Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 PvP Details

ArenaNet Blog has an update from Mike Ferguson on World vs. World conflict in Guild Wars 2, or as George would put it: When world's collide (thanks Cutter). In this post, Mike goes into great detail on the large-scale PvP they have planned for their upcoming MMORPG sequel:

From the earliest days of development, we knew that we wanted to include some form of large-scale PvP combat in Guild Wars 2, but how would it work? We knew right away that we wanted three teams fighting against one another on a series of huge maps in the Mists (our world vs. world battleground) and that each team would be composed of an entire server full of players. Including three forces in world vs. world acts as an excellent balancing factor, preventing one team from growing too powerful and ruining the competitive balance of the game. Two teams can gang up to counter a more dominant third team, a dynamic that simply isnít possible with only two opposing factions.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 17, 2012, 15:10 Verno

Yifes wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 21:05:
Ugh. Sounds too awesome... Pretty much addresses everything that was wrong with WAR PvP

Yeah agreed, I hate being sucked in by MMO hype but the Guild Wars guys really do seem to get it.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 17, 2012, 14:53 wusel

Press beta is this weekend with nda being lifted on monday (some things will stay under nda). Maybe we'll get to see a first impression of the maps next week.  

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 17, 2012, 14:28 Fion

That article says 100+, but one of the lead designers said their goal is to have a maximum ceiling of 500 on each side.. and they'd like to get even higher.

Now mind that doesn't mean 500 v 500 v 500 all fighting in one big battle. Thanks to this article we now know the four zones are going to be the biggest in the game (the biggest they are able to make) with dozens of keeps, towers, resource points, etc that need to be controlled. I wouldn't doubt that we might see 100+ people on all three sides vying for the big central castle, but I'm happy to see they are implementing things that will make the classic 'DAoC giant zerg' a less effective tool than organized groups going after strategic targets.

I also like the mix of PvE and PvP. I like that even a small group can help your server (and your guild) in a big way by taking supply camps and protecting supply lines. Hell even having supply lines is a cool freaking idea.

Hopefully we'll get some vids soon on the WvW and maybe.. just maybe it'll be available to play during the March/April beta weekends.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2012, 14:34.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 17, 2012, 13:56 nin

3 teams of 100 plus people!

I don't like pvp at all, but I'd love to see huge, epic battles like that. It was why I played wintergrasp in WOW.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 17, 2012, 13:08 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, I am interested to see how this turns out, on the technical/playability side. "each team composed of an entire server full of players."

Aside from that, sounds like it may end up being a mess, though I am certainly going to try it. The more players you add, usually the less any person's individual efforts mean, and who wants to feel like a small cog in a vast machine in a game you play to ESCAPE reality?

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 17, 2012, 12:46 Gas Bandit

YES. They GET it. Why Warhammer only had 2 factions, when Mythic knew damn well 3 factions was the way to go (because they did that in DAOC and it worked amazingly well) I will never understand.  

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 17, 2012, 05:11 Cutter

I can understan not wanting to play on PvP servers because the ganking and griefing get old fast but when you can choose to jump in and out of it at will I don't see why people won't. It's no different from playing any team based FPS. And this has the potential to be really cool in larger guilds with co-ordinated work. Making deals with other teams...possibly double-crossing them, haha! This is the fantasy version of Planetside.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 17, 2012, 01:50 Prez

I always hated the fact that the PVE and PVP were so intertwined in Guild Wars. Doing so definitely hurt the appeal of the PVE side of things for me. Most of the limitations that I hated on stats and items were necessary for PVP balancing concerns. I guess GW was never meant to be a game for me, even though I've spent many hours in PVE playing it like Diablo. Even with all of its imposed limitations there was great questing to be done and much fun to be had.

I wonder if things will work the same for the sequel.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 16, 2012, 21:05 Yifes

Ugh. Sounds too awesome... Pretty much addresses everything that was wrong with WAR PvP  

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 16, 2012, 20:47 Wallshadows

The more information they reveal, the more interested I become. It seems like they've pretty much eliminated the reasons I never really liked the first one and have gone much further to give the impression that it will be a different step in the MMO genre.

I mean, they supposedly have over 1500 dynamic events which can happen throughout the world at any time. That's pretty god damn awesome.

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 PvP Details Feb 16, 2012, 20:42 Cutter

Holy shitsnacks! This sounds like an insane amount of fun! 3 teams of 100 plus people! This is going to rock like Mr. Spock!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo