Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 13, 2012, 09:30 Razumen

Optional nickname wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 09:10:
Also, with the fall of Bittorrent,

Wut.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 13, 2012, 09:10 Optional nickname

I work in distribution (Canada) and pre floods, a 2TB Samsung was an all time low of $69USD, a 500GB Seagate was about to hit $31 USD.

during the week of the floods, (although a humanitarian disaster, but opportunity for price gouging occured, blown way out of proportion, with nothing to say about it) when the buying frenzy happened, the price of 2TB went up 5x fold to $345, and allocation just seized.

The 500GB were also selling 5x fold at near $150.

Today, the prices are approx 2.5x than what used to be, and apparently, that is how they will stay, from now on, until the next magnetic medium breakthrough is achieved. (no lunger a rush, see below)

Also, with the fall of Bittorrent, no one will need larger than 1TB harddrives anymore, so enjoy the new price of HDD, and kiss innovation rate goodbye.

Enjoy your ipad3's sheeple.

p.s you should have seen what some customers were paying for Enterprise class drives (SAS, SS, RE4 drives) , they went up near 7-8x fold, and are almost still there today. They are reverting back to cheaper Sata ones, and will pay to replace those, instead of paying the premium for (hard to find) SAS.

By the way, all this harddrive pricing, it is fixed. And guess by who? That's right, the Asians that are dictating our economy in NorthAmerica. Our marketing backbone people are spineless jellyfish.

so, whoever is this mathematical genius that states 28%, I believe he meant 280%

yes, supply and demand is at play, but it is speculative shorted supply, mixed with real demand.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2012, 09:18.

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 12, 2012, 17:45 Orogogus

I don't know about electronics, but in my field there are a lot of raw materials and finished goods where the difference between buying from the US and out of country is much, much more than 28%, even after shipping, customs brokering, etc. are factored in. For simple materials it can be more like 300%.  

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 12, 2012, 13:59 Razumen

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 00:12:
Isn't it great that we can't build hard drives here on this continent? I love having all eggs in one basket. Of course people in America or Canada would want a living wage, and how can a corporate CEO upkeep a private jet when he is being forced to pay people a decent wage?

Don't you know? Capitalism always trumps petty domestic concerns.

8. Ung! Ung! Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin! LO! Feb 12, 2012, 00:18 space captain

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain  
Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 12, 2012, 00:12 Beelzebud

Isn't it great that we can't build hard drives here on this continent? I love having all eggs in one basket. Of course people in America or Canada would want a living wage, and how can a corporate CEO upkeep a private jet when he is being forced to pay people a decent wage?  

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2012, 20:39 jimnms

I picked up a 1TB WD passport for a little over $50 post-flood at Staples. Even after they recover, I bet prices will stay high for a while. It's a good thing I'm set for space, unless a drive crashes. My system has a 1.5TB main drive and a 1TB backup. I have an old 400GB and 250GB around if I need them.  

Steam Profile

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2012, 19:37 zirik

killer_roach wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 14:48:
You know something is fundamentally messed up when you are able to snag an external hard drive from Walmart or Meijer cheaper than you could from Newegg (and that was the case until they restocked their supplies).

haha. i noticed that too. its really messed up that best buys and walmart had cheaper external drives than bare drives from newegg or frys.

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2012, 19:34 zirik

Dev wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 13:14:
28% must be averaged out over a period of time. Right after the floods prices doubled in some cases. Mechanical hdds that is, SSDs weren't affected.

before the flood i could buy a 2tb drive for $75 at frys. now i cant even find one for less than $129.

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2012, 17:29 Mashiki Amiketo

28% must be averaged out over a period of time. Right after the floods prices doubled in some cases. Mechanical hdds that is, SSDs weren't affected.
Must be. The last numbers I saw for our bulk purchases(1k units-in Canada) put us at 192% above the pre-thai flood pricing. It's down around 82% now, but still way too expensive and we go through a lot of drives.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2012, 14:48 killer_roach

There are still a lot of drives that cost more than double what they did before the floods... 28%, from what I'm seeing, is almost a best-case scenario.

You know something is fundamentally messed up when you are able to snag an external hard drive from Walmart or Meijer cheaper than you could from Newegg (and that was the case until they restocked their supplies).

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2012, 13:14 Dev

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo