Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today would have been my dad's birthday, and I so wish he was still here so I could call him and express my love. If your dad (or mom, for that matter) is still around, perhaps you can take inspiration from this and call yours today to express yours. I feel better already.

Birthday Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Link: Radio Controlled Scale Tractors and TrucksExcavation. Thanks Neatorama.
Engrish Funny.
Media: Tiny Tower Residents Can't Leave.
Grizzly Bear gets in back of Canadian stoner's pick-up truck. NSFW.
The Funnies: Dilbert.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Speaking of death. Feb 17, 2012, 17:35 Ant

I just found out that one (Ken aka Grungy/Neil) of my BBS (Jungle II) friends passed away last month. He was diagnosed with a kidney cancer. His treatments were mostly working, but the cancer still won. I played him a lot online with C&C, MajorMUD BBS, Dune 2000/2K, ActionQuake 2, etc.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2012, 02:45 Prez

bfg9000 wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 20:14:
Cutter wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 14:11:
Holy shitsnacks! Just finished cleaning my bathroom top to bottom and recaulking the shower. Wow, what a chore. And I also never realized how hard it is to keep a firm grip on your caulk in the shower.
really? no one is going to touch this?

Not even with a glove on.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 20:25 nin

Sepharo wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 20:20:
An update video from Tim Schaefer detailing what the extra funding is going to go towards.

Sounds like we're off to a great start. Very pleased it's done as well as it has.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 20:20 Sepharo

An update video from Tim Schaefer detailing what the extra funding is going to go towards.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 20:14 bfg9000

Cutter wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 14:11:
Holy shitsnacks! Just finished cleaning my bathroom top to bottom and recaulking the shower. Wow, what a chore. And I also never realized how hard it is to keep a firm grip on your caulk in the shower.
really? no one is going to touch this?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 19:18 space captain

hmm, ive had plenty of painful life experiences as well... maybe i should leverage it into some moral instruction for the common man

after all, i am a paragon of righteousness and rectitude, and everyone else would clearly benefit from my esteemed knowledge

i am awesome

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 19:13 Dmitri_M

Sympathies to those that have lost their parents..

I'm trying to move closer to mine now that they're getting on in years, but there's no work where they live so I'm stuck working in another hemisphere on a different continent. My father recently separated from my mother and although I've seen them twice since neither are acknowledging it around me.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 18:16 Efflixi

My mom is almost estranged from us. She still loves us but she has chosen to live many states away. My dad is gone. He committed suicide in 2010. There's a long long personal story involved with all of that and there's no need to go into it here but i had forgiven my dad of all his wrongdoings so when i learned he was gone my only regret was that i couldn't tell him personally that i had forgiven him. He didn't give me that chance.

If you are on good terms with your parents, let them know you love them!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 18:09 xXBatmanXx

My wife and I are at the age where we have been to 6 funerals in the last 13 months, it is a painful reminder about how much we let things go without expressing our feelings.....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 16:16 Creston

Even more, if your parents live anywhere near you, make sure to visit them from time to time.

Mine live 6000 miles away, and I get to see them once every two years or so.

Creston

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 15:04 Prez

Cutter wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 11:47:
Well, not everyone's mum or dad is cool. A lot of them are actually pricks and the last people on earth you'd want to speak to. My sire being one of them. If he dropped dead tomorrow I'd say good riddance to bad rubbish.

My parents aren't quite that bad but my relationship with them ranges from shitty to non-existent, and they absolutely awful parents, cold and distant, so calling them isn't going to happen. Just be glad you had such a good dad for the years you did, Blue. Happy Birthday Blue Senior!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 14:47 MxxCon

Damm you Blue! You feel better, but now I feel bad. Cry  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 14:11 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 12:49 space captain

Cutter wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 11:47:
Well, not everyone's mum or dad is cool. A lot of them are actually pricks and the last people on earth you'd want to speak to. My sire being one of them. If he dropped dead tomorrow I'd say good riddance to bad rubbish.

yeh but most people dont want to hear this, they cant relate, and they dont have the compassion required to step outside their own shoes and make the attempt

so get ready for some bitching and moaning on this

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 11:47 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 11:05 nin

Wasn't going to cross this bridge until father's day, but since you brought it up...

Lost my father the second week in December. He would have been 70 last month. We weren't overly close (we'd talk or see each other a few times a year), but in hindsight there's still a lot of things I wish I could talk to him about.

I know this sounds really stupid, but even though I've been to my share of funerals, somehow my parents always seemed invincible. They're been with you from the beginning of your life, as far back as you can remember. And even though we should have talked more, I always knew he was just a phone call away. And to suddenly not have that net of security seems really scary now, like the world changed overnight. It reminds me of my own mortality, and how time stops for no one.

So yeah, pick up the phone. You'll be glad you did later. My father and I both should have done it more.

edit: Obviously my thoughts go out to you as well, Blue.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2012, 10:59 InBlack

I just wanted to say the RC choppers are fucking COOL. Im talking about the helicopter kind, not the Harley-Davidson kind.

I have a nifty blue line!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo