Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 18, 2012, 15:55 killer_roach

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 15:33:
Apples to apples would be Xbox 360 launch titles to PS Vita launch titles.

Xbox 360 launch titles had a median Metacritic score of 75, a high of 89 (Call of Duty 2), and a low of 62 (FIFA 06). Pretty comparable.

Also of note: eleven of the eighteen X360 launch titles were either sports or racing games, with six of those being the latest installments of EA or 2k's franchises (compared to 8/19 and 1/19 on the Vita lineup, although, oddly enough, those titles appear to have actually dragged the numbers on both systems down...).

One win in the 360's favor comparing launches... highest score of an original IP.
Condemned: Criminal Origins (X360) - 81
Escape Plan (PSV) - 74

(Both were wastelands for new IP - each have three such titles, although the 360's additional ones were the decent Kameo and the okay-ish GUN, while the other two new IPs on Vita, Reality Fighters and Little Deviants, have been duds. Likely also helps the 360 in that regard that two of their three new IPs were third-party.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 17, 2012, 19:13 The Half Elf

I was the exact same way with the Vita until I priced the (yet again Sony?) proprietary memory and was blown away. It's like the freaking Hard Drives for the Xbox 360 again.

While I did get to play with the system, I was impressed by the size (anything smaller then a DSi XL cramps my hands), weight, sheer power behind the system (Wipeout took a long time to load, but was beautiful, fluid and I couldn't find ANY jaggies), I could even deal with the price, but there just isn't enough out on the system, and I have a feeling developers aren't going to jump on it due to the history of the PSP.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 17, 2012, 18:36 avianflu

I was 100% ready to preorder and then the hilarious memory card prices were announced.

Honestly I love the dual joysticks but the system is going to slowwwllllly fail.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 17, 2012, 16:47 Ozmodan

As usual Sony is one of the last companies to realize that proprietary hand held gaming systems are pretty much obsolete with phones and pads taking their place.

The Vita is basically a dead system.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 17, 2012, 15:33 Agent.X7

killer_roach wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 15:13:
Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 14:13:
The launch games pretty much suck. (Except Uncharted.) Unfortunately, most consoles and portables launch with a shitty lineup to start. A side effect of the games taking longer to program than the hardware takes to be developed. Look at 3DS. That had shit at launch. Gameboy? PSP? PS1? Nintendo 64? They all had shitty lineups at launch.

Of Vita's launch lineup, it has a median Metacritic score (of games that have ratings) of 77, a high of 88 (Rayman Origins), and a low of 58 (Reality Fighters).

Of recent Xbox 360 releases, that list has a median Metacritic score of 74, a high of 88 (Joe Danger), and a low of 28 (AMY).

Granted, it's not a great time of year for console games, but still... that's reasonably comparable in terms of apples to apples.

Apples to apples would be Xbox 360 launch titles to PS Vita launch titles.

But I get what you are saying. They are mediocre games compared to mediocre titles being released right now. What I'm saying is that for launch games to get people to buy the system, they are shit. You shouldn't try to sell people systems based on 1 excellent title and 24 mediocre ones. They do, which is why sales are mediocre until they get good games out.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 17, 2012, 15:13 killer_roach

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 14:13:
The launch games pretty much suck. (Except Uncharted.) Unfortunately, most consoles and portables launch with a shitty lineup to start. A side effect of the games taking longer to program than the hardware takes to be developed. Look at 3DS. That had shit at launch. Gameboy? PSP? PS1? Nintendo 64? They all had shitty lineups at launch.

Of Vita's launch lineup, it has a median Metacritic score (of games that have ratings) of 77, a high of 88 (Rayman Origins), and a low of 58 (Reality Fighters).

Of recent Xbox 360 releases, that list has a median Metacritic score of 74, a high of 88 (Joe Danger), and a low of 28 (AMY).

Granted, it's not a great time of year for console games, but still... that's reasonably comparable in terms of apples to apples.

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 17, 2012, 14:28 Verno

The memory prices and launch line up put it firmly in the no sale tent for me. I really liked my PSP but I do a lot less portable gaming these days in general as well.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 17, 2012, 14:13 Agent.X7

Some games save on the game chip itself. Some games (like Uncharted) make you save on a memory chip.

The games aren't a bad price for portable games. (Except Uncharted - unless you pre-ordered it at $30 like I did.) The best part is they charge you less to download the game than to buy it on a chip. Also, you can buy old PS games to play on the Vita. In the future, games like Ruin (Warrior's Soul, I think it's called now) can be had for $60 that play on both the PS3 and the Vita for the same cost.

I already have one on the way, pretty much just for Uncharted. I have hope that it will get better games in the future. I also like the hardware and features much more than the 3DS. Non-glasses 3D on a portable strikes me as more of a gimmick than a feature, especially since all the games I have seen in 3D make the effect look very cheap - like cardboard cutouts at different depths on a stage. Touchscreens, however, are almost becoming a gaming requirement thanks to Apple and Google.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 17, 2012, 12:08 Tumbler

The biggest problem I see with the Vita ends up being the lack of memory on purchase. For $250 you get a system that can't "play" games. Forget all the other things stacked against this system, if you can't buy the system and a game and play it then you won't sell this system. (I don't believe you can save any progress without a memory card) (can you even update?)

Lets fast forward a few months when Sony drops the price and does something similar to the ambassador program and offers a bunch of free games when they drop the price to $199 and include the smallest memory card. (my prediction)

At that point they'll get hit square in the face with the price of games problem. The system is trying to give people to dual analogue stick experience which is going to work against it because that experience is available from other places (ps3/360) on many of the same games for less money. Many of the launch games are franchises people already know from the 360/ps3 and I don't see them lining up to buy these same games again to play them on the vita.

If this is your plan sony then you better start giving consumers a way to buy these at an inferior price the same way you're selling them an inferior version of a game for the ps3.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo