Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

This is the Presidents' Day weekend here in the U.S., which is supposed to be a holiday weekend. This is one of those occasions that I think of as a minor holiday that only schoolkids get off, but not only does MrsBlue have Monday off, but her office is having a half-day today as well, so maybe its more prominent than I think.

R.I.P.: Insomniac Programmer Michael Kuehl Passes Away.

Prominent Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Captain Commander.
Arcane Arena.
Haters War.
Links: Some People Think This Sign Is Too Complex.
Stories: New-car smell may come from toxic chemicals.
Flamingo Air, Cincinnati Airline, Offers Mile High Sex To Customers.
Science: Chemical used in plastics and food containers linked to obesity and diabetes.
The Best Science Visualizations of the Year. Thanks Neatorama.
HTTP 404 Error: Wall Not Found.
Media: I’ll Call You Back.
World’s First Ski-Thru Starbucks.
Follow-up: World's Hottest Pepper: Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Proclaimed New Champion Chile.
Charlie Sheen: 'I'm Tired Of Pretending Ashton Doesn't Suck' On 'Two And A Half Men'.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2012, 08:58 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 16:51:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 16:18:
@kanniballl & eDave

Ah, yeah. Just one of the many reasons I'm still baffled that our country has turning anti-union.

In principle unions are good things. Then again, so is communism. In practice it's not even close. I had to quit my last job because I was forced into the union. Forced mind you. Did we lose a war or something? I've actually emailed a few of our politicians asking them to get to work on right-to-work legislation like some of your sensible states have. If someone wants to join a union bully for them, but don't force the rest of the people that don't want to.

Well, Unions are still needed in some areas. I agree they aren't needed everywhere.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2012, 03:33 Paranoid Jack

Ant wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 22:44:
I took today off to make a four days weekend.

LoL, I did the same. +2 for you. +3 for me. Thanks to my job they scheduled me to work next weekend so they also gave me Tuesday off too. 1 down 4 to go.

@Cutter, I thought all employers that require you to join or pay Union dues also had an opt out? Where I work I can opt out and give the money to charity. Without getting into the whole Union debate I think they are a necessary evil for lack of better words. Just like an insurance policy if you will....

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2012, 22:44 Ant

I took today off to make a four days weekend.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2012, 16:51 Cutter

Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 16:18:
@kanniballl & eDave

Ah, yeah. Just one of the many reasons I'm still baffled that our country has turning anti-union.

In principle unions are good things. Then again, so is communism. In practice it's not even close. I had to quit my last job because I was forced into the union. Forced mind you. Did we lose a war or something? I've actually emailed a few of our politicians asking them to get to work on right-to-work legislation like some of your sensible states have. If someone wants to join a union bully for them, but don't force the rest of the people that don't want to.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2012, 16:18 Paranoid Jack

@kanniballl & eDave

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2012, 16:08 kanniballl

eDave wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 14:27:
Eh... As a contract worker I don't get paid Monday as HP recognizes the holiday. They have so many. Hell a whole week for Christmas! Cost me some bucks. I don't need days off. Get plenty between contracts.

Just ranting a bit.

Ah yes, the unpaid week off for the Christmas holidays. I remember that well -- though not for HP.

When I was a contractor it hurt me in other ways to. The company work-week was 37.5 hours but my contracting company was 40. So if you wanted to get paid for (other) holidays you had to average X hours of the last 7 months or something.

Of course, that week off for Christmas made it impossible to get any holiday pay until after July 4th as it dropped my average below the contractor threshold.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2012, 14:34 nin

eDave wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 14:27:
Eh... As a contract worker I don't get paid Monday as HP recognizes the holiday. They have so many. Hell a whole week for Christmas! Cost me some bucks. I don't need days off. Get plenty between contracts.

Just ranting a bit.

I had days like that as a contractor, and the service expected us to come into their home office and file paperwork for the day. So (deciding not to do that) I didn't get paid for those days, either. I also took two weeks of vacation a year, even when I didn't paid for those. But I felt I should be allowed a mental health week every 6 months.

Where I'm at now (in addition to vacation) gives you a pool of 2-3 days a year, and you can use them however you want. MLK day? Go for it. Presidents day? Fine too. Extra day after a holiday? If you have the time, it's allowed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2012, 14:27 eDave

Just ranting a bit.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2012, 12:47 kanniballl

This is the first time I can remember getting President's day off since at least college.

So, it'll be nice having a 3-day weekend.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2012, 10:22 Cutter

Hail to the chief because the chief needs hailing...blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahdy blah.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo