Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake

The Alan Wake Website announces the PC edition if Alan Wake is now available on Steam, where the Collector's edition is available for the standard edition price, offering the soundtrack from Remedy's psychological thriller along with all its DLC, an offer that's good until a week from today (and is also available through Impulse Driven). Here's an overview of the game:

When the wife of the best-selling writer Alan Wake disappears on their vacation, his search turns up pages from a thriller he doesn’t even remember writing. A Dark Presence stalks the small town of Bright Falls, pushing Wake to the brink of sanity in his fight to unravel the mystery and save his love.

Presented in the style of a TV series, Alan Wake features the trademark Remedy storytelling and pulse-pounding action sequences. As players dive deeper and deeper into the mystery, they’ll face overwhelming odds, plot twists, and cliffhangers. It’s only by mastering the Fight With Light combat mechanic that they can stay one step ahead of the darkness that spreads across Bright Falls.

With the body of an action game and the mind of a psychological thriller, Alan Wake’s intense atmosphere, deep and multilayered story, and exceptionally tense combat sequences provide players with an entertaining and original gaming experience.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 17, 2012, 01:26 Prez

In an ideal world, yes, you wouldn't need to suck up to your publisher.

You are responding to a point I was never trying to make. It is widely known to every gamer who had originally been following Alan Wake the PC game that Remedy had been acquired by MS and forced to develop AW as an Xbox exclusive. It's not a secret, so saying it is not some breach of trust or slap in the face. Better to not say anything then to pretend your customers are all dumbasses who can't immediately see right through your lame pandereing now that the game underperformed on the Xbox and there are expenses to recoup.

Orogogus wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 01:10:
Prez wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 21:55:
I don't like being pithy
That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Woops. Yeah, I need to pay attention to what the autocomplete on my Kindle Fire is changing my words to. I intended to write "petty", but apparently mangled it badly enough so that it looked like "pithy" was closer to what I actually typed.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2012, 01:38.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 17, 2012, 01:10 Orogogus

I don't like being pithy
That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 17, 2012, 01:04 Jerykk

AW is a shooter. Amnesia is survival horror. If you prefer shooters, you'll like AW. If you prefer survival horror, you'll prefer Amnesia.

If inoffensively stating a simple fact can, as you say, "sour your relationship" with your publisher, it's a good bet that said publisher was probably not the best one to crawl into bed with. There are plenty of publishers who would not have acted as stupidly as Microsoft did in this case, but then those publishers also most likely couldn't have paid them as much. Sometimes you need to look past the dollar signs just a little.

In an ideal world, yes, you wouldn't need to suck up to your publisher. Ideally, you wouldn't need publishers and even the biggest budget games could be funded by consumers directly. Unfortunately, that's not really how the industry works. Having connections and good relationships with publishers can be the difference between signing a new project or going out of business. It sucks but it's the reality of the business.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 17, 2012, 00:55 LittleMe

ASeven wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 23:34:
LittleMe wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 22:01:
This is so much better than the FEAR games were for me. What was that other indie spook game that came out about a year ago? Not as good as this.

Disagree completely. Amnesia is head and shoulders above this. I played Alan Wake on the xbox and though it was a fun little horror game no way it came close to the immersion and sheer terror of Amnesia.

Maybe you're right but I don't see it. Amnesia screamed low budget to me. AW has very, very nice outdoor areas. Even the indoor areas have lots of attention to detail. The acting is vastly better. The story is told far better. Production values are far beyond Amnesia. Maybe my expectations were low with AW, and too high with Amnesia.

With Amnesia, I think i got a a couple hours beyond the ghost splashing in the flooded basement. It just didn't grab me. Some areas had 1998 graphics, too. When Amnesia's story was supposed to be at the forefront, it felt like I got a "BOO! mysterious cliffhanger!" instead of story. I remember the ghost in the hole in the wall coming across as very b movie. You sure you aren't still wearing your beer goggles?

edit: sure ADD may be more scary. AW isn't that scary. But IMO it's a better game.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 17, 2012, 00:34 Mordecai Walfish

GMG $20.10 Alan Wake PC

Promo Code:

HALFT-ERMHO-RRORS

Cha-ching!

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 17, 2012, 00:30 Prez

To be fair, it's not like Remedy could have been honest and said "MS forced us to make Alan Wake an Xbox-exclusive." Well, they could have but that would have soured their relationship with a major publisher and that's generally something you want to avoid doing while in the games industry.

If inoffensively stating a simple fact can, as you say, "sour your relationship" with your publisher, it's a good bet that said publisher was probably not the best one to crawl into bed with. There are plenty of publishers who would not have acted as stupidly as Microsoft did in this case, but then those publishers also most likely couldn't have paid them as much. Sometimes you need to look past the dollar signs just a little.

At any rate, they certainly aren't winning over any fans with their sickening and transparent pandering to a market they not too long ago decided to abandon when they bedded down with Microsoft.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2012, 00:36.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 17, 2012, 00:22 Prez

nin wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 22:28:
How is it that 14% off on Steam and 33% off on GMG still equals 30 bucks on both sites?

Did you use the code on the checkout page, Wile E?

That drops it to $20.

D'OH!!

Actually I haven't bought it yet. I forgot to take into account that the GMG price was without the discount code entered in.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 17, 2012, 00:07 Jerykk

To be fair, it's not like Remedy could have been honest and said "MS forced us to make Alan Wake an Xbox-exclusive." Well, they could have but that would have soured their relationship with a major publisher and that's generally something you want to avoid doing while in the games industry. It's the same reason why High Moon is giving a bullshit reason for not porting the next Transformers game to PC. They claim that PC isn't their area of expertise and that they would only do it if they could do it right but really, the only reason the game isn't coming out for PC is because Activision doesn't want it to.

Publishers decide which platforms a game releases on, not developers, so any justification that a developer offers is always going to be a lie.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 23:34 ASeven

LittleMe wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 22:01:
This is so much better than the FEAR games were for me. What was that other indie spook game that came out about a year ago? Not as good as this.

Disagree completely. Amnesia is head and shoulders above this. I played Alan Wake on the xbox and though it was a fun little horror game no way it came close to the immersion and sheer terror of Amnesia.

Not interested in the port too due to the reasons Creston points, it left a very sour taste what they did to the PC version and their RPS interview is nauseating fake.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 22:36 Creston

The Steam store at www.steampowered.com isn't showing it as a new release.

I'm interested, but I can't deny the foul taste from the whole mess with the XBox exclusivity (of a once pc-centric game!!) is still there. I don't like being pithy, but I'm kinda glad it sold poorly. Serves everyone involved right.

Read the interview with the Remedy guy on RPS, and you'll really get a bad taste in your mouth. The Remedy guy is so fucking fake when he gushes about 'their love for the PC' it's just quite pathetic.

In the same PC wank fest that he tries to put on, he also talks about their next game (or next chapter in the game, whatever), which is of course again an Xbox 360 exclusive, because hey, if you didn't learn your lesson the first time, make sure to just keep fucking doing it over and over again.

I MAY get this in the inevitable -75% sale in... I give it six weeks.

Creston

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 22:28 Bumpy

Is it 90% off for those that already played it? No? Wait a few weeks.  

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 22:28 nin

How is it that 14% off on Steam and 33% off on GMG still equals 30 bucks on both sites?

Did you use the code on the checkout page, Wile E?

That drops it to $20.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 22:09 jacobvandy

I was going to wait until Amazon had the spiffy retail CE (all kinds of extras including physical versions of the art book and soundtrack, fancy packaging, etc. for only $5 more), but $20 for a Steam key wins.  

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 22:07 Prez

Okay, it's in the new releases category on Steam now. And the game page is displaying correctly. That video is pretty good.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 22:05 cappy

Yes!!!!

I'll be picking this up...

...and putting it back

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 22:01 LittleMe

I'm enjoying this game a whole lot. Love the Pacific Northwest setting, the national forest/park setting is very well executed. The gun work is satisfying and the enemies are fun to fight. This is so much better than the FEAR games were for me. What was that other indie spook game that came out about a year ago? Not as good as this.

GMG has it 33% discounted - http://www.greenmangaming.com/promo/awake/

Also, I find the graphics to be a step above Skyrim. So many story centric games fail to engage me but this actually enhances the whole atmosphere and makes the game even better.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 21:58 nin

Further discount:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/promo/awake/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 21:55 necrosis

1 year 9 months and they pitch it for $35, -14%. Just wow. I have seen AAA titles priced lower than that after the same amount of time.

In before blaming poor sales on piracy.

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 21:55 Prez

The Steam store at www.steampowered.com isn't showing it as a new release.

I'm interested, but I can't deny the foul taste from the whole mess with the XBox exclusivity (of a once pc-centric game!!) is still there. I don't like being pithy, but I'm kinda glad it sold poorly. Serves everyone involved right.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Alan Wake Feb 16, 2012, 21:54 Overon

2 year old game for 30 bucks? Going to want to wait to actually read how this console to pc port turned out.  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo