Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming

An article on IGN has word that, inspired by Double Fine's success, Brian Fargo's inXile Entertainment is planning a Kickstarter campaign to launch a Wasteland sequel for PCs and possibly other platforms, though this may not actually called Wasteland 2. Here's a bit:

He doesn't know if it'd be straight up called Wasteland 2, but he repeatedly emphasized that, despite having thought about it for only 48 hours, it wouldn't be a crazy genre change up. Wasteland, whatever its called, will be "100% faithful to its roots." This means a Wasteland game that "would be focusing on top-down, probably isometric, party based, skill based -- where if you'd just finished playing Wasteland and moved onto this you'd feel comfortable."

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 22:46 WyldKat

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 22:42:
If you don't want to dig it up and you don't feel like playing a retro title...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5qaO-s

That guy did a pretty cool "Let's Play" of Wasteland. His extra narration adds to the game and makes the video enjoyable.

ROFL... I was just getting ready to edit my post with a link to his LP. He is a PHENOMENAL LPer. Each one of his LPs is like a little story, Wasteland is one of his bests.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 22:44 WyldKat

Awesome! I wish them all the best of luck! Wasteland was a bit before my time but I did go back and play it from an Abandonware site and I really liked it.

I'll wait till they have more to show before I chip in, just did the whole prepay beta thing for Starfarer.

I really like this new paradigm of player funded development that's been forming over the past few years.

18. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 22:42 Beamer

I'm calling:
$100 from me
$400k overall. Maybe twice that. Hopefully 3 times.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 22:42 Silicon Avatar

If you don't want to dig it up and you don't feel like playing a retro title...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5qaO-s

That guy did a pretty cool "Let's Play" of Wasteland. His extra narration adds to the game and makes the video enjoyable.

16. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 22:34 Dev

Alamar wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 20:45:
On the one hand, I won't support big companies like DF/etc, because I think it's wasted dollars that would be better off helping 'start ups'
You realize you get the game AND the monthly documentaries for the $15 on the DF kickstart right?

Such monthly video documentaries released during the game's entire development and the private forum access to the devs is pretty unique in a project of this scale.

15. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 22:33 Suckage

A51Abductee wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 21:18:
Hopefully it doesn't turn into a legal quagmire courtesy of EA.

Apparently he acquired the rights to the game a while ago.

14. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 21:44 Dagnamit

Kosumo wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 21:29:
Tumbler wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 20:42:
Shut up and take my money!!!!!

Yep, this.

Ok, so how much have/are you two gonna put in his kick start account? As soon as possible since you say 'take my money'.

I see 3d realm doing this for a shadow warrior sequal before to long.

No kidding. At this rate, we may even see a sequel to Duke Nukem 3d.

13. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 21:43 space captain

yeh im throwin in

one of my top 5 pc games

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 21:39 ASeven

Holy fuck, I still have my original Wasteland 5.15" disks around for the C64! I loved the game, guess I'll have to send some money their way. Wasteland was and is a great, awesome game even by today's standards.  

11. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 21:29 Kosumo

Yep, this.

Ok, so how much have/are you two gonna put in his kick start account? As soon as possible since you say 'take my money'.

I see 3d realm doing this for a shadow warrior sequal before to long.

10. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 21:18 A51Abductee

Yep, this.

9. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:49 Cutter

Dev wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 20:39:
I've never played wasteland, thats one of the big inspirations for fallout isn't it?

Yep, sure was.

Wasteland

If I recall correctly Tim Cain said the book A Canticle for Leibowitz was the main influence. Well worth the read at any rate. Anyway, Wasteland was cool and definitely more than worthy of an update.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:47 Beelzebud

Dev wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 20:39:
I've never played wasteland, thats one of the big inspirations for fallout isn't it?

Fallout started out as Wasteland 2, but they couldn't secure the rights to the name.

7. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:45 Alamar

Irregardless of all the 'cashing in on the kick starter hype', this could be the week the world of PC gaming takes a huge turn...

On the one hand, I won't support big companies like DF/etc, because I think it's wasted dollars that would be better off helping 'start ups', but on the other, a few great successes can make this a feasible alternative, and hopefully come up with some neat new genres, or additions to. And who better to pay for classics updating than a bunch of cranky BluesNewsian curmudgeons : )

I am highly doubtful this will turn out to be a grand success; big (and little) devs will continue to go over budget, and in this case, no one will be around to extend times available or bail them out. I know a lot of people feel that's no different than the publisher backed model, but I do : )

-Alamar

6. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:42 Tumbler

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:39 Silicon Avatar

Sounds cool.

Does it really need a million dollars though? Yeesh..

4. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:39 Dev

3. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:37 Cutter

Holy shitsnacks that'd rock! Isometric thoug, not top-down please and thank you.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

2. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:34 Pineapple Ferguson

Could be cool, but probably won't be. Especially if it's anything like the last Bard's Tale..  

1. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:33 Dagnamit

I'm shuddering with anticipation.

/guess it's time for my annual Wasteland speedrun.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo