Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Metaverse

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Chrome Feb 12, 2012, 06:42 Mashiki Amiketo

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 19:22:
Is this a problem with all nvidia cards, or just some of them? I was just considering shopping for a new card, but I definitely don't want one that's going to mess up FF for me. Would go with AMD for sure if that's the case.
Hit or miss. Some cards from the same bin will TDR like crazy, but other cards won't. Even from the same lot. It really seems to come down to a problem with voltage in a 2d/3d state. It has gotten better since the 295.51's though some people again have serious problems with that beta release.

Most people seem to get rid of the TDR problem by voltage bumping either the GPU or memory. Which leads most people to think nvidia has screwed around with the voltage settings in the driver to make the cards run cooler, and in turn made them more unstable in some cases.

The funny thing is, it's not just FF that this happens in. It also happens in Chrome. And they're built off of two different engines.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 12, 2012, 02:54 Wowbagger_TIP

Bucky wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 01:44:
Shok wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 13:50:
I finally just made Chrome my default browser the other day. Firefox causes my video card to crash regularly with the nvidia VPU recovery nonsense. After installing Chrome it's amazing how much faster browsing seems now.

Funny, today I made the switch back to Firefox as my default browser after having had Chrome in that spot for a few years. There's no noticeable performance difference to me, Firefox works better with a few flaky websites, and the Firefox extensions still can't be beat.

What really drove the switch was Chrome's shitty download and bookmark managers, with no good extensions to improve them because of the way Chrome is designed. Sure, a bad extension in Firefox can cause more problems, but the access it has to the browser is also what makes them better.

I discovered Tab Grouping shortly after transitioning all of my bookmarks, and it sealed the deal. I'll still keep Chrome (and Opera) installed, but for now Firefox wins.

The number one add-on that keeps me using Firefox is Tree Style Tabs. Best way to handle lots of tabs that I've found so far, and I regularly have 60 to 100 tabs open all the time. Adblock, Noscript, and Better Privacy are also must-haves.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

16. No subject Feb 12, 2012, 01:44 Bucky

I finally just made Chrome my default browser the other day. Firefox causes my video card to crash regularly with the nvidia VPU recovery nonsense. After installing Chrome it's amazing how much faster browsing seems now.

Funny, today I made the switch back to Firefox as my default browser after having had Chrome in that spot for a few years. There's no noticeable performance difference to me, Firefox works better with a few flaky websites, and the Firefox extensions still can't be beat.

What really drove the switch was Chrome's shitty download and bookmark managers, with no good extensions to improve them because of the way Chrome is designed. Sure, a bad extension in Firefox can cause more problems, but the access it has to the browser is also what makes them better.

I discovered Tab Grouping shortly after transitioning all of my bookmarks, and it sealed the deal. I'll still keep Chrome (and Opera) installed, but for now Firefox wins.

15. Re: Chrome Feb 12, 2012, 00:30 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 17:45:
I finally just made Chrome my default browser the other day. Firefox causes my video card to crash regularly with the nvidia VPU recovery nonsense.
You realize that's been an on going 'nvidia driver' problem since the 280 releases right? Pretty much for the last 6mo, and there's pushing 80k complaints on the topic on nvidia's forums. This is known as the TDR bug.

Funny how I never hear the Nvidia zealots bitching about this when they're ranting about how shitty AMD's drivers are.

On topic : Does Chrome have a functional adblock and noscript add-on?

Creston

14. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 11, 2012, 23:56 space captain

its an easy bug to fix.. disable hardware acceleration in firefox

voila

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Chrome Feb 11, 2012, 21:30 nin

If you're still using the 280 release drivers, nin, you should probably get the newer ones as they improve performance in Skyrim, and likely a couple other games you play. (Or maybe you've issues with them.. idk)

Yeah, I probably should. I just get in a habit where, if something works, I'm hesitant to move to something else that might cause problems elsewhere.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Chrome Feb 11, 2012, 21:21 Shok

To clarify my system setup:

My system specs are a Galaxy GTX560 2GB with 290.53 beta drivers. My machine is set up to multi-boot win7x64: the gaming partition has the 290.53 drivers and another partition I boot from has the official release 285.62 driver. They both experience the crash randomly with Firefox running.

11. Re: Chrome Feb 11, 2012, 20:52 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 20:30:
I've only seen that twice in the last few months (280.26, GTX 560), but it is annoying.

If you're still using the 280 release drivers, nin, you should probably get the newer ones as they improve performance in Skyrim, and likely a couple other games you play. (Or maybe you've issues with them.. idk)

As far as the Firefox issues, I have a nVidia SLI rig (on an AMD/ATI Crossfire-only MOBO, lol) and use firefox *every* day, with 10-100 tabs open depending on the day, and have *never* had this driver crash that people are reporting. I have been having a (driver) crash that is similar to that described with Team Fortress 2/DOTA 2 for the past couple months (since the 280 driver release too, which makes me think it's related).

As far as choosing your video card based on this Firefox issue, I believe there are benefits to having a nVidia GPU over AMD/ATI that outweigh any minor (if annoying) driver crash thats currently happening randomly with Firefox.

Edit: if you're wondering how I have SLI running on a Crossfire board, the answer is here: http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/f24/hypersli-enabling-sli-non-sli-112054/

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2012, 21:00.

10. Re: Chrome Feb 11, 2012, 20:31 jimnms

Shok wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 19:51:
Is this a problem with all nvidia cards, or just some of them? I was just considering shopping for a new card, but I definitely don't want one that's going to mess up FF for me. Would go with AMD for sure if that's the case.

Yes, apparently so if you use the 280 release drivers. To be honest, it didn't crash daily...only 3-4 times a week or so. And by crash, I mean the video driver crashed not Firefox. Basically, you get a black screen out of the blue for a few seconds and the vid driver pops up a tooltip that it recovered from a crash.

I'm currently running 290.53, but even with the 280 drivers I never had that problem with my GTX 470.

Steam Profile

9. Re: Chrome Feb 11, 2012, 20:30 nin

Shok wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 19:51:

Yes, apparently so if you use the 280 release drivers. To be honest, it didn't crash daily...only 3-4 times a week or so. And by crash, I mean the video driver crashed not Firefox. Basically, you get a black screen out of the blue for a few seconds and the vid driver pops up a tooltip that it recovered from a crash.

I've only seen that twice in the last few months (280.26, GTX 560), but it is annoying.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Chrome Feb 11, 2012, 19:51 Shok

7. Re: Chrome Feb 11, 2012, 19:22 Wowbagger_TIP

I finally just made Chrome my default browser the other day. Firefox causes my video card to crash regularly with the nvidia VPU recovery nonsense.
You realize that's been an on going 'nvidia driver' problem since the 280 releases right? Pretty much for the last 6mo, and there's pushing 80k complaints on the topic on nvidia's forums. This is known as the TDR bug.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 11, 2012, 18:39 wtf_man

I switched to Chrome after Firefox 4 and 5 sucked so badly on OSX last year, and I haven't looked back. I use it on Windows and Linux, too.

One of the main reasons it took me so long to consider Chrome (from trying it before) was because there weren't equivalent extensions at the time. But when Firefox 4 came out, I looked at Chrome again, and there was pretty much everything I wanted, extension-wise.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2012, 19:40.

5. Re: Chrome Feb 11, 2012, 18:13 Shok

Yes I know it has been an ongoing thing and I'm tired of dealing with it. Whoever is to blame I don't care as long as the crashes are gone.

4. Re: Chrome Feb 11, 2012, 17:45 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 11, 2012, 14:49 Shok

Thanks, installed it and enabled it to block all "bugs" even though they say it's only supported experimentally in Chrome.  

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 11, 2012, 14:25 DangerDog

http://www.ghostery.com/about

especially if you're using Chrome.

1. Re: Chrome Feb 11, 2012, 13:50 Shok

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo