Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Double Fine Campaign Update

The Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter Page has an update on the startlingly immediate success of this effort at crowdsourcing the funding for Double Fine's next adventure game, which may or may not be Psychonauts 2. The project has now raise over triple its $400K goal, and here's word:

UPDATE: We did it! 100% funded in just over eight hours. You people are amazing! But it's not over yet. The number keeps going up and now the question is just how much news do we want to make with this? We're getting a lot of attention already and it seems like this little project could have an impact beyond itself.

All money raised will go to make the game and documentary better. Additional money means it can appear on more platforms, be translated into more languages, have more music and voice, and an original soundtrack for the documentary, and more!

Your backing and comments have been truly inspiring to me and the team, so on behalf of Double Fine and 2 Player Productions I want to say THANK YOU!!!

I can't wait to see where this thing can go!

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 11, 2012, 12:35 nin

It's slowed down quite a bit, but 1.5 million is still amazing.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 11, 2012, 12:34 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 14:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:04:
Can someone explain to me why everyone throws money at a point and click game, and not at Psychonauts 2 or Nexus 2 ?

I am asking honestly. All this money goes NOT to Psychonauts 2. So what , the , hell?

I'd easily invest that - if I had it - for a new Grim Fandango!

Hells yeah! Finally, something we can agree on Crester.

34. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 11, 2012, 01:47 Jerykk

Schafer said that this could turn into a Psychonauts 2 fund if it reached $20 million. I highly doubt it'll get that far, though. Donations are already starting to slow down, as the most dedicated contributors have already given their contributions. I suspect it'll max out at around $3 million by the time the event ends. That's certainly nothing to scoff at, though, and definitely enough to make a great adventure game.  

33. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 22:39 Dev

Jensen wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 20:26:
Kick Starter takes 5%.
Then there is a ~3% credit card processing fee.
Well, 3%-5% charged from amazon. So maximum 10% taken out of the funding.

I edited my post below. Still doesn't change the rest of my points though.

32. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 20:26 Jensen

Kick Starter takes 5%.
Then there is a ~3% credit card processing fee.

I have no idea how Valve is compensated for Steam keys.

31. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 19:37 Sepharo

If I had to rank my LucasArts adventures favorites:

Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max

Actually let's just leave it at the top 3, I have no idea how I would rank the Monkey Islands, Full Throttle, The Dig, Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango...

30. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 19:14 Orogogus

Telltale still managed to make new Monkey Island and Sam & Max games in recent years, though. But yeah, this is almost certainly going to be something new, which makes me happy.  

29. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 18:54 Dev

Orogogus wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 18:37:
Dev wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 18:35:
Orogogus wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 18:13:
I enjoyed Full Throttle, but it was wrapped up very well. Same with Grim Fandango. It seems like such a bad idea to crack them back open and cram in sequels.
Thats what prequels are for
Ugh.
You are in luck. Someone linked a tweet from Tim (in this thread I think?). Lucasarts policy is to NEVER sell IP. So we will never get any more full throttle, grim fandango, or day of the tentacle games from tim. And its incredibly unlikely we will get any from Lucasarts either, they consider the genre dead. If they did do any, they'd probably screw them up.

Anyways the description of this is BRAND NEW adventure game, and in this thread I laid out a bunch of logical reasons why its not a psychonauts sequel, and other replies came up with some other ones. And we will find out in the first monthly dev video anyway.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2012, 19:04.

28. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 18:43 nin

37K short of 1.5 million. This just blows my mind...

27. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 18:37 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 18:35:
I enjoyed Full Throttle, but it was wrapped up very well. Same with Grim Fandango. It seems like such a bad idea to crack them back open and cram in sequels.
Ugh.

26. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 18:35 Dev

25. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 18:13 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 15:33:
space captain wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:59:
Can someone explain to me why everyone throws money at a point and click game, and not at Psychonauts 2 or Nexus 2 ?

I am asking honestly. All this money goes NOT to Psychonauts 2. So what , the , hell?

'full throttle' is widely considered the best of the old point/click adventure games

I'll second that. Full Throttle was awesome. I was really disappointed when they cancelled Full Throttle 2

Creston

It looked like crap, and didn't have Tim Schafer. It looked like they were going to make a game around the part where you beat up dudes on the highway.

24. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 16:26 Minuit

spindoctor wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 14:05:
Where is the webpage to donate for Psychonauts 2?

Isn't that http://www.minecraft.net/?

23. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 15:33 Creston

space captain wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:59:

'full throttle' is widely considered the best of the old point/click adventure games

I'll second that. Full Throttle was awesome. I was really disappointed when they cancelled Full Throttle 2

Creston

22. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 14:41 Dev

Remember, all this extra money isn't "profit" that they can use to make anything they want.

a) kickstarter takes a big chunk, I think 30%?
Edit: Apparently its more like 10% depending on amazon payments. However, that doesn't change the rest of my points.
b) everyone paying at least $15 is buying a copy of the game and the video series. So they aren't donors they are customers. Putting the game on steam isn't free, steam will expect some compensation, and I imagine that's based on # of customers. I'm not sure that they can do the video updates on steam, so they will have to pay for bandwidth for those too, and the more customers, the more bw.
c) There's probably some sorta contract in place between kickstarter and him, or the people and him (at least an implied one) so that this money has to go to this project.

Its similar to the difference between a general fund part of a state budget and dedicated portions. The dedicated parts by law have to be spent on that particular thing.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2012, 22:39.

21. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 14:28 nin

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 14:24:

More than a few people have suggested Tim take the extra money and go buy the property from LA.

edit: Or not: http://twitter.com/#!/TimOfLegend/status/168032129849098240

20. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 14:26 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 14:12:
But it begs a really good question, why is there no crowd funding for Psychonauts 2? I don't want a point and click, i want Psychonauts 2!
There could be a million reasons. At a guess? They either aren't interested in revisiting that IP right now, or they are doing this as a trial run before they revisit the IP, since they will need funding and they probably don't want to give it up to a publisher again when they just got the rights back.

19. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 14:24 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

18. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 14:19 space captain

Orogogus wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 12:32:
I really don't know about that. It was really, incredibly short. I'd really think one of their older efforts like Day of the Tentacle or Curse of Monkey Island would be more highly rated. Sam & Max, maybe, but the humor isn't for everyone. I thought Grim Fandango was awesome, but it wasn't point and click and I know some people had conniptions over that.

What's this Nexus?

those games are definitely more widely known, but the niche scumm crowd tends to go for it quite a bit

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 10, 2012, 14:12 eRe4s3r

Well the news about this had Psychonauts 2 all over them though, even though non was inside.. ;p

But it begs a really good question, why is there no crowd funding for Psychonauts 2? I don't want a point and click, i want Psychonauts 2!

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo