Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access

The Mass Effect Website now offers the promised early access to the playable demo for Mass Effect 3, BioWare's upcoming action/RPG sequel. Here's word:

The demo for 2012's most anticipated game is here! Experience two spectacular levels from the single-player campaign, along with intense four player co-op multiplayer matches. The multiplayer section of the Mass Effect 3 demo will feature an early access period running from February 14 to February 17.

Early multiplayer access has been granted to players who have activated their Battlefield 3 online pass. Visit this page and log in with your EA Origin account (this is the same as your BioWare Social account) to see if you currently have early access.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 17, 2012, 06:33 Quinn

Knowing that the entertainment and good experience of Mass Effect is mostly due to its story-telling and dialogue, it will not be fair to judge this game by its demo just yet.

However it must be said that I am disappointed by the demo. The player seems to be even more detached from Shepard than in the earlier games. I experienced him expressing an attitude I did not condone, which was only mildly the case in the earlier games, caused mostly, I think, because there was hardly a moment the player was allowed to make a choice in conversations.

Like mentioned earlier, the narrow FOV seemed more obvious as well, but maybe this was because Shepard is in a constant "combat state" during the entire demo. I remember the FOV being much more comfortable outside said state.

So yes, mildly disappointed but still looking forward to this game with childish anticipation.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2012, 13:04.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 17:10 nin

CrushBug wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 16:40:
nin wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 09:30:
Sadly, I doubt we'll ever get a reply to that. And even if we did, it would be a EA marketing approved comment.
Apply for a job, get hired, and I will tell you all about it.

I don't think we'd be a very good match.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

60. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 16:40  CrushBug 

nin wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 09:30:
Sadly, I doubt we'll ever get a reply to that. And even if we did, it would be a EA marketing approved comment.
Apply for a job, get hired, and I will tell you all about it.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

59. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 12:37 Verno

That's really out of line and immature. If you don't like the discussion then close your browser tab or steer it in the direction you want by posting something on topic and non-offensive. If the majority of people want to talk about Origin and Steam then you'll just have to be an adult and deal with it.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2012, 13:06.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

58. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 12:00 Eldaron Imotholin

Fuuuuuuuuuuck me!

Steam, Origin, all the same fucking crap.

Buy the games you like, overwrite them with a crack provided by our lovely hackers and enjoy the games free of said fucking crap.

I get on here to read about some actual feedback about the game and all that I find is a bunch of probably extraordinarily ugly retards complaining about software Y that is just as crap as software X except that they have to get used to change a little.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

57. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 09:30 nin

Bioware, why did you ever get tangled up with godawful EA?

56. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 03:54  CrushBug 

Wraith wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 01:21:
Windows 7 64-bit on a 680iLT motherboard. I'm not running the Nvidia Nforce drivers at all - they're legendary for issues.
OK, thanks, I will pass that on to the guys that are trying to track down this issue. There are a number of people having this problem and we are hoping to get it resolved before the full game goes live.
What's particularly galling is that I get the "Press Shift F1 for Origin" message and I can even bring up the Origin overlay in the game.
Yeah, the in-game overlay is a separate part that doesn't have any other dependencies.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

55. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 03:18 Wraith

Prez wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 02:39:
Bioware, why did you ever get tangled up with godawful EA? Dragon Age 2 was the biggest disappointment of 2011 and now Mass Effect is not only only NOT going to be on Steam, the biggest digital games service by a mile, but it is now saddled with Origin, which is utterly abysmal.

EA is absolutely murdering your games and your reputation with it. All of the doomsayers were right.
Believe me dude, they do not give a shit. PC gamers are vanishingly small next to the legions of console weenies eager to call each other 'fags' on X-Box Live. PC ports are a sop to try and squeeze an extra few million out of a franchise, nothing more. The entire PC market could disappear overnight and they couldn't care less.

Of course, they'll give a shit once the next console generation hits and their numbers drop. Until then, PC ports are a marketing bullet point.

54. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 02:39 Prez

Bioware, why did you ever get tangled up with godawful EA? Dragon Age 2 was the biggest disappointment of 2011 and now Mass Effect is not only only NOT going to be on Steam, the biggest digital games service by a mile, but it is now saddled with Origin, which is utterly abysmal.

EA is absolutely murdering your games and your reputation with it. All of the doomsayers were right.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2012, 03:05.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

53. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 01:21 Wraith

CrushBug wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 16:00:
Hey, if you could, can you post what OS you are running and what motherboard chipset you are using? We have a few instances where an nForce software firewall is interfering with ME3 and Origin communicating with each other, even though Origin is still running. I am not saying this is exclusively a firewall problem, but it has been one that we have seen and been able to fix for some users.
Windows 7 64-bit on a 680iLT motherboard. I'm not running the Nvidia Nforce drivers at all - they're legendary for issues.

What's particularly galling is that I get the "Press Shift F1 for Origin" message and I can even bring up the Origin overlay in the game.

52. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 01:17 Jerykk

So yeah, obviously the sheeple are all just blinded by brand indoctrination... or maybe we are just glad at least 1 studio does a sci-fi rpg with good characters and (more or less) decent combat. The only sci-fi rpg, at that.

Fallout is a sci-fi RPG.

Fallout remake 1/2 is just cloning a story and thus is afraid of ever really telling anything of importance.

While I'd agree that Fallout 3's story is remarkably similar to Fallout 2's, Fallout: New Vegas' story was unique. For the first time in the series, it didn't revolve around Super Mutants, The Brotherhood of Steel or the Enclave. Also for the first time in the series, you could choose which major faction to align yourself with (if any) and what end goals to pursue. That's not just unique to the series... it's unique to RPGs in general.

51. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 16:00  CrushBug 

Wraith wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 23:59:
Oh for fuck's sake, not again.

"Origin(EA) is no longer running. Mass Effect 3 will now close".

Yes it is you piece of shit. Another EA clusterfuck.

Here's a clue, you useless fucks. When you put in a DRM solution, make sure it fucking works. This useless piece of shit broke Need for Speed and now Mass Effect 3 is broken.

Time to cancel the Collector's Edition preorder. I'm not buying a piece of crap which won't connect because EA employs programmers who are literally too stupid to cope with TCP/IP.
Hey, if you could, can you post what OS you are running and what motherboard chipset you are using? We have a few instances where an nForce software firewall is interfering with ME3 and Origin communicating with each other, even though Origin is still running. I am not saying this is exclusively a firewall problem, but it has been one that we have seen and been able to fix for some users.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

50. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 13:38 Eldaron Imotholin

Quick comment. Didn't read the others yet.

1: Why is everything about Earth? Sounds like Cerberus..

2: Is it me, or is there something... off... with the sound? Too little music? Environment / Vocal volume off-balance?

Played it too shortly to figure it out but... something is off.

Edit/Add: (had to get out of the house.. continueing now)

3: Is the FOV in this one worse than in the first and second, or is it.. again.. just me?

4: Voice-acting. Again I noticed something off with that too. Less convincing? And Wrex' voice-acting was just bad at some point.

Not sure what pill I took before playing the demo...

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2012, 14:01.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

49. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 10:37 Verno

You are...really sperging out here man, less coffee or whatever

I'm enough of a ME fanboy myself to buy the third... without Origin. No amount of fanboyism is going to make me sign up for another gaming platform (an incredibly limited and half-assed one run by one of the most anti-PC companies this side of Microsoft Game Division no less). Steam is all I want, need, and am willing to put up with. Lose the Origin requirement or no sale.

Agreed but unfortunately if its anything like KoA then retail copies will likely need to activate via Origin.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

48. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 10:33 InBlack

If Mass Effect 3 was Star Trek, I would buy it no questions asked. However its not Star Trek AND it has Origin. Its a horribly blatant rippoff. All the races are there in a different guise but they are easily recognized by any Trek fan. The Federation is there. Even the super secret Section27 is there.

