Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 3 in September

The Far Cry Website now offers a new "Stranded" trailer from Far Cry 3, the next installment in the first-person shooter series. The NSFW cinematic clip sets the story for the game, and reveals its release date, concluding saying it is due on September 4, 2012, and that you can get four free missions by preordering at GameStop.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 19:21 Sepharo

I was also a fan of paragliding, diamond hunting, and grass fires but didn't get very far in the game because the plot, mission structure, and of course respawning checkpoints made me not want to continue.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 18:20 Creston

Verno wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 09:16:
There were some poor design decisions but that didn't stop the game being incredibly enjoyable. The combat was excellent, the AI better than average (ignoring the terrible vehicle AI), the vehicle handling excellent (just look at RAGE for shitty handling), the engine top notch (excellent performance and visuals), the voice acting great, etc.

I don't know if you'd find many peole who would agree with that.

I do. I thoroughly enjoyed Farcry 2. The checkpoints were annoying and really should have been implemented better, but eventually I just made it a game to find new ways to either wipe out the checkpoint or to shoot past it.

I recently reinstalled it to play it again, but for whatever reason it doesn't like my win7-64 setup, as it judders during gameplay. Sigh

Creston

29. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 17:09 ^Drag0n^

Seems very...visceral & I like the premise of the game, but that CGI faux gameplay clip tells me ZERO about if it will deliver.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

28. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 16:57 eRe4s3r

It'll be a hit without the stupid checkpoint AI kamikaze drivers by default..

Funny... i also replay FC2 right now and find that if you use the bus-system properly you often can avoid most "annoying" checkpoints

Though i find sniping is way over powered in this game, nearly no recoil, no bullet drop!, and 1 shot kills in the head makes the sniper weapons the best weapons in the game. As anything else does not kill with 1 hit...

27. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 13:22 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 12:31:
Having enemies respawn as soon as you leave the area was an awful design choice, especially when you have to travel across the map to complete missions. And side-missions were incredibly repetitive. They literally had you doing the exact same thing over and over, only in different locations. Having everyone attack you on sight was an equally stupid design choice, as there was potential for an interesting faction mechanic.
I completely agree. When they showed the guard point at the beginning I assumed there would be a method for travelling through them peacefully (a bribe or holstering your weapon) but was disappointed when I found everybody shoots you on sight. I was also disappointed that there was no method to permanently cure your malaria, which I thought was a poor gameplay mechanic. And after playing games like STALKER: Clear Sky it was disappointing not to have any meaningful friendly AI, just a buddy that appears when you're injured.

Still, I did enjoy the core gameplay.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

26. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 12:31 Jerykk

There were some poor design decisions but that didn't stop the game being incredibly enjoyable. The combat was excellent, the AI better than average (ignoring the terrible vehicle AI), the vehicle handling excellent (just look at RAGE for shitty handling), the engine top notch (excellent performance and visuals), the voice acting great, etc. I can rip apart games like Skyrim as easily as the next person but I prefer to just enjoy games, not look for excuses to hate them.

Nobody is looking for an excuse to hate Far Cry 2. I loved the setting and the premise behind the game but the execution was terrible. Having enemies respawn as soon as you leave the area was an awful design choice, especially when you have to travel across the map to complete missions. And side-missions were incredibly repetitive. They literally had you doing the exact same thing over and over, only in different locations. Having everyone attack you on sight was an equally stupid design choice, as there was potential for an interesting faction mechanic.

25. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 11:59 siapnar

I'm actually playing through FC2 right now, and as much as I'd like to say it's an amazing game, the persistent respawns are really pissing me off.
I constantly go out of my way to avoid checkpoints, or just blow by them in my Jeep, subsequently getting hunted down by kamikaze AI drivers.

The fact that absolutely everyone in the world is desperate to rip out your heart and serve it for dinner - rather than finish a poker game with their fellow Mercs or find some tail - just adds insult to injury.

Still, the game is damn fun... and the things it does right are done perfectly.
Fantastic visuals, too. I find myself stopping to admire the scenery quite often, and this is a game from 2008.

If they can take all the good parts from the first two Far Cry games and jam them in this third one, without too much scripting, then it'll be a hit.

I have projectile dysfunction.

24. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 11:54 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 09:46:
I can agree with some of the other stuff you mentioned but lumping everyone together who didn't love FC2 like you did isn't fair.
I wasn't trying to dismiss all criticism. It's just I see a lot of hate directed towards the game and quite a bit seems unwarranted. The original game had plenty of issues, from the AI to the appalling mutants section, yet people seem to regard it in a positive light; meanwhile, Far Cry 2 did a lot for the genre but people seem to regard it in a negative light. If they'd simply named it differently I think it would have been highly regarded but people were disappointed because of their expectations.

Ratty wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 10:45:
I didn't get Far Cry 2 because a) it wasn't on islands anymore - the whole Africa setting just didn't appeal to me, and b) there were no sci-fi elements in it anymore. It's funny, I know the sci-fi elements are what most people bitch about: "it would have been a great game except for all the mutant shit," but realistic shooters don't appeal to me. Since FC3 is on islands again I'm inclined to get it, even without mutants.
I get the whole "sci-fi" thing and that's one of the reasons I love the Half-Life universe and prefer games like Prey and Metro 2033 to Call Of Duty. But I'd prefer a realistic setting to the mutants in FC. And if FC2 had been set on islands people would have just moaned that it was unoriginal. Personally I like that they were bold with FC2, as no other game has had a setting like it.

As I've said, it seems that they've recognised the criticism of FC2 and FC3 looks to be taking things in a different direction. I hope that they can strike the balance between improving upon FC2 while winning over fans of FC.

23. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 10:45 Ratty

I didn't get Far Cry 2 because a) it wasn't on islands anymore - the whole Africa setting just didn't appeal to me, and b) there were no sci-fi elements in it anymore. It's funny, I know the sci-fi elements are what most people bitch about: "it would have been a great game except for all the mutant shit," but realistic shooters don't appeal to me. Since FC3 is on islands again I'm inclined to get it, even without mutants.

The original Far Cry is in my top 5 favorite games of all time. Some of those maps were just legendary.

22. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 09:46 Verno

I just think people set out to trash games. FC2 was no RAGE or BRINK. People ignore the fact that the original Far Cry had a shit ending with mutants, had unbelievably cheesy dialogue, used poorly spaced checkpoints, had enemies that could shoot through walls... fucking hell, it had a volcano in it! To me Far Cry 2 improved upon the original - better plot, better acting, better scenery, more open gameplay, better AI. The malaria was terrible, the vehicles overused, the vehicle AI was irritating, everyone was an enemy and the respawning was stupid but it was still fun.

I can agree with some of the other stuff you mentioned but lumping everyone together who didn't love FC2 like you did isn't fair. It has literally zero to do with setting out to trash the game, it had very glaring and obvious problems that could severely impact peoples enjoyment of it. It is not difficult to see how it would rub people the wrong way. When people compare it to Rage or Brink they're talking about expectations versus delivery in their context.

Far Cry 2 had some great elements that were offset by some very poor design decisions and as a result it's a very divisive game. I can only hope they learned from their mistakes as Far Cry is one of those franchises always on the cusp of greatness but never quite hitting it.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

21. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 09:42 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 09:16:
I don't know if you'd find many peole who would agree with that. I'd say it could have been an enjoyable game but the flaws were so glaring that they largely squandered the games potential. It's not about finding excuses to rip things up, sometimes things are just bad/annoying enough to ruin an otherwise good experience. Far Cry 2 had a lot of promise but they made some really clueless design decisions that fucked it up and on top of that did their best to lock out modders with encrypted files and custom packing formats.
I just look at the genre and find very few compelling alternatives. RAGE was a clusterfuck with very few redeeming qualities. BRINK was a great concept but a disaster of a game. Crysis 2 did a lot right but was a bit samey. STALKER has its moments but the games had terrible engines and plenty of glitches, as well as a poorly delivered and incoherent plot - yet I still enjoyed them. Metro 2033 was fun but obviously incredibly linear. FEAR2/3 were enjoyable but deeply average.

FC2 had its problems but I just don't see many better games in the genre - it had incredible graphics, unique settings, diverse gameplay, compelling AI, well implemented vehicles, day/night and weather cycles, etc. HL2 was years ago now. Call Of Duty games are incredibly short spamfests that are highly scripted. And everything else is multiplayer (Battlefield 3, Team Fortress 2).

I just think people set out to trash games. FC2 was no RAGE or BRINK. People ignore the fact that the original Far Cry had a shit ending with mutants, had unbelievably cheesy dialogue, used poorly spaced checkpoints, had enemies that could shoot through walls... fucking hell, it had a volcano in it! To me Far Cry 2 improved upon the original - better plot, better acting, better scenery, more open gameplay, better AI. The malaria was terrible, the vehicles overused, the vehicle AI was irritating, everyone was an enemy and the respawning was stupid but it was still fun.

20. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 09:16 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 01:11:
Please stop using dubstep in trailers or advertisements. It's terrible.

As for FC3, the E3 demo looked pretty cool, though some of the things seemed a bit too scripted. There was one part where the player jumped off a rock, grabbed a guy from behind, slit his throat, then threw his knife at another guy, hitting him in the head. As far as I can tell, this was all accomplished with a single button press.

Yeah, pretty much anything you see in preview media that a developer claims as some proof of advanced AI is entirely scripted.

There were some poor design decisions but that didn't stop the game being incredibly enjoyable. The combat was excellent, the AI better than average (ignoring the terrible vehicle AI), the vehicle handling excellent (just look at RAGE for shitty handling), the engine top notch (excellent performance and visuals), the voice acting great, etc. I can rip apart games like Skyrim as easily as the next person but I prefer to just enjoy games, not look for excuses to hate them.

I don't know if you'd find many peole who would agree with that. I'd say it could have been an enjoyable game but the flaws were so glaring that they largely squandered the games potential. It's not about finding excuses to rip things up, sometimes things are just bad/annoying enough to ruin an otherwise good experience. Far Cry 2 had a lot of promise but they made some really clueless design decisions that fucked it up and on top of that did their best to lock out modders with encrypted files and custom packing formats.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

19. CGI crap.... as always Feb 16, 2012, 09:16 Shataan

If this game ain`t anything like Farcry 1, then it is a no buy for me. FarCry 2 sucked pure azz!!!!! A waste of money for sure. FarCry 1 was for the most part pretty amazing. They should go back to that recipe.  

18. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 09:15 theyarecomingforyou

Wildone wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 21:13:
Looks like a reboot for teenagers, completely yuck.
Did you even play the original Far Cry? It was as cheesy as they come, yet somehow you're trying to use that as a put down. The E3 trailer makes it perfectly clear that the game is a lot more serious than the original, a lot more character driven.

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 00:26:
After the last one, I'm staying far away from this until and unless it proves itself worthy. I have no confidence in their ability to create a good game. FC2 could have been a good game. It had a lot of the right qualities and felt right in a lot of ways. They just made so many incomprehensible design decisions about how the game would play. It was ridiculous

I'm looking forward to Far Cry 3. It looks to be a lot more character driven and the gameplay is meant to be more focused, which means less driving backwards and forwards and more substance. This is one of the games I'm most looking forward to, along with Borderlands 2. That said, I don't care much for CGI trailers - I'd rather see a gameplay trailer any day.

17. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 06:17 everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J6gnOVJsCsM  

16. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 05:22 Rilcon

I was going to bitch about people bitching, but then I tried to watch the trailer and was prompted to log into a facebook account I don't and never will have.

So, fuck this game.

15. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 05:06 wonkawonka

I killed my FB account a long time ago so I can't see the trailer. Are there any zombies in it?
They screwed up even the first one by adding the damn zombies in the end. It was awesome until that part. I didn't bother with #2
NO ZOMBIES!

14. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 04:40 Fantaz

awesome trailer, wow... i can't believe how awesome... good thing i pre-ordered this on sale.  

13. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 04:08 InBlack

Does Crytek have anything to do with this game at all??  

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 16, 2012, 02:41 Sepharo

Far Cry 2 was the paragliding diamond hunter game right?  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo