Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Skyrim DLC

Speaking with Kotaku, Bethesda's Todd Howard discusses plans for DLC for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, saying each DLC pack will "feel closer to an expansion pack." There is also discussion of other smaller releases interspersed along the way (though Horse Armor goes unmentioned), and a discussion of ambitions besides DLC for tweaking and enhancing the game.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 20, 2012, 08:17 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Feb 19, 2012, 21:17:
My issue with the dungeon sound mod is that the sounds don't reflect what's actually happening. If I hear rats, there should actually be rats scurrying around. If I hear a gate open, then someone should actually be opening a gate. I like to play stealthy and as such, sound plays a pretty important part of my environmental awareness.

I'll agree with this.

I'm now 10 hours in, too, and have noticed some things I miss about Oblivion beyond just Acrobatics:
1) How come no monsters follow you through doors? I remember a time in Oblivion in which I came across a pack of trolls before I could handle them. I took one out, but had to run for my life from the other 2. They both followed me out of the cave, where I led them to an Imperial Hunter that they slaughtered, but it gave me time to hide, heal, and take them down (while hiding and healing a few more times.) In Skyrim you can just walk through a door - in fact a tactic I use against boss type enemies is to fight them at a door and slip through it to heal with magic rather than waste potions

2) Speaking of, it seems harder to hide. If you're outside some creatures seem to have an uncanny ability to follow you for miles, even if you're sneaking and sightline is broken

3) Why are enemies only on your HUD if they see you? If you see them they aren't there, and if they see you but you don't see them they're there. I assume Detect Life handles this, but I don't have it yet

4) Man, do I ever miss Night Eye. Did the mages just forget how to cast this? I'd love a ring of night eye (we can only wear one ring, eh?)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 19, 2012, 21:17 Jerykk

My issue with the dungeon sound mod is that the sounds don't reflect what's actually happening. If I hear rats, there should actually be rats scurrying around. If I hear a gate open, then someone should actually be opening a gate. I like to play stealthy and as such, sound plays a pretty important part of my environmental awareness.  

25. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 19, 2012, 20:50 ^Drag0n^

Dev wrote on Feb 19, 2012, 15:06:
wrigleyvillain wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 16:21:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 13:43:
That sound mod looks (err sounds) cool.

Yeah...I'm still on the fence. While the dungeons especially are missing sufficient sound ambiance this mod seems "too much".
You can always mod the mod. Or just not use it at all.

Anything that enhances the feeling of tension and vulnerability is a plus to me... So few games do a good job at creating that feeling in the gamer...

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

24. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 19, 2012, 15:06 Dev

Yeah...I'm still on the fence. While the dungeons especially are missing sufficient sound ambiance this mod seems "too much".
You can always mod the mod. Or just not use it at all.

23. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 23:01 Jerykk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 21:43:
I am very surprised they are waiting so long to release content. People have spent a ridiculous amount of time in the game already, but I am noticing less and less people are playing it. Checking Steam stats and also the "what my friends have been playing" it has dropped off of #1 and slowly declining.....

Not sure when I will get it....

The game has only been out for a few months. It took 7 months for the first Morrowind expansion to be released and another 7 months for the one after that. It took about a year for the Oblivion expansion pack to be released.

If Bethesda really is trying to make the DLC more like expansion packs, then it makes sense for the development cycles to be longer. If people enjoyed Skyrim but eventually lost interest in it, then the DLC will probably reinvigorate that interest when it comes out.

22. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 21:43 xXBatmanXx

I am very surprised they are waiting so long to release content. People have spent a ridiculous amount of time in the game already, but I am noticing less and less people are playing it. Checking Steam stats and also the "what my friends have been playing" it has dropped off of #1 and slowly declining.....

Not sure when I will get it....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 18:06 Wowbagger_TIP

I think it's pretty good. Keep in mind that they amplified the new sound effects to make them stand out in the video. Most of them were pretty good I thought. The bat-wing flapping sound was too repetitive though. I think they might need to work on that one. It didn't sound right. I did like the bird and bug sounds from the wilderness video, and the rain and ocean sounds make a HUGE difference

I can easily see this mod being a must-have. It just seems like the world will be so much more alive with it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

20. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 16:21 wrigleyvillain

19. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 13:51 Mashiki Amiketo

^mortis^ wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 01:29:
Dwemer prequel campaign!
Dwemer prequel campaign!
Dwemer prequel campaign!

^m^
That'd be great. I've really wanted to know what happened to them ever since morrowind, and you bump into one on the main questline I know small chance of a spoiler, since the game is so old but hey.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

18. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 13:43 Silicon Avatar

17. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 13:18 ^Drag0n^

DG wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 09:04:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 07:19:
Last night they patched in Steam cloud support for savegames. Like that as I have several machines.

^D^
It looks like there's a 50mb limit for Skyrim, which is half that for the other games I have installed (except TF2 which has a gb).

I have 6 manual saves plus the 5 autosaves, which comes in at 118mb on my HDD but Steam Cloud reports 47mb used. Presumably it only backs up the most recent 5 or so saves.

Might want to bear that in mind especially if you have multiple characters on the go.

Good points.

ATM, I only have one character, but I know others that do multiples...

^D^

16. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 11:31 Techie714

Bhruic wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 09:55:
As a Skyrim thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAmYNTJDCsk

Holy crap does that mod sounds cool!

That was amazing!! I was scared just listening to it..lol.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

15. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 11:25 Dev

Bhruic wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 09:55:
As a Skyrim thread...

Holy crap does that mod sound cool!
"Sounds of Skyrim Project"
Intriguing.

14. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 09:55 Bhruic

As a Skyrim thread...

Holy crap does that mod sound cool!

13. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 09:39 Cutter

^mortis^ wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 01:29:
Dwemer prequel campaign!
Dwemer prequel campaign!
Dwemer prequel campaign!

^m^

That'd be sweet. I'd like to know more about the Dwemer seeing as they play such a prominent role in the history here.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 09:04 DG

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 07:19:
Last night they patched in Steam cloud support for savegames. Like that as I have several machines.

^D^
It looks like there's a 50mb limit for Skyrim, which is half that for the other games I have installed (except TF2 which has a gb).

I have 6 manual saves plus the 5 autosaves, which comes in at 118mb on my HDD but Steam Cloud reports 47mb used. Presumably it only backs up the most recent 5 or so saves.

Might want to bear that in mind especially if you have multiple characters on the go.

11. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 07:19 ^Drag0n^

Kastagir wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 21:21:

"We knew before release that we were going to support it in a larger way, with lots of updates every month," Howard said.

What? When is that going to start?

^D^

10. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 01:29 ^mortis^

Dwemer prequel campaign!
Dwemer prequel campaign!
Dwemer prequel campaign!

^m^

9. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 01:00 Cutter

Whilst I'm all for a more major expansion some shorter DLC wouldn't be bad either if they come out in a timely fashion. All in all I enjoyed most of the FO3/NV DLC. I'm curious what they're working on though. I'd love to see something that maybe takes the player to Elsweyr or the Black Marsh. I'd like to see either of those as the main staging for the next TES game.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8. Re: On Skyrim DLC Feb 18, 2012, 00:55 Kastagir

necrosis wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 21:59:
Words mean nothing when it comes to topics of DLC. We have been shafted and ripped off to many times to trust ANYONE'S words on the subject.

Just shut up and release the DLC. Prove us wrong.

Thinking of the promises made by Mr. Howard last Summer about the PC version of Skyrim having its own interface, I can understand this sentiment. However, if they released a DLC now, it would be comparable to "horse armor" in depth and scope. I'm fine waiting for more substantial content, even if it takes them a while. They probably want to patch the game up a bit more first anyways.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo