Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action

Steam now offers Jagged Alliance - Back in Action, the Jagged Alliance 2 remake. Here's an overview of the game:

Designed from the ground up to offer a modern gaming experience, Back in Action showcases an updated isometric 3D look and interface, highly detailed character models and a variety of new gameplay features. Back in Action takes players to the fictitious country of Arulco, where a ruthless dictator has seized power and only a small group of rebels stand to resist him. Tasked with freeing the island from the dictator’s iron grip, players will command rebel and mercenary forces while using tactical, diplomatic and economic tools to keep troops supplied and ready for the next flight, all while commanding them directly in nail-biting battles.

Back in Action’s innovative “plan & go” combat system combines real-time strategy (RTS) with turn-based elements to guarantee that the intricacies of tactical warfare are rendered in dynamic, exciting gameplay. This challenges would-be commanders to master not only strategy and tactical combat, but also to maximize their team’s capabilities through RPG-like character advancement.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 10:35 Yifes

Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 09:29:
For the record, the new X-COM strategy game does not have action points. That has been totally stripped out. But it's still turn based, so I still have hope. I'm just overall confused.

The new XCOM system won't have a huge impact on gameplay. If you take a shot in a turn, then your movement range for that turn is reduced. Kind of like the system in Temple of Elemental Evil.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 10:13 JoeNapalm

Eh, I'm a huge JA fan...and amazingly, it's not the Real-Time-with-Pause thing that bothers me, so far (BE5, while tragically flawed, convinced me that RTWP can work).

What is keeping me from playing the game, right now, is that Back in Action, as a remake, has a whole laundry list of major features that they simply tore out.

1. No player-made characters. Totally unacceptable. On the official boards, the reason given was that they couldn't balance the game with vs a PC - a statement I have absolutely no sympathy for, as they didn't even include difficulty settings! Which leads to:

2. No @#$%ing settings. No SciFi mode, no difficulty, no mode or adjustments outside of when the pauses kick in.

3. The lack of destructable environments, a cover overlay, and any number of other features that JA2 had a decade ago.

Seriously, Devs, if you can't make a game that at least holds up to the most basic comparison to the features of a game from the '90s, go home.

Go big, or go home, mutha@#$%ers!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 09:29 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 08:11:
The reason people bash that system is not that it doesn't work, but with the removal of AP they broke the whole concept of JA - not to mention the entire balance, now the AI has to be gimped because it can always react faster than we can. This system literally TAKES control , which is a completely silly concept in a remake of a game that was all about TOTAL control (of character/Weapon/etc.).

I'm the last person to particularly care about that "whole concept" thing. I'm the one that defended Fallout 3 to death (and was right there) and defend both X-COM and Syndicate (and expect to be wrong on those, but I don't think they're an affront to humanity.)

This fails, to me, for two reasons:
1) Real time tactics, even with pausing, sucks. It's always sucked and it always will suck. Even Sid Meier couldn't make it enjoyable to me with Gettysburg.

2) Uncanny Valley isn't just a visual sensation. When something is very close to something you know but just different it's easy to focus on what's different. It will be very easy to judge an FPS X-COM on face value. It will not be easy to judge a strategy one.

So this game failed from concept, in that real time with pausing is one of the least engaging mechanics out there, but would have struggled regardless.

For the record, the new X-COM strategy game does not have action points. That has been totally stripped out. But it's still turn based, so I still have hope. I'm just overall confused.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 09:27 Mingus

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 08:11:
The reason people bash that system is not that it doesn't work, but with the removal of AP they broke the whole concept of JA - not to mention the entire balance, now the AI has to be gimped because it can always react faster than we can. This system literally TAKES control , which is a completely silly concept in a remake of a game that was all about TOTAL control (of character/Weapon/etc.).

This is exactly how I thought this turkey of a system would turn out. If you are going to claim this to be a JA game, then you damn well better not mess with the core mechanics. You know, the same mechanics which made the original JA series the legend that it is today.

I hope to [insert imaginary deity of your choice] that the UFO remake turns out better than this so called 'remake.'

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 08:11 eRe4s3r

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 07:25 eRe4s3r

I think you should play JA2 1.13 and equip a sniper rifle with scope and bipod and try aiming at things to see what i mean with 1.2
And for suppression mechanic.. i'd advice you start up JA2 1.13 with a MG and ctrl+fire across an area...
As for destruction, i'd advice equipping some TNT and planting it around in each corner of a building and try it out, if thats minor for you, then what do you consider the laughable joke of a destruction system in this remake?

As for 1.1 start up JA2 1.13 with a solder that has agility (or whatever it was called, dexterity) and camp around a corner and wait till an enemy walks around it, thats an interrupt. The instant reaction of your merc - where he can shoot at opportunity targets.

As for 3) They do so automatically with a huge delay, making that setting entirely pointless in a "camping at a corner and waiting for a guy to walk by" situation. I tried this 5 times, in all 5 times the guy with a machete walked up to my merc before he could fire. That was in crouched position with a loaded gun.

4) As i said, there is 2 vital stop points missing in the menu.
5) There is no setting anywhere to toggle aimed mode like it worked in JA2

6) Is absolutely true, cover mechanic as in hugging a wall (not a JA2 feature but in a 3d-game i expect this to be there)

Just too lazy to detail each point, game is crap when compared to JA2 1.13 thats all there is to say.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 06:26 Prez

Not true, why do so many people feel they need to spout nonsense about the game?

So it worked for you, which means it is guaranteed to work for everyone else out there. Anyone who claims it does not is spouting nonsense. Hmmm... not so logical.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 06:23 J

This was my original impression (copypasta):

I've played the Jagged Alliance demo and tried to like it but I can't. The enemy spots me through obstacles; I keep finding myself in places where they can shoot at me and I cannot shoot back even when I stand; throwing grenades indoors is rubbish; I even tried firing a grenade through the window in an attempt to counter the insane ambush when capturing the second point... and he just stood there being shot at, not firing.

I kept trying to like it, but if the demo is anything to go by I'll be giving it a miss.

I also had a problem with guards repeatedly being alerted by a corpse, to the end that there was a huge swarm of enemies all hunched around this guy I had taken out a long time ago, a group that I couldn't possibly handle. A group that rushed me in one big go when I captured the second point.

The obstacles the enemies could see me through included trees and walls.

This was the demo, so part of me hopes that it's fixed in the main game, but I'm not going to buy the main game with the hope it's fixed when the demo is saying "Nuh uh, I don't play that way."

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 05:42 FalconerHG

TheBeefiest wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 23:12:
The pausable real-time is actually fairly good, and it has a very old school feeling in terms of enemies (and you) will die very quickly if you aren't careful.

However it also has the new school feeling of completely untested and unfinished software, I can't believe how every single game has total show stoppers now.

Not true, why do so many people feel they need to spout nonsense about the game?

Back in Action is stable and after nearly 80 hours of gameplay (I've been playing it for two months), I have yet to encounter a single showstopping bug. The preview builds from December had some load/save issues but that was fixed shortly after Xmas.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 05:39 FalconerHG

space captain wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 00:22:
actually the pausable real-time is not fairly good, its fairly shit

just so you know

Play a little longer than an hour before you say that. It took me about two hours to get used to P&G and everyone I know that has been playing the game (all as skeptical as I was) has said P&G works fine, even if they also said to still prefer TB.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 05:35 FalconerHG

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 02:28:
If by worked fine you mean (And i respect you think its OK, but just to lits why its a bad JA game..)

1) Enemies running straight at you when you have your weapon in aim-position and are literally looking through the iron sights... you have a 2.5s delay before you shoot - in 2.5 seconds a good sprinter can run up to you and knock you out... BAD

1.1) No Interrupt system, no AP system

1.2) No Aim zones and aim locks at zones, no delayed aim (aim for 1 whole round, then fire the next)

2) You can see all enemies on the map and their weapons and their patrol routes and their health. BAD

3) There is no "shoot to kill" order - BAD (which means you always shoot too much or too little)

4) Real time in combat BAD, and terrible because lots of auto-stop features missing

5) There doesn't seem to be any way to actually AIM before shooting to shoot instantly when enemy is in sight (least not as an GUI button) BAD

6) No Cover mechanic - if you have me suffer through real-time why can't my guys get properly into cover?

7) No Suppression mechanic

8) No (apparent) enemy moral

9) No gore

10) No -Create your own merc- mode one of the pinnacle and most important features of JA2

11) No destruction except on predefined points. Makes the whole town-moral system useless. In JA2 a badly thrown grenade or shot RPG could blow up parts of the city that really became damaged and damaged your standing massively.

Thats just from the Demo. Terrible shame to the JA name

There are some good points here, but it's worth being accurate when you're casting criticism.

1.1: not true, there is a setting in the menu that will enable this
1.2: not sure what you mean by this
2: true, wish it weren't
3: they do so automatically if you set mercs on guard mode
4: see 1.1
5: see 1.1
6: simply not true
7: not sure what you mean by this
8: true, and the moral for your own mercs doesn't seem to play a role
9: Awww...
10: Awww...
11: I think you've been imagining things. (there is a VERY MINOR destruction component in JA2)

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 04:03 qsto

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 02:28:
If by worked fine you mean (And i respect you think its OK, but just to lits why its a bad JA game..)

This fucking game is a game where 9mm Glock and Mini-14 have an equal effective range...

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 02:28 eRe4s3r

1) Enemies running straight at you when you have your weapon in aim-position and are literally looking through the iron sights... you have a 2.5s delay before you shoot - in 2.5 seconds a good sprinter can run up to you and knock you out... BAD

1.1) No Interrupt system, no AP system

1.2) No Aim zones and aim locks at zones, no delayed aim (aim for 1 whole round, then fire the next)

2) You can see all enemies on the map and their weapons and their patrol routes and their health. BAD

3) There is no "shoot to kill" order - BAD (which means you always shoot too much or too little)

4) Real time in combat BAD, and terrible because lots of auto-stop features missing

5) There doesn't seem to be any way to actually AIM before shooting to shoot instantly when enemy is in sight (least not as an GUI button) BAD

6) No Cover mechanic - if you have me suffer through real-time why can't my guys get properly into cover?

7) No Suppression mechanic

8) No (apparent) enemy moral

9) No gore

10) No -Create your own merc- mode one of the pinnacle and most important features of JA2

11) No destruction except on predefined points. Makes the whole town-moral system useless. In JA2 a badly thrown grenade or shot RPG could blow up parts of the city that really became damaged and damaged your standing massively.

Thats just from the Demo. Terrible shame to the JA name

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 00:48 Teddy

space captain wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 00:31:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 00:25:
it isn't a bad game.

thats wrong.. it is a bad game

Are you planning on filling this entire thread with childish responses like this? Your opinion is that it's bad, we get it. His opinion is counter to that, so is mine. I don't think it's a bad game at all. It's not a great game, but it's been decent fun so far for me.

The RTwP has worked fine for me thus far. I'd prefer turn based, and there's plenty of things in the game that I'd like to see done differently, but they did keep a lot of depth that doesn't exist in other RTS games. Sunglasses improve vision during the day and detract at night, vice versa for night-vision. Multiple stances affect accuracy, visibility and noise made while moving. Tons of weapons with specific addons, like optics, silencers, etc.

The game does a lot of things right as well as several things very wrong. It's not going to be for everyone. It'll tide me over for a short time while I wait for another interesting title, and really, it's $40 vs the standard $60 price tag for new games these days.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 00:31 space captain

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 00:25:
it isn't a bad game.

thats wrong.. it is a bad game

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 00:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 22:10:
Ah, yeah! Why haven't they expanded on this franchise? I know they made money. I love the games but the robot mech suits kind of ruined it a bit.

For the record, games by that same company, using various generations of the Silent Storm Engine:

Silent Storm
Silent Storm: Sentinels
Hammer and Sickle
Nightwatch(available in the US)
Daywatch(not available in the US? I can't find it)

Be forewarned, if you have 4gigs or more of RAM, and run Win7, you will have to fiddle with these games, due to Starforce DRM. It took a google search, a trip to game copyworld, and changing a value via hex editor to make them all run on my new comp. Walkthroughs of this procedure are available all over. Total time, like 10 minutes or less, depending on how bad you might rage at first.

More on topic: I pre-ordered JA:BiA... it's pretty fun, a few bad typos/translations aside.. JA2 fanatics are going to bitch and moan, but what can you do. JA:BiA reminds me more of Soldiers of Anarchy the more I play it, and less of JA2 or Silent Storm, etc. Real time with pausing, with well implemented order queues, militia members to outfit, mercs to train up, diamond mines to exploit in the name of more guns and mercs... it isn't a bad game.

As others have said, those DLCs are the preorder bonuses, which can be ignored really. A gun and a camo suit, which are nice at first but quickly outclassed, although they do look good. There was also a day one patch with some decent changes/fixes, hopefully they will continue to support/upgrade the game.

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 00:22 space captain

actually the pausable real-time is not fairly good, its fairly shit

just so you know

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 00:21 Prez

Pyloff wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 22:47:
I wonder what the reason they forced the plan & go on the game.

It is obvious the original creators of this game did a great job. Years later it can't be matched.

I'm thinking a misguided attempt at making it more "mainstream" (turn-based is considered a niche gameplay style even given the success of the Civilization series) and more than just a bit of arrogance, thinking that they could somehow improve on near-perfection.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 9, 2012, 23:12 TheBeefiest

The pausable real-time is actually fairly good, and it has a very old school feeling in terms of enemies (and you) will die very quickly if you aren't careful.

However it also has the new school feeling of completely untested and unfinished software, I can't believe how every single game has total show stoppers now.

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 9, 2012, 23:09 Teddy

Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 21:07:
Thanks for the comments, I was waiting for reviews and comments, this wasn't a pre-order for me.

And they already have 3 DLC out for this?

So far as I can tell, those are actually the various pre-order bonuses so people can buy them afterward if they want. The desert combat one is the same as the steam pre-order bonus that was offered.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo