Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 09:17 wtf_man

Julio wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 04:26:
Only $8? Way too much, what about the cost of the nets so they workers don't kill themselves? Shouldn't they take that out of the $8?

Don't worry, Apple will squeeze the suppliers so the workers make $1 per iPad. Can't have the workers making any money can we?

Buying apple products = supporting slavery

Not exactly trying to defend any company that does business with Foxconn, but this view is so fuckin' out there.

1. There are several tech companies that do business with Foxconn, including HP and Dell.
2. These comapanies have no control over how Foxconn treats their employees.
3. Even if they (ALL) dumped Foxconn and went somewhere else it would be a sweat shop too. Foxconn isn;t the only sweat shop out there.
4. We live in a fucking GLOBAL economy, now. ANY company that doesn't seek the lowest bidder for manufacturing is going to get UNDERCUT, and won't be in business very long.
5. It's up to the CHINESE to put an end to the sweat shops... BUT THEY WON'T. The government WANTS the rest of the world to be undercut.

It sucks... but it is what it is. I don't see anyone up in arms about Dell or HP using Foxconn, which is utter BS. Just about any electronics that are manufactured in China or Taiwan, comes from a sweat shop. Period. So, please get off your high horse if you own just about ANY electronics... because you are so full of shit, with your bleeding heart crap.

You are just picking on the most profitable company, and not looking at the whole picture.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2012, 09:26.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 04:26 Julio

Only $8? Way too much, what about the cost of the nets so they workers don't kill themselves? Shouldn't they take that out of the $8?

Don't worry, Apple will squeeze the suppliers so the workers make $1 per iPad. Can't have the workers making any money can we?

Buying apple products = supporting slavery

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 21:47 wtf_man

Yeah... after reading that Ars Technica bit... I guess I could upgrade if I wanted to.

But I don't.

Snow Leopard is fine, until I buy a new iMac.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 19:50 space captain

kinda getting sick of humanity in general

it seems hitler wasnt thinking nearly big enough

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 19:45 killer_roach

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 13:30:
Kinda getting sick of hearing outrage over labor conditions at Foxconn from people writing on MacBook Pros, or are on the waiting list to buy an iPad 3.

Cost of labor there IS ACTUALLY LOWER, people. One of the reasons manufacturers make products there rather than in Ohio.

On top of all that, this issue is just veiled geopolitical posturing, and it's getting old, tired, and lame...just like the Cuba travel ban.

^D^

They're closer to their raw materials, closer to their parts suppliers, and can roust a small army of engineers in the middle of the night to make a last-minute design change if so needed.

Even if the cost of labor was the same as in the US (and, depending on manufacturing processes, you could get pretty close to those numbers stateside - difference is we'd employ far fewer workers to do the job), there are still certain advantages to putting your factories in China.

(That being said, there have been concerns with the Chinese government lately that have started some of these contract manufacturers moving operations to Mexico...)

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 18:08 Burrito of Peace

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 17:46:
space captain wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 17:34:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 15:34:
Technically, I don't think I can upgrade to Lion, even if I wanted to. I have a 2007 iMac... and I read somewhere something about Lion doesn't support the older Core 2 Duos. I'm pretty sure Mountain Lion will definitely out of reach. (Not that I care)

it supports all intel cpus, and you will need 2gb ram as well... it doesnt support PPC tho

i dont advise it.. 10.6 is still way better

I'll wait for OSX: Voltron Black Lion to come out.

^D^

I'm waiting for Mac OS XI: Hipster Tears and Chinese Dreams

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 17:46 ^Drag0n^

space captain wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 17:34:
Technically, I don't think I can upgrade to Lion, even if I wanted to. I have a 2007 iMac... and I read somewhere something about Lion doesn't support the older Core 2 Duos. I'm pretty sure Mountain Lion will definitely out of reach. (Not that I care)

it supports all intel cpus, and you will need 2gb ram as well... it doesnt support PPC tho

I'll wait for OSX: Voltron Black Lion to come out.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 17:34 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 17:32 space captain

eunichron wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 15:31:
I was going to say that clearly he didn't get the memo that OS X/Apple products don't have bugs.

im certifiedTM apple tech, so yeh...

i write the memos, son

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 16:54 Kitkoan

Jim wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 13:16:
I'm still on Snow Leopard. I haven't really seen the need to upgrade yet.

Ditto.

Well according to the article the officially supported Macs are:

iMac (mid 2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)

So I guess it depends when your Mac was made as to will it work. I'm guessing it will be available through the OSX app store (possibly only there) and will be able to tell you if you can use it (or not show up if you can't use it).

I also think it will only be available through the OSX app store because it will help prevent people from needing to ask "Will my mac run this?"

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 15:34 wtf_man

Jim wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 13:16:

Ditto.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 15:31 eunichron

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 15:20:
space captain wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 12:12:
mountain lion??? wtf, they havent even got all the bugs out of 10.7 yet.. also i thought it was supposed to be the last "cat" named release

Clearly you didn't get the memo. Damn things have nine lives...

^D^

I was going to say that clearly he didn't get the memo that OS X/Apple products don't have bugs.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 15:20 ^Drag0n^

space captain wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 12:12:
mountain lion??? wtf, they havent even got all the bugs out of 10.7 yet.. also i thought it was supposed to be the last "cat" named release

Clearly you didn't get the memo. Damn things have nine lives...

^D^

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 15:18 ^Drag0n^

Bodolza wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 13:39:
...My knee has really been bothering me this week.

It was the arrow, wasn't it?

(oh come on, you HAD to see that coming...)

^D^

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 14:08 Creston

EIGHT BUCKS???!!!

I get ZERO!

!!RAEG!!

Creston

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 13:39 Bodolza

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 13:30:
Kinda getting sick of hearing outrage over labor conditions at Foxconn

I'm tired of seeing stories about Kim Kardashian and the Real Housewives of Orange County. What's with all the Hillbilly shows on TV? I wish the city would do something about the stench on 1st street. It's disgusting. My knee has really been bothering me this week.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 13:30 ^Drag0n^

Kinda getting sick of hearing outrage over labor conditions at Foxconn from people writing on MacBook Pros, or are on the waiting list to buy an iPad 3.

Cost of labor there IS ACTUALLY LOWER, people. One of the reasons manufacturers make products there rather than in Ohio.

On top of all that, this issue is just veiled geopolitical posturing, and it's getting old, tired, and lame...just like the Cuba travel ban.

^D^

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 13:16 Jim

Jim

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 12:12 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo