Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2012, 11:25 Fletch

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 19, 2012, 02:49:
Bandwidth is practically free unless you have a pretty onerous bandwidth cap, and you can download overnight or whenever you're not using your system. This really makes no sense.

Why is this so difficult to understand? The texture pack makes no appreciable difference to the game. It's great they released it. They didn't have to. However, it's not worth downloading to me. It's not worth ANY effort or time. Maybe if I had said it wasn't worth a plate of cold piss... would you then argue that everyone has a cheap bucket or bowl laying around that could easily hold a plate of piss? Your objection really makes no sense.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 19, 2012, 02:49 Wowbagger_TIP

Fletch wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 02:40:
PHJF wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 20:15:
Because hard disk space is so precious, amiright?

No, the bandwith and time to download 3GB weren't worth it.

Bandwidth is practically free unless you have a pretty onerous bandwidth cap, and you can download overnight or whenever you're not using your system. This really makes no sense.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 02:40 Fletch

No, the bandwith and time to download 3GB weren't worth it.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 15, 2012, 14:35 DG

With it saved to an SSD, or with bandwidth caps, maybe

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 15, 2012, 03:58 Luke

It does seem to have been thrown out rather slap-dash though, and worse, it doesn't load like a regular mod so modders are going to have to work around it rather than rely on the simple load-order.

Yea just like the rest of the game , to call this DO IT YOUR SELF game , game of the year tells alot how bad the pc gaming has become Clown `s

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 20:27 Prez

I had a hard time noticing differences in several of the side-by-sides, but that could be because I watched the video on a 7" tablet  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 20:15 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 16:47 Fletch

Not worth the 3Gb.  

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 13:31 Kastagir

avianflu wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 13:07:
not many seem to know this but if you want the absolute crispest textures when using high res textures:

in your driver -- you should turn anisotropic completely off (no texture filtering) and also choose highest quality textures.

nvidia mentions this in their skyrim config FAQ.

makes a big difference for anything within 3-ish feet of your skyrim character.

You seem to have that backwards. You turn off AF in the Skyrim Launcher and enable it in the Nvidia driver control panel.
http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 13:27 jimnms

They need to patch the texture pack. There is already an unofficial fix at the nexus. There are some files that are misspelled, which causes the texture to not load or leave the object without a texture. I first noticed this because I was in Riften when I installed it, and a tree stump in the town turned blue. I also got a horrible stutter when looking in certain directions, which only happened with the texture pack enabled. After installing the unofficial fix, the stutter went away.  

Steam Profile

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 13:09 DG

The textures only replace certain things. The video kept showing things which hadn't been replaced - the same things several times. There's also the loss in the video encoding. They didn't show any welded weapons, which are often the biggest improvement, and didn't show much up really close.

They also didn't show the camp fires with their pink logs because Beth messed up the pack. Apparently they also messed up the pack in other ways, like there are some HD textures which are put in the wrong directories so aren't loaded, and even some cases where they've provided low res textures replacing higher res ones. And there's some redundant files in there too.

Detailed analysis and ways to fix it yourself at http://tinyurl.com/6uwqfyu

The pack is nice, but not a must-have so don't be disheartened if your card can't run it (I gather the main thing is video memory), especially since usually there's a mix of resolutions on display which some may find looks worse than all being the lower res. It does seem to have been thrown out rather slap-dash though, and worse, it doesn't load like a regular mod so modders are going to have to work around it rather than rely on the simple load-order.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2012, 13:17.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 13:07 avianflu

not many seem to know this but if you want the absolute crispest textures when using high res textures:

in your driver -- you should turn anisotropic completely off (no texture filtering) and also choose highest quality textures.

nvidia mentions this in their skyrim config FAQ.

makes a big difference for anything within 3-ish feet of your skyrim character.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 12:50 Pigeon

Granted my current screen is running at 720p, but the most glaring difference I noticed was in the wood grain. Rocks and other objects were more difficult to discern.  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 12:08 Silicon Avatar

PC gamers should probably just come to the conclusion that their gaming PCs are going to last however long the next console system lasts. It's not all bad if you think about the money you'll save on upgrades.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8236#content

People are saying you need that for some reason so it might be worth checking out.

I couldn't tell that much difference in the video, but some things did look better. It was free so I'm not complaining.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 12:03 Verno

There are some very dramatic differences but it's hard to pick them all out when the game features so many. For something that costs nothing even a subtle improvement is worthwhile and this features that and then some.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 11:54 Cutter

Yeah, there's only so much you can do with a game designed for 6 year old consoles. I think people were expecting really dramatic differences. What a shame, because this would have been a visually gorgeous game otherwise.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 11:34 Bhruic

There's definitely some minor differences, but they are also definitely minor. They are apparent enough that if you stare at them you can notice them, but honestly, how many people actually stop and stare at textures in-game? They are so minor that unless you make a habit of walking right up to walls and looking at them close range, you won't actually notice them while playing.

I appreciate that Bethesda went through the effort, but I'm not sure it was really worth it.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 10:44 eRe4s3r

This game doesn't need better textures, it needs better models. Everything is edgy and has to few polygons in the places where it matters. Thanks to the retarded standard of modeling high-poly and then cramping it all in a normal map. But a normal map does not replace high polygon counts around (round or otherwise important) edges.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 10:19 nin

1080P/full screen it, and look at the detail. It's there.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 10:19 wtf_man

Yeah... the only difference is up close objects. Which is fine... but hardly worth it to me... especially since I have an old video card and I'm not running even ultra settings yet (or whatever it is above high).

When I get a new video card... I'll download this... get all my mods working... and start the game over with a new character.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo