Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway

Those interested in Tribes Ascend now have the opportunity to get a key to the ongoing closed beta test of Hi-Rez Studios' upcoming multiplayer shooter revival. All you need to do to earn a key is to "like" the game's Facebook Page to earn a spot in the game's beta. This offer is good through February 22nd.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 13, 2012, 13:47 Wowbagger_TIP

Any way to get a beta key without being on Facebook? I registered an account on their site, but it doesn't really say anything about whether that will get me a key or not. Anytime I click the "Register for Beta" link, it just makes me login again and then I'm back at the main page. Their site kinda sucks.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 13, 2012, 01:09 Crustacean Soup

space captain wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 23:43:
panbient wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 09:01:
For myself I gave it a month, I have yet to figure out a way to play it and consistently have fun. The potential is definitely there, which is probably why I keep going back every once in a while, but I'm not ready to fold Tribes:Ascend back into my daily gaming mix.

if you are concerned about getting kills, you should be playing TDM primarily... it is non-stop combat, the maps are tiny and there is hardly an idle second

it will improve your combat skills much quicker than CTF

The skills you get from TDM don't transfer well to CTF, though. Movement, positioning, and map awareness are less important. The roles don't exist as they're defined in CTF; there's no defenders, there's no crazy suicidal fractal-grenade-running brutes, there's no juggernauts trying to take out / distract your flag D, there's no chasing, there's no sniping incoming cappers (what with there being no incoming cappers).

The basic concept of aiming at and shooting an enemy is nothing to pick up at all. The rest of it can't be learnt effectively in TDM. Even just the basics of jetpacking and skiing aren't as strictly required, and a lot of players who play TDM (from my short experience in it) don't seem to grasp the concepts well enough that you have to exercise them to keep up.

18. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 12, 2012, 23:43 space captain

panbient wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 09:01:
For myself I gave it a month, I have yet to figure out a way to play it and consistently have fun. The potential is definitely there, which is probably why I keep going back every once in a while, but I'm not ready to fold Tribes:Ascend back into my daily gaming mix.

if you are concerned about getting kills, you should be playing TDM primarily... it is non-stop combat, the maps are tiny and there is hardly an idle second

it will improve your combat skills much quicker than CTF

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 12, 2012, 19:53 Jerykk

Ascend is actually a LOT easier than the original. Energy recharge is much faster, skiing is simply a matter of holding down one button rather than having to manipulate two keys and I suspect the hit boxes are more generous (though I might be wrong on that one).

The ease of T:A depends on the roles you play. It's definitely harder to play light defense than in the previous games. You can only hold two weapons and one of those is a weak secondary weapon, unlike T1 where you could have a disc launcher, grenade launcher/chaingun and sniper rifle, making you effective at all ranges. In T1, you could also hold more grenades and mines and instantly throw them as well. You could also shoot said mines in midair, instantly killing cappers and doing significant damage to heavies. Finally, disc-jumping was significantly more effective in T1, making it much easier to catch up to cappers. Disc-jumping is fairly useless in T:A unless you already have momentum.

16. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 12, 2012, 13:59 sc4r4b

I freaking love this game...

The changes to the classes are really nice. I love the speed and movement; it's not as "floaty" as past games; Close Combat is really improved and fun.

The new weapons and balance allow more options and customization. I don't feel like I'll play one role all the time; I prefer the light classes but I've been able to cap the flag as a heavy which is pretty cool. And instead of using the Spinfuser all the time there are various projectile weapons to choose from and they are all viable, like the classes. I got a mid-air one-hit double kill on a flag carrier and defender with the melee weapon.

Frankly I hope the game remains in the niche FPS category after seeing so many games collapse from being too popular. This is what I wanted T:V to be. Tribes is freestyle FPS.

I'm an old school Tribes2 vet and currently I'm playing Tribes and BF3 .

15. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 12, 2012, 12:35 Hump

Ascend is actually a LOT easier than the original. Energy recharge is much faster, skiing is simply a matter of holding down one button rather than having to manipulate two keys and I suspect the hit boxes are more generous (though I might be wrong on that one).

While making a game more noob friendly may allow fresh players to acclimate quickly it also has the negative effect of becoming dull much more quickly. A learning curve will keep the game fresh longer and the feeling of reward when you finally do get a difficult kill makes the game ultimately more satisfying.

My suggestion is this: Pick a role and stay with it. The easiest and most fun for new players is the Juggernaut. Don't try to chase flag cappers or spam the opponents base. Just defend the generators. Trust me, you'll get plenty of action. After you've mastered that, start the Technician role. Turrets do serious damage in Ascend. Upgrade to two turrets and a thumper for yourself and you've got some easy kills coming. Just stay with your role, repair/defend. Classes like the Sentinel (sniper) and Jumper (capper/chaser) have a high learning curve and are best left for later. Focus on a role than trying to do it all and I guarantee you'll get better and enjoy it far more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

14. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 12, 2012, 09:01 panbient

Hump wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 22:35:
Odd, it seems even many of the hardcore tribes vets are finding that the game isn't a complete waste of time. Its hard to deny theyve captured much of the feel of T1 and have been working with the fanbase on a level that you rarely see from developers. The pro's far outweigh the cons unless you're just looking to be "contrary guy" who dismisses anything that doesn't fit into some narrow definition of what the "ELITE" deem acceptable.

"This shit is for newfags MAAAAAAN!"

It might not be a waste of time but it's still not the most accommodating game to new players. While I might be a noob to Tribes I'm not a noob to gaming but holy hell man, 3-4 kills in a match as a 'career high' after a month+ of playing isn't encouraging. Most people don't mind learning curves, but when faced with a learning cliff most people walk away.

Congrats 'hardcore' gamers you got your wish. Now go support this product.

13. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 12, 2012, 06:10 Esoteric

The best snipers (sentinels) that I've seen play defense, watching flag capper routes. Usually a capper takes damage when they take the flag, and one snipe is enough to finish them off afterwards. They also shoot incoming cappers, and random offensive players. A good sniper is VERY annoying to cappers.  

12. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 12, 2012, 02:28 Overon

yuastnav wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 20:33:
Overon wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 20:17:
I like Tribes Ascend. Thought it's really hard to snipe because there seems to be some bad connection players warping a little bit.

Fixed that for you. :p
As someone who has never played a Tribes game before I find the best way to play the Sentinel is not to sit around (the spawn points) and try to kill everyone but to move constantly and then try to kill the other players from a distance or to try and snipe the flag carrier while chasing him yourself.
I will try what you say.

11. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 22:35 Hump

Jackplug wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 19:02:
I got bored of this and havent played it in ages, from a T1 vet point of view, I found the maps boring and skilless. The ski runs are little bumps in the ground that reminds me of T2 which is another bunch of devs who think they know better.

Odd, it seems even many of the hardcore tribes vets are finding that the game isn't a complete waste of time. Its hard to deny theyve captured much of the feel of T1 and have been working with the fanbase on a level that you rarely see from developers. The pro's far outweigh the cons unless you're just looking to be "contrary guy" who dismisses anything that doesn't fit into some narrow definition of what the "ELITE" deem acceptable.

"This shit is for newfags MAAAAAAN!"

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

10. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 20:33 yuastnav

Overon wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 20:17:
I like Tribes Ascend. Thought it's really hard to snipe because there seems to be some bad connection players warping a little bit.

Fixed that for you. :p
As someone who has never played a Tribes game before I find the best way to play the Sentinel is not to sit around (the spawn points) and try to kill everyone but to move constantly and then try to kill the other players from a distance or to try and snipe the flag carrier while chasing him yourself.

9. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 20:17 Overon

8. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 20:12 space captain

Jackplug wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 19:02:
I got bored of this and havent played it in ages, from a T1 vet point of view, I found the maps boring and skilless. The ski runs are little bumps in the ground that reminds me of T2 which is another bunch of devs who think they know better.

your "point of view" sounds pretty boring as well...

but hey - at least you know better than those stupid devs

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 20:03 Jerykk

Social media needs to die.  

6. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 19:02 Jackplug

5. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 15:44 Hump

went back to play after not touching the game for over a month. I really like the changes they've implemented. It gives one much more customization choices, the lack of which was the main complaint about their revenue model. The only thing I dislike is the main menu GUI, its not as intuitive as the previous one IMO.  

- Jim Goad

4. Re: RE: Follow up Feb 11, 2012, 15:42 UConnBBall

I just signed up on the website. I really was a hater of this game after starting to play TDM with non-Spin assault rifles. Now this game is really growing on me. Certainly a skill based shooter. I am sure all the modern FPS Peggle FPS players will not like, but this is really a truly a PC Shooter.  

3. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 15:06 Sir Graves

Silly Hi-Rez. "Liking" on FB is so 2011.

And I still won't do it in 2012.

2. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 14:00 KTR

This giveaway been going on since December. Also, Alienware is giving away keys too.

http://alienwarearena.com/giveaway/tribes-ascend-closed-beta-key-awa-giveaway/

1. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 13:19 DangerDog

Facebook -> Stab <- me  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo