Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

truepcgaming - Developerís Block: Quick Time Events.
Rather than making them a separate scene, it should go hand in hand with the gameplay. Quick time events should be a part of the action instead of becoming an interactive cutscene, even if it means that the developer should create a whole new set of controls for it to be possible. For example, take Kingdom Heartsí reaction command system, also known as quick time events. They work well because theyíre, for the most part, optional and you wonít lose because you missed the opportunity. In Kingdom Hearts, quick time events can only help which is how it should be done.

View
14. Re: Op Ed Feb 12, 2012, 22:52 Jerykk

Though i agree with you that higher damage is obviously an issue but then one simply has to make the combat system more complex - improve AI routines, implement dodges and back-jumps.. rolls and flips.

But if you do that, then player skill becomes more important than his character's stats and at that point, it's more of an action game than an RPG.

If First person melee is crap no matter what is tried, and i haven't seen any game where its not crap including mount and blade, then it simply has to be a 3rd person game... no point in sticking to first person when it damages gameplay and causes difficulty to at best be a totally daft enemy hp * 5 crap like it is in Skyrim. Thats not difficulty nor balanced.

Except an RPG is about more than just combat. A first-person perspective is inherently the most immersive, as it most closely resembles how you view the world yourself. To sacrifice this immersion for the sake of combat doesn't seem worth it to me, though I generally play stealthy/diplomatic characters anyway.

I also disagree with the notion of mage weapons. A mage's weapons are his spells. If they are balanced properly, he shouldn't need any physical weapons (which is why I didn't like the addition of staves in Oblivion). A mage should be 100% reliant on his spells during combat.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 11, 13:22 Re: Op Ed Aero
  2. Feb 11, 13:36  Re: Op Ed PHJF
  3. Feb 11, 15:26 Re: Op Ed jacobvandy
  4. Feb 11, 16:46 Re: Op Ed eunichron
  5. Feb 11, 18:45  Re: Op Ed Draugr
  6. Feb 11, 20:00   Re: Op Ed Jerykk
  8. Feb 12, 03:18    Re: Op Ed eRe4s3r
  9. Feb 12, 03:51     Re: Op Ed Jerykk
  10. Feb 12, 04:55      Re: Op Ed eRe4s3r
  11. Feb 12, 06:48       Re: Op Ed Jerykk