Its a shame really as they arent bad games. I did buy Mass Effect 2 on a sale and finished it once, but that was before somebody came up with Origin.

I dont know. I think Ill have to go with nin on this one. Fuck you Bioware/EA.

I have a nifty blue line!

47. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 09:47 eRe4s3r

How do you think a call for help would sound if you'd go to a core of diplomats and say

"Yo dudes, i am the only one who has seen the reaper vision so please believe me we'll be attacked, i don't know when and how many but we are gonna be attacked.. so please send some ships, also I just lost my military commission and spectre status for destroying an entire Batarian system.. and yeah.. i also destroyed a mass relay, one of the greatest crimes in the galaxy"

Yeah.. you can already see how that is a great way not to set your game story up....

Also reapers are not in the business of pointlessly wiping out anything, it was already established humans are gonna be the "harvester" follow up race - so they are literally harvesting and converting, and not annihilating out-right (the end result will the same, but the methods are vastly different). Which makes this story pretty damn impressive as a setup and "urgent - no bullshitting this time" kind of set-up.

Reapers were never about annihilation, they were always about indoctrination. But as a side note, they singled out humans because of the previous story.. so earth literally has to be under attack for anyone else in the galaxy to even care.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2012, 10:01.

46. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 09:42 nin

How about you go into offline mode, and play it that way.

How about we just tell EA/Bioware to fuck off? I think that makes a lot more sense.

45. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 09:37 eRe4s3r

The market is sci-fi

And if you don't even see that, one wonders what you do on a gaming site. Given that this is one of the most demanded genres for nearly a decade now, thanks to complete over saturation of generic brown in grey fantasy rpgs with orcs and dragons and ww2/modern warfare bullshit shooters. And a complete under-saturation of games when it comes to hard sci-fi.

So yeah, obviously the sheeple are all just blinded by brand indoctrination... or maybe we are just glad at least 1 studio does a sci-fi rpg with good characters and (more or less) decent combat. The only sci-fi rpg, at that.

Also sci-fi is not a new market, so that statement is even more absurd. Sci fi is simply in demand right now and has not been catered to properly in recent times by anyone besides by Bioware and EA (with Mass Effect and Dead Space).

For some people, it makes a huge difference whether a game is fantasy or sci-fi. Most people I know, have read better short stories than what passes as a story in fantasy games (Skyrim isn't exactly blessed with good writing either), Oblivion had nearly no Story at all. Fallout remake 1/2 is just cloning a story and thus is afraid of ever really telling anything of importance.

Mass Effect on the other hand has huge back-story on every detail with sub-plots going on nearly everywhere you look. Even as far as politics and racism, things fantasy games haven't got the balls to even mention nowadays. Besides The Witcher series.

So yeah.. obviously mass effect is a shallow shooter to you, which may be why you are confused, nobody who loves Mass effect plays it for the shooting sections....

44. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 09:22 eRe4s3r

Same here, one of the most epic starts of a game so far

Also one thing that gets huge bonus points, if you dabble too long in the 2nd part new cerb troops come in and your squad comments on your tardiness....

And the new upgrade system for skills is great

So basically, whatever the naysayers say, this is gonna be a hell of a game come 9th March (EU release ~.~) my 3 diverse saves are already ready ;p Bring it on!

43. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 08:22 Prez

meezookeewee wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 01:40:
Personally, I got a kick out of it, but then again, I'm a Mass Effect fanboy. I love the universe, the characters, the whole bit. Mass Effect 3 may be the last game I get from BioWare, however. I don't particularly agree with some of the design decisions that they've made.

I'm enough of a ME fanboy myself to buy the third... without Origin. No amount of fanboyism is going to make me sign up for another gaming platform (an incredibly limited and half-assed one run by one of the most anti-PC companies this side of Microsoft Game Division no less). Steam is all I want, need, and am willing to put up with. Lose the Origin requirement or no sale.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo