Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Downtime [Updated]

Steam Downtime Announcements has word on Steam downtime (thanks Shok). Word is: "Our data center's uninterruptible power supplies experienced a power failure. The power is back on now and we're working to get service restored as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused." This is followed by: "We have made significant progress restoring availability, and service should return to normal soon. Update: The latest post on this indicates things are mostly fixed:

We are up and running at a normal user load. There are a couple of lingering issues which we will continue to work on until they are sorted.

Thank you for your patience during this time!

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 14, 2012, 07:08 Dades

Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 05:53:
DedEye wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 19:44:
Thanks Creston =)

I switched her over to NMM.

It's a good idea for mod newbies (my wife watched me setup NMM for her and was like "I don't have to do that every time do I?!?!" lol), but ya needs some work.

NMM?

Nexus Mod Manager.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 14, 2012, 05:53 Dev

DedEye wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 19:44:
Thanks Creston =)

It's a good idea for mod newbies (my wife watched me setup NMM for her and was like "I don't have to do that every time do I?!?!" lol), but ya needs some work.

NMM?

56. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 19:44 DedEye

Thanks Creston =)

55. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 18:28 Prez

Overon wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 16:23:
The fat prejudice rears it's ugly head once again:

Of course fat people are all lazy because if they weren't lazy they wouldn't be fat now would they?

You guys are reading a lot into a simple troll. Mission accomplished for Zanthar

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

54. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 17:25 frag.machine

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 22:21:
Something is odd about this. How can a major datacenter have a critical failure like this when the major part of what they do is to ensure consistent uptime?

Obviously Gabe, running to attend the pizza guy at the door, accidentally kicked the AC cord in the single stabilizer that powers the 4 Pentium II boxes running Steam. You know, s* happens.

53. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 16:35 Sepharo

Can't we go back to pre 1950 when being fat meant you were rich.  

52. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 16:23 Overon

The fat prejudice rears it's ugly head once again:

Of course fat people are all lazy because if they weren't lazy they wouldn't be fat now would they?

51. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 15:53 Dev

Here in california a protected disability includes fat AND lazy people.

The definition goes something like "a disability is something that makes it difficult to achieve a major life activity such as work."

IMHO, both those fit. I'm talking in general, not any specific person.

IANAL

50. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 15:32 PHJF

Well fat means lazy, and only lazy people are unemployed (right?).  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

49. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 13:23 Krovven

Zanthar wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 12:43:
My bad, I didn't mean to offend all the fat, unemployed, people that frequent blue's news

Back to your twinkies with you!

Since when does fat = unemployed?

Who cares if they are fat when they are clearly more intelligent than you.

48. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 12:48 Prez

My bad, I didn't mean to offend all the fat, unemployed, people that frequent blue's news

Popcorn Omnomnomnom. Did someone say TWINKIES?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

47. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 12:45 Verno

You have a fathead so it all works out Dunthar Dunce

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

46. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 12:43 Zanthar

45. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 12:21 Prez

justice7 wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 11:14:
Zanthar wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 07:44:
Fat ass Gabe removed the batteries from some of the UPS units to hide his cache of snacks.

On behalf of Gabe (if i could speak on his behalf, that is), you're an asshole.

Maybe, but he's a funny asshole! I'm probably not too far behind Gabe mmyself lately. Damn wife always baking...

- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 11:14 justice7

Fat ass Gabe removed the batteries from some of the UPS units to hide his cache of snacks.

On behalf of Gabe (if i could speak on his behalf, that is), you're an asshole.

43. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 09:55 nin

DedEye wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 08:36:
I don't know too much about steam's cloud or the mods workshop (I use nexus mod manager or JSGME) so I have a question I'm hoping you folks can help me out with.

My wife was checking out some of the skyrim mods available through steam and when it went down yesterday none of her mods would work.

Does steam have to be up to have access to the mods or is this a cloud setting?

The problem yesterday was, when the launcher would try and check the mods on the server for newer versions, they weren't there (for a few hours).

It was suggested the "fix" was to stay in offline mode, but for people like myself that weren't aware there was an issue until too late, we got hozed for a bit. thankfully it straightened itself out last night, and I only had to track down 1-2 of my old mods.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

42. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 09:08 Creston

DedEye wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 08:36:
I don't know too much about steam's cloud or the mods workshop (I use nexus mod manager or JSGME) so I have a question I'm hoping you folks can help me out with.

My wife was checking out some of the skyrim mods available through steam and when it went down yesterday none of her mods would work.

It seems like Steam has to be actively up and running for those mods to work, yeah. At the very least, it checks for newer versions on startup (of Skyrim.)

It's a pisspoor implementation, quite frankly. I'm glad the CK was delayed for three months so we could get this BSA-Mandatory craphouse along with it.

Creston

41. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 08:55 Minuit

ViRGE wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 23:57:
If the UPS fails, nothing gets power. The UPS is fed by multiple sources, but that UPS is going to be the only source of power for the devices connected to it.

That's why datacentre equipment usually has two plugs. One is for the UPS and the other is for either unconditioned power or a second UPS.

It doesn't do you any good at all if someone thoughtfully plugs the first UPS into the second one, or puts all of the servers on one UPS and all the switches on the second, but as long as someone does their job right this can keep a UPS fault from taking down your entire environment.

The solution to single points of failure is to make them redundant, not to add more of them.

40. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 08:36 DedEye

39. Re: Steam Downtime [Updated] Feb 13, 2012, 08:24 Dades

You probably weigh more than Gabe does these days.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo