinny little bitches crying over a NOTHING Issue!
EA trying to subvert the industry by boycotting the largest digital distribution service is a "NOTHING Issue"? What the hell do you class as serious? If it wasn't for Steam then EA would never have allowed you to redownload your games, nor would the Origin client even exist.

You might not care but some of us reject EA's attempt to undermine Valve. Businesses should compete upon merit, not by screwing over the competition. Virtually everything in the Origin store is dramatically overpriced and reduced competition is certainly not going to do anything to change that.

Fuck EA.

Factually wrong on all kinds of levels, Mr. Valve Fanboi No. 1 . It was Valve who kicked EA from Steam and not EA leaving or let alone "boycotting" Steam. "Boycotting"... -> LULZ. What a bunch of bullshit!
Fact is EA wanted to sell some extra stuff for their games outside of Steam. Steam said "no you can't" and showed EA the door. If Valve wouldn't be such tight assholes with control freak mania who want to control what exactly happens with any and every game they are offering on Steam then EA would still be on Steam.

It's also beyond schizophrenic that you don't want anyone to compete with Steam but yet seem to be of the opinion that more competition is good. Or is the only good competition only small competition that does not "undermine" the holy site that Steam seems to be for you?
If you really think that competition is good then you should embrace Origin. If Origin is really as terrible as you make it out to be then the market will sort it out because Origin will fail if it isn't competitive. Simple economics 101. Supply and demand. It's that simple really.
At least for objective people like me who aren't up to their neck in Gabe's fat ass, trembling in our little corner that the holy Empire that is Valve might actually finally have to deal with serious competition for once. Oh noes! We can't have that now, can we?

45. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 12:18 Tony!!!

Dades wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 11:33:

It's not our fault mommy never loved you.

Ohhh, you don't have to call it love son. But your mommy gave plenty.

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

44. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 12:06 Bhruic

If I have to sign up for Origin it kind of defeats the purpose of avoiding Origin.

If EA gets its head out and puts the game and its DLC on Steam then I'll consider it.

So you'd buy it on Steam if you still had to use Origin to activate it?

43. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 12:01 Jivaro

Redundant post..someone else said the same thing.

Pretend this was a Victoria Secret ad or something.

42. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 11:51 Silicon Avatar

It's sort of stupid for them to turn people away based on what store they want to shop at, but that's EA for you.

41. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 11:37 theyarecomingforyou

EA trying to subvert the industry by boycotting the largest digital distribution service is a "NOTHING Issue"? What the hell do you class as serious? If it wasn't for Steam then EA would never have allowed you to redownload your games, nor would the Origin client even exist.

You might not care but some of us reject EA's attempt to undermine Valve. Businesses should compete upon merit, not by screwing over the competition. Virtually everything in the Origin store is dramatically overpriced and reduced competition is certainly not going to do anything to change that.

Fuck EA.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

40. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 11:33 Dades

It's not our fault mommy never loved you.

39. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 10:49 Tony!!!

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

38. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 10:17 theyarecomingforyou

Bhruic wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 09:42:
It's not even an Origin digital exclusive. It's being sold through quite a few online vendors, just like BF3 is/was. It's just not being sold through Steam.
It obviously isn't Origin exclusive, though it does require Origin and isn't being sold through the largest digital distribution platform: Steam. Given EA's shitty history with customer service and support I cannot fault anyone for wanting to steer well clear of it. It's the reason I haven't bought BF3 and won't buy ME3.

37. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 09:42 Bhruic

I cared about ME3 until they made it an Origin exclusive. Now I don't. That will just keep happening.

Well, good to know you still care about ME3 then, because it's not an Origin exclusive. It's not even an Origin digital exclusive. It's being sold through quite a few online vendors, just like BF3 is/was. It's just not being sold through Steam.

How "not being sold through Steam" became "Origin exclusive" still baffles me.

36. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 08:23 Silicon Avatar

finga wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 22:50:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 21:27:
I just don't have a need to install yet another DL service that doesn't offer me any benefits.
Well, you can play ME3 and Battlefield 3 on it. Can't do that anywhere else...

I mean, unless you don't care for those games, which I guess I understand, but you'll care about something that's an Origin exclusive eventually.

Having to sign up for yet another DL service when I don't want to AND having to pay $60 for the "privilege" on top of that is not a big benefit to me. Actually, that's no benefit at all. It's like going to Wal*Mart and having to fill out a form to get through the front door - and then still having to pay your bill on the way out. Games are everywhere - if EA doesn't want me to play their games I will play Bethesda games on Steam - a service I already like.

I cared about ME3 until they made it an Origin exclusive. Now I don't. That will just keep happening.

35. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 08:10 ASeven

"Hey guys, our DRM isn't really a bad DRM like UbiDRM, you don't need to stay online! You only will have all your files scanned by us for god knows what!"  

34. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 07:33 theyarecomingforyou

Mordhaus wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 07:10:
1. Any game that needs to give a copy of a recently released top tier title (BF3) to increase poor pre-order numbers is probably not going to be a good game.
I saw a few articles about that but it has either stopped or was never available in the UK.

33. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 07:10 Mordhaus

1. Any game that needs to give a copy of a recently released top tier title (BF3) to increase poor pre-order numbers is probably not going to be a good game.

2. Origin. Terrible service, not user-friendly, and it is bloody well intrusive.

Sorry to say it, but I'll just have to watch the ending of this great saga on YouTube. Sad really, when you consider I used to be a huge BioWare fan until they started producing crap sequels instead of original games. Chalk up another ruined company thanks to EA.

32. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 07:04 Prez

I don't view Origin as DRM. I view Origin as half-assed bloatware.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

31. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 06:39 merloid

I still can't specify what directory I want my Origin installed games to install in. Anything but the default causes it to complain loudly and not install anything. Editing config files or making symlinks don't work.

And in ten days, this issue is around six months old.

Yay.

30. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 06:07 finga

Jerykk wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 05:27:
Based on the demo, this feels like ME2.5. I'm not seeing any significant changes. At least, nothing like the changes between ME1 and 2.
You mean from a gameplay perspective, right? Not all of us play Mass Effect solely (or even primarily) for the awesome shooter action.

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo