Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Game Reviews Feb 13, 2012, 16:49 FalconerHG

Prez wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 14:05:
First off, I was bashing the devs, not your review, which was pretty good. Second, I understand that Turn-based games may be out of fashion with the bean counters, but if bean counters ran the world we wouldn't have ever gotten Simcity or Civilization, so I can't for the life of me understand why people are okay with them running the games industry. I also don't get all the excuses for the co-opting of once great turn-based franchises like X-Com and JA. You want to make a FPS with aliens? Fine - just don't call it X-Com. Don't even TRY to pass this game off as Jagged Alliance, because it's not. Had it just been called "Back in Action" and refered to as a "spiritual successor" to JA, the whole shitstorm could have been avoided.

As it is, I hope the game they call a remake and then raped the core mechanics out of, that IS NOT A GODDAMNED JAGGED ALLIANCE REMAKE, fails miserably.

I didn't think you were bashing my review, glad to read you liked it though.

I totally agree with you. I absolutely love TB games and they are consistently the games I play for years on end. And yep, Xcom FPS made me angry and I'm glad Firaxis is working on a REAL Xcom (at least it looks that way).

I do feel BiA is a remake though, it is far more similar to the original JA2 than it is different. There is good reason to believe the Currie's would have made the franchise real time at some point too. (and even if they had, I'd still have preferred it TB hehe)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Game Reviews Feb 13, 2012, 14:05 Prez

FalconerHG wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 02:05:
Prez wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 18:07:
The Hooked Gamers review of Back in Action (I refuse to call it Jagged Alliance) has the following blurb as a major plus in their review:

"Plan-and-go is a good alternative to Turn-Based Combat..."

I am still waiting for someone to explain why we NEEDED an alternative to a system that is perfect as it is. Goddamn, the arrogance and ignorance of some developers is irksome.

Hi Prez, that's my review.

You can't explain why we need it. It works, but as you can also read in my review, I'd still prefer turn-based. We (those that love TB) don't need it but saying something is turn-based does scare away a large number of prospective buyers, so to sell the amounts they need to sell, the publisher and the developer need it.

First off, I was bashing the devs, not your review, which was pretty good. Second, I understand that Turn-based games may be out of fashion with the bean counters, but if bean counters ran the world we wouldn't have ever gotten Simcity or Civilization, so I can't for the life of me understand why people are okay with them running the games industry. I also don't get all the excuses for the co-opting of once great turn-based franchises like X-Com and JA. You want to make a FPS with aliens? Fine - just don't call it X-Com. Don't even TRY to pass this game off as Jagged Alliance, because it's not. Had it just been called "Back in Action" and refered to as a "spiritual successor" to JA, the whole shitstorm could have been avoided.

As it is, I hope the game they call a remake and then raped the core mechanics out of, that IS NOT A GODDAMNED JAGGED ALLIANCE REMAKE, fails miserably.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Game Reviews Feb 13, 2012, 11:43 PHJF

Small mods are already appearing and I'm certain the modding community will work valiantly to add stuff to BiA, proving it to be a great base for a JA2 1.13-like experience.

They already did that... to JA2.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Game Reviews Feb 13, 2012, 06:34 FalconerHG

Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 05:10:
I've played JA2 at least once a year since it's release, usually to completion.

BiA is missing a great deal of features that JA players are accustomed to having. This isn't "hardcores" being "hardcore", it's that BiA offers less of a game. The original is superior, and the graphics and control systems have aged well enough that there is no reason to play a newer inferior product.

Do yourself a favour and play the original.

That's certainly good advice, but considering the amount of fun I'm having with BiA, I think it's too easy to say that it's less of a game.

Small mods are already appearing and I'm certain the modding community will work valiantly to add stuff to BiA, proving it to be a great base for a JA2 1.13-like experience.

5. Re: Game Reviews Feb 13, 2012, 05:10 Dmitri_M

J wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 19:35:
At the risk of drawing massive amounts of heat upon myself, I've been playing turn-based games since Rebelstar Raiders and I am fine with Back in Action. It seems to work okay.

Granted, I didn't play the original yet, but when I'm done with this one I'll probably get the original and mod it up to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm wondering if it's the hardcore lot who are having the difficulties with the new BiA.

I've played JA2 at least once a year since it's release, usually to completion.

BiA is missing a great deal of features that JA players are accustomed to having. This isn't "hardcores" being "hardcore", it's that BiA offers less of a game. The original is superior, and the graphics and control systems have aged well enough that there is no reason to play a newer inferior product.

Do yourself a favour and play the original.

4. Re: Game Reviews Feb 13, 2012, 02:05 FalconerHG

Prez wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 18:07:
The Hooked Gamers review of Back in Action (I refuse to call it Jagged Alliance) has the following blurb as a major plus in their review:

I am still waiting for someone to explain why we NEEDED an alternative to a system that is perfect as it is. Goddamn, the arrogance and ignorance of some developers is irksome.

Hi Prez, that's my review.

You can't explain why we need it. It works, but as you can also read in my review, I'd still prefer turn-based. We (those that love TB) don't need it but saying something is turn-based does scare away a large number of prospective buyers, so to sell the amounts they need to sell, the publisher and the developer need it.

3. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2012, 20:02 space captain

J wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 19:35:
I am fine with Back in Action. It seems to work okay.

Granted, I didn't play the original yet,

nuff said

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2012, 19:35 J

At the risk of drawing massive amounts of heat upon myself, I've been playing turn-based games since Rebelstar Raiders and I am fine with Back in Action. It seems to work okay.

Granted, I didn't play the original yet, but when I'm done with this one I'll probably get the original and mod it up to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm wondering if it's the hardcore lot who are having the difficulties with the new BiA.

1. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2012, 18:07 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo