Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale

Tripwire Interactive announces that Killing Floor has sold more than 1 million copies on the PC, celebrating the milestone with a sale on Steam where the action game and all its DLC can be had at an 85% discount. They also offer some sales stats for the game:

• 1.1 MILLION copies of Killing Floor sold on PC in 2 and a half years
  • Nearly 2 million Killing Floor DLC packs sold
  • 45 MILLION hours of Killing Floor played to date
  • 440 MILLION Zeds have been dispatched in Achievements alone - including more than a quarter-million Christmas Santa
  • Zeds are being killed by you at the rate of over 20,000 an hour!
  • Hundreds of custom maps have been created by the community

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 19:46 Prez

Verno wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 15:27:
We should play sometime Prez, I can never get my friends to play KF. They are die hard L4Ders. Hit me on Steam sometime if you're bored.

All right! Fair warning though, I'm pretty bad.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 16:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

Killing Floor has excellent shooting mechanics, pretty fun gameplay, however the nature of scoring/grinding does not encourage teamplay at higher levels in my opinion. Even when everybody in the game is level 6, you will see people trying to shoot specials who they should NOT be touching, wasting ammo on garbage mobs, etc. That plus all of my friends who played this game abandoning it to other games has made me shelf Killing Floor for the past few months.

All that said, I have like 70-80 hours in Killing Floor easily, and hopefully this milestone encourages the Tripwire guys to make Killing Floor 2, I enjoyed KF a lot more than any of their Red Orchestra games. I can only tolerate so much WW2 and 'realism' before it just becomes a drag.

24. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 15:27 Verno

We should play sometime Prez, I can never get my friends to play KF. They are die hard L4Ders. Hit me on Steam sometime if you're bored.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

23. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 15:15 Prez

Krovven wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 11:38:
They are FPS, coop, zombie shooters.

And the similarities end there. When I play KF, it doesn't even remotely remind me of L4D. In fact l, once I play L4D to the point of being sick of it, I can easily slip into KF immediately after and not experience the least bit of ennui. There's much to distinguish the two in my view to avoid direct comparison.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 12:07 Verno

Don't worry, you amuse too cupcake Smitten

I'm sure if I said L4D was better than Dead Island I'd get the same comments because they're two different games. KF is an arena style FPS game that features zombies and co-op but that's really where similarities between it and L4D end. They have different styles of play, pacing and feel. L4D is a more high production budget effort with an actual story campaign, some traditional multiplayer modes/styles and so on.

Anyway they're both good games for what they are IMO. I played L4D more because my friends were really into it, KF has a lot smaller community because of its smaller gameplay focus and production values. If you want to say one is better because you got more out of your money from it then fair enough but when you just say "X was better" then others don't really have the full context.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2012, 12:44.

21. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 11:38 Krovven

You guys crack me up. They are FPS, coop, zombie shooters. L4D is better (for me) for one simple reason, Versus, it's what made L4D shine and stand out from every other coop shooter. Running from point A to B with no real purpose than to survive each wave and get to the vendor, gets old very fast.

20. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 10:31 Verno

Krovven wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 23:52:
Left 4 Dead is better.

Totally different games outside of setting really. KF has a much more visceral feel to the combat and the "specials" are actually a bit scary. L4D is more like playing a videogame version of Shaun of the Dead where sure the apocalypse is happening but no one is really taking it seriously. I appreciate both approaches although I found L4D to be more polished overall.

I hope they don't fuck up the inevitable sequel like RO2.

19. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 10:10 Prez

Krovven wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 23:52:
Left 4 Dead is better.

It's hard to do a direct comparison even though they are similar on the surface. Very different games really. As far as production values go, L4D soundly beats KF, but that's to be expected given that Valve bankrolled it. KF started as a mod and it shows, but it has some very addicting and satisfying gameplay.

- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 09:43 Tavil

Love this game. WAY more fun than L4D for me. Glad its getting so much attention.  

17. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 06:40 ASeven

InBlack wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 03:18:
ASeven wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 21:36:
Prefer this to L4Ds. Great game.

Really??? Does it feature a versus mode as well or just coop?

Just coop but without many of the restrictions of L4D's coop.

16. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 06:11 Nighthawk

I like the idea, but for a 2010 release, I expected a bit more, it's like a cross of L4D and MW zombies, it's not as polished as it could be, and in desperate need of a model upgrade, uninstalled without prejudice  

15. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 03:18 InBlack

ASeven wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 21:36:
Prefer this to L4Ds. Great game.

Really??? Does it feature a versus mode as well or just coop?

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 00:33 Jivaro

Best shooter that most shooter fans have never heard of, imho. It is like the Torchlight of shooters. I know 1 million sales indicates some public awareness, but honestly....I have yet meet someone in my friends and family that has heard of it before I point them to it. Maybe they recognize the name from Steam, but not much else. Every single person I have recommended it to has liked it though. Some prefer the L4D games, but everyone has liked it. Its grittier then L4D and harder then CoD #1001 or its clones. In this day and age of one button easy mode games that require little more then an ability to move a crosshair around the screen, its a seriously welcome change.

Can't wait for the inevitable sequel.

13. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 00:24 WarpCrow

It depends on how extreme it is. For a game like Killing Floor, the uncut version is not permitted to be advertised or sold openly on store shelves within reach of kids, but it can still be sold. Offering a censored version here is a bit like how companies will often tone down a game to avoid being given an AO rating in the states for fear that retail outlets like Wal-mart will refuse to carry it. It's pretty rare for a game to actually be banned, though. Of course, there are always busybodies trying to put through legislation to make things even more strict but they always fail, and censorship isn't as strict as it was 10 or 20 years ago.

Steam could even sell the uncut versions of many games they now sell censored if they wanted to, but they would need to truly verify that the customer is 18+. Many online stores in Germany do this, but Valve has not yet opted to do so.

12. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 00:11 Teddy

WarpCrow wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 23:44:
Eh... I probably would have bought it before now except for the fact that Tripwire saw fit to censor it here in Germany. I got around that for RO2 but it's a bit of a hassle every time.

Saw fit to? Isn't that an obligation under law there? I was under the impression that the regulations in Germany were more strict than most other places in the world and thus game companies MUST provide a censored version, or not sell at all there.

11. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 14, 2012, 23:52 Krovven

Left 4 Dead is better.

10. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 14, 2012, 23:44 WarpCrow

Eh... I probably would have bought it before now except for the fact that Tripwire saw fit to censor it here in Germany. I got around that for RO2 but it's a bit of a hassle every time.  

9. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 14, 2012, 22:36 DangerDog

Played it during a free trial weekend, it just didn't have the polish of a commercial game. It was also a bit too British for my taste, the poor quality voice acting didn't help.

It might have seen some improvements since I played it though.

8. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 14, 2012, 22:33 Overon

Give me Killing Floor 2! No doubt it's coming.  

7. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 14, 2012, 22:24 PHJF

It's very rough. It looks, sounds and feels like a ten-year-old game. Some of the enemies have to be kited for quite a while because they are stupidly impervious to damage.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo