Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 22:27 Ant

Bhruic wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 22:21:
Microsoft's mad rush to try and combine the PC and phone/tablet OS is really misguided. I don't know if they think that they can leverage the desktop again, the way they did with IE, but people aren't going to switch to a Windows 8 phone/tablet just because they have Windows on the desktop. And that's assuming people having Windows 8 on the desktop. There's a good reason that Vista uptake was so low, and that's because there was no desire to upgrade. Once you've got a good working system, making fundamental changes to it is the last think you want to do.

I guess from their point of view, they've backed themselves into a corner of coming obsolescence, so they have to gamble to try and break into other markets, but I can't see this paying off for them.
W8 is going to be worse than Windows ME, Vista, etc.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 22:21 Bhruic

Microsoft's mad rush to try and combine the PC and phone/tablet OS is really misguided. I don't know if they think that they can leverage the desktop again, the way they did with IE, but people aren't going to switch to a Windows 8 phone/tablet just because they have Windows on the desktop. And that's assuming people having Windows 8 on the desktop. There's a good reason that Vista uptake was so low, and that's because there was no desire to upgrade. Once you've got a good working system, making fundamental changes to it is the last think you want to do.

I guess from their point of view, they've backed themselves into a corner of coming obsolescence, so they have to gamble to try and break into other markets, but I can't see this paying off for them.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 22:17 Ant

Metro sucks for desktop usages. I used it at work. Ugh!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 20:34 wtf_man

Metro will not catch on the desktop, especially in the enterprise. So he is absolutely right about Windows 7 being the "biggest enemy". (Which is weird, coming from a Linux columnist)

If Windows 8 gets deployed at all... it will be with Metro disabled via group policy. However, probably most IT shops will just skip it, like they did with Vista.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 20:01 The Half Elf

Bill Borre wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 17:34:
John Byrne had an awesome run on X-Men, Fantastic Four & Superman.

I really miss Art Adam's X-Men artwork of the 80's.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 17:34 Bill Borre

John Byrne had an awesome run on X-Men, Fantastic Four & Superman.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 17:22 Silicon Avatar

I agree. I finally got around to using 7 in the past year. I'm just not interested in 8. It doesn't even seem to have interesting features.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 16:03 SpectralMeat

I kind of agree with the Windows 8 prediction. I think the biggest killer for Windows 8 will be Windows7. Too many people were standing by and waited for a long time before finally moved on from Windows XP to upgrade to Windows 7, W8 is too early and I don't think it will offer so much more that people are ready to upgrade yet again.

Not to mention a lot of people are still on XP. I know I will not upgrade to 8 for a while. Win7 works just fine for me, and I see absolutely no reasons to upgrade.

Steam: SpectralMeat

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo