Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death

The Diablo III Website shows off a trailer from BlizzCon 2011, where the developers at Blizzard discuss the nightmare difficulty in Diablo III, their upcoming action/RPG sequel. In the clip artists Kevin K. Griffith, Nate Bowden, Nick Eberle, and Richie Marella reassure players of the challenge this will represent, which is reflected in the video's title: "Diablo III -- You Will Die. We Promise."

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 11, 2012, 21:01 Ant

This reminds me of DOOM's nightmare.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 11, 2012, 11:02 Prez

As I am a SP gamer Diablo 3 is entirely off my list, heck boycotting this game would be a joke, I never intend to buy it.

That goes for me as well. Which is crazy, because I played the hell out of Diablo. Diablo 2, not so much since it looked so much worse than anything else out at the time. (The resolution was maxed out at 640x480 for chrissake!)

We're even seeing it with the current console generation, with single player games like Demon's Souls. I don't know what kind of future you imagine, but we're going to be MORE connected, not less.

Um, most everyone here doesn't mind being "connected" and in fact are most of the time most likely. That is irrelevant to why we are against SP online mandates. It's not Blizzard's place (or yours) to tell us that we need to accept mandated contitnuous connectivity for applications with no justifiable reason for it. The fact of the matter is that it's too much of an inconvenience for absolutely no tangible benefit for the SP gamer (Starcraft 2's constant drops made this painfully clear to me) Connectivity is OUR choice to make, and Blizzard taking it upon themselves to make the choice for us is enough for this gamer to say "No thanks". It's not okay when Ubisoft does it, and it's not okay when Blizzard does it.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2012, 11:58.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 11, 2012, 02:28 KataSteel

LittleMe wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:43:
That isn't dying. Your char is still playable. It's just a xp loss and your equipment is still on your char. They should have a mode where you have just one life. I'm not talking about difficulty, just removing the immortality of the char. Even three lives would be fine. Just some sort of *real* penalty for dieing.
Umm, you mean like the hardcore difficulty?

43. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 22:34 Dev

Yifes wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 21:57:
It is about connectivity. The more ubiquitous high-speed internet becomes, the less reason to keep your games fully offline. We're seeing it with the current PC games. We're seeing it with the growth of casual online games. We're even seeing it with the current console generation, with single player games like Demon's Souls. I don't know what kind of future you imagine, but we're going to be MORE connected, not less.
I agree, and I never said anything about fully offline. I'm talking offline single player. There's a big difference between loading a game with optional connectivity features and REQUIRING an ALWAYS on constantly authenticating internet connection for DRM for single player mode that goes nuts if if a couple seconds go by without internet. Thats the ubi style, the d3 style is just not at all going to allow any offline access.

What I imagine is games offering more and more features connecting to facebook, youtube, etc (more of the type of stuff seen in spore, more connectivity in steam) making it easier and easier to share your game experience. I'm thinking more people will WANT to be online so as to use those features. But what if the player isn't online? Will the single player mode of the game still work? In the case of D3, the answer is no.

42. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 21:57 Yifes

Dev wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 17:48:
Connectivity isn't the issue. You have to be connected to play multiplayer anyway, and BF3 is primarily a multiplayer game.

The problem is when they require an always on connection for playing single player. And just because YOU think an always online form of DRM is trivial, doesn't make it that way for every other person on the planet.

Also, you are not the arbitrar of the future, so you can't say for certain that always online DRM games will increase in frequency.

It is about connectivity. The more ubiquitous high-speed internet becomes, the less reason to keep your games fully offline. We're seeing it with the current PC games. We're seeing it with the growth of casual online games. We're even seeing it with the current console generation, with single player games like Demon's Souls. I don't know what kind of future you imagine, but we're going to be MORE connected, not less.

41. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 19:54 DedEye

Actually it isn't even just always on DRM, half the game literally never fully exists on your PC.

Its the ultimate rental game, meaning you may buy it, but you never really own anything that even can run without blizzard saying "yes yes.. you are not a dirty pirate ... maybe!"

I watched a documentary....oh.... 10 or so years ago? maybe longer, about the big shots in Silicon Valley. I distinctly recall the founder of Oracle predicting that in the future all software will be serverside and the consumer will pay for access. Looks like he was more accurate than I'd hoped.

40. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 19:15 Dev

Bhruic wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 17:52:
Imagine judging Diablo 2 based on Act 1 quest 1. How many times did you die doing the Den of Evil on normal?

Effectively, from what I understand (didn't get my beta invite *sniff*), that's what we have in Diablo 3. So it's no surprise that people aren't dying. When you get to the later Acts and difficulty levels, I'm sure death will be more common.
Exactly. Incidentally, I recall something similar from the diablo 2 stress test. They put just a tiny amount of the game out there and only on the lowest difficulty. Its nothing new. Anyone judging the ease of the full game (and its range of difficulties) from the limited beta (and its locked difficulty) alone is an idiot.

Now if you don't have faith in blizzard to properly balance difficulty, thats another matter entirely.

39. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 19:02 dj LiTh

Bring it, i beat diablo 2 LOD, solo (on bnet) in hell mode by myself....i acually need a challenge, unlike all these pansy gamers below me  

38. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 17:52 Bhruic

Imagine judging Diablo 2 based on Act 1 quest 1. How many times did you die doing the Den of Evil on normal?

Effectively, from what I understand (didn't get my beta invite *sniff*), that's what we have in Diablo 3. So it's no surprise that people aren't dying. When you get to the later Acts and difficulty levels, I'm sure death will be more common.

37. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 17:48 Dev

Yifes wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 17:08:
That sucks man, BF3 was awesome. Like it or not, online connectivity is the future, and you're going to be missing out on more and more great games over something trivial.
Connectivity isn't the issue. You have to be connected to play multiplayer anyway, and BF3 is primarily a multiplayer game.

The problem is when they require an always on connection for playing single player. And just because YOU think an always online form of DRM is trivial, doesn't make it that way for every other person on the planet.

Also, you are not the arbitrar of the future, so you can't say for certain that always online DRM games will increase in frequency. So far its been mostly ubisoft thats doing it, and they used to be one of the main users of starforce, they've been into extreme DRM for a long time. Blizzard has been moving in the direction of less customer freedom for years now, and this is just one more step in that direction.

We've already had a large decrease in limited activation games with the rise of steam's popularity, we may well see a similar decrease in always on DRM for single player stuff.

36. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 17:40 Creston

robo_bee wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 16:42:
In the video the guy says him and his buddies wail away on a boss for an hour? Let's see now. Either these guys have really crap items or the boss is super difficult.

In the case of the boss being super difficult then we can think about how many boss monsters we might face in nightmare difficulty, oh let's say 50 bosses over all acts? That means over 50 hours to just beat the bosses? WTF!? Then in theory the difficulty ramps up even more in hell so you might take hundreds of hours just to beat the bosses in hell.

I don't know, I really am beginning to think these people have made a stupid game, and I am feeling rather stupid myself for pre-ordering it

I'm pretty sure he says they were WIPING OUT for an hour on that boss, because they weren't working together.

That said, isn't WoW all about bosses that take two straight hours to kill?

Creston

35. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 17:08 Yifes

JoeNapalm wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 16:38:
I was looking forward to D3, but this "you'll fold because you NEED our game" bully bully crap is why I didn't play BF3...

That sucks man, BF3 was awesome. Like it or not, online connectivity is the future, and you're going to be missing out on more and more great games over something trivial.

34. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 16:48 Dev

PHJF wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 15:18:
But it *totally* takes skillz to min/max all your stats!
You mean those attributes that are all auto done by blizzard now when you level up?

Yes, I know you were talking about something else, but I wanted to reply about this new "feature" of d3

33. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 16:42 robo_bee

In the video the guy says him and his buddies wail away on a boss for an hour? Let's see now. Either these guys have really crap items or the boss is super difficult.

In the case of the boss being super difficult then we can think about how many boss monsters we might face in nightmare difficulty, oh let's say 50 bosses over all acts? That means over 50 hours to just beat the bosses? WTF!? Then in theory the difficulty ramps up even more in hell so you might take hundreds of hours just to beat the bosses in hell.

I don't know, I really am beginning to think these people have made a stupid game, and I am feeling rather stupid myself for pre-ordering it

32. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 16:38 JoeNapalm

I was just inspired to do my homework on this DRM, and...

...the Blizzard of old is officially dead.

WTF is up with THIS anti-consumer UBI-esque crap? Blizz, why hath though forsaken us?

@#$%ing Activision.

I was looking forward to D3, but this "you'll fold because you NEED our game" bully bully crap is why I didn't play BF3...

Yes, Blizz, I just compared you to EA. Never thought the day would come.

"I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!"

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

31. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 16:11 eunichron

This only confirms what anyone with a brain could have concluded on their own; the beta is an extremely small part of the game and there is much more to it. Though, it would be super cool of them to give us some beta access to Nightmare Mode with some premade characters.  

30. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 15:59 Paketep

DRiMablo 3?. Bah.

When is Torchlight 2 getting released again?

29. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 15:54 Kastagir

Undocumented Alien wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 14:51:
As I am a SP gamer Diablo 3 is entirely off my list, heck boycotting this game would be a joke, I never intend to buy it.

Amen, I don't support SP (that's SINGLE PLAYER) that require online connections (i.e. Assassins Creed, D3, etc) or games with Adverts. Just out of principal, I don't want that drivel in a HOBBY.

Same here. In fact, this is what killed my interest in Starcraft2. I really liked the Starcraft story and execution, but they ruined it this go 'round. And even if they didn't tether single player to an online connection, I find it difficult to get into fantasy RPGs that flash 4-digit damage values on the screen. How many hit points do you need, anyways?

28. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 15:18 PHJF

But it *totally* takes skillz to min/max all your stats!

Skillz and hundreds of hours of grinding for gear...

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: Blizzard Promises Diablo III Players Death Feb 10, 2012, 15:17 Creston

JoeNapalm wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 13:36:
Aside from the fact that Diablo, in the past, has had a Hardcore mode...I never understand these folks who insist that games MUST include an "Iron Hand" mode where the character is nuked when you die.

EVERY game has this feature, even MMOs. It's called the @#$%ing DELETE button. If you wanna play that way, just delete your character when you die! Why do you need a special "mode"? Do you lack the resolve to eradicate your save game?

If I were still a programmer, I'd be unlikely to add a feature like that when the capability is already there for the 1% of players who want to do this.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

It's the same argument as the Quicksave Trolls. "WAAAAAH, there should be no quicksave! It ruins the game for me! Nobody should be allowed to quicksave because I don't like it and I don't have the willpower not to use it! WAAAAAH"

Which leads to games like Fear 3 which has 3 checkpoints in an hour long level. Hoo-fucking-rah.

Creston

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo