Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Ascend Beta Patch

Hi-Rez Studios announces changes they've introduced in the Tribes Ascend Beta, which includes new suits and some lowered weapon prices. Here's a little more detail: "The latest Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patch arrives today, Thursday, February 9. Version 0.1.759.0 introduces new suits/visual aesthetics for the Sentinel, Infiltrator, Technician and Raider classes, lowers prices on many weapons, as well as implements a number of usability improvements and bug fixes on the front-end menu."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 11, 2012, 00:06 Jerykk

I think you misread the patch notes. They reduced the effectiveness of the fully-automatic and semi-automatic weapons, making them less effective at chasing.

If they want to balance chasing, they need to make disc-jumping more effective and give more loadout flexibility. In the previous games, an LD could hold a grenade launcher, disc launcher and sniper rifle, along with a bunch of grenades and mines. In T:A, you can't hold nearly as much, really limiting your effectiveness.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 18:52 Steele Johnson

They did the right thing. It was a bit unbalanced in the ski chasing. Now the flag carrier has a bit less of a chance to hold on to the flag, and that's exactly what the game needed.  

11. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 13:08 wrigleyvillain

Man I need to spend some more time with this. Too many good games right now! First World problem...

10. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 12:17 space captain

Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:57:
terminal velocity is way too slow,

there is none... no speed cap, its down to your skill at maneuvering.. im regularly going 240+ on a cap route and it seems pretty quick.. iv been over 300 and i assure you its fast, and since the maps are too small, its usually a problem to go super fast

but yeh all the maps are still way too small.. katabatic is about right for a "small" map

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 12:14 space captain

Overon wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 08:43:
The stealth spinfusor is brutal. It gives you a free spinfusor shot when you are invisible at an unsuspecting opponenet and you can usually ollow up a second one that's a little harder because at that point your opponenet is on guard

the best combo move ive found for heavies is stealth up to them, throw a sticky grenade onto their body, then quickly slice them with melee and disc jump off them.. with maxed 'close combat' perk, its usually a kill

in general ive found alot of skill based options for inf, what with their loadout.. the xtra melee dmg, the stealth w disc, the high explosives, etc.. really fun class to play imo ... i would say the stealth is almost too much power, but i think they balanced it nicely with the predator style effect and the fact that the inf has very little energy to split between jets and the pack... you need to be pretty good at skiing if you want to play that class

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 11:45 Snabel

Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:57:
so how do you guys manage to like this game? I assume you never played the first? there's no sense of momentum, terminal velocity is way too slow, and the maps are practically flatland... looks like t:v all over again to me...

I have no idea where this is coming from. I'm having tons of fun in this game, and the thousands of others playing seem to agree. The latest epic patch has really created a great system for upgrades to work from as well.

There has always been complaints where it doesn't have this or that feature from the old games, but most people seem to agree that this game is quite fun where T:V was a terrible mess.

Also, whether you played the other games or not has very little relevance. What matters is if this game is fun right here, right now.

7. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 10:57 Mr. Anisotonic

so how do you guys manage to like this game? I assume you never played the first? there's no sense of momentum, terminal velocity is way too slow, and the maps are practically flatland... looks like t:v all over again to me...  

6. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 08:43 Overon

The stealth spinfusor is brutal. It gives you a free spinfusor shot when you are invisible at an unsuspecting opponenet and you can usually ollow up a second one that's a little harder because at that point your opponenet is on guard.

I am shocked at how much fun the game is and each patch makes it better and better. I was really dubious of the microtransactions but you really can unlock everything by playing. But even the base stuff is fun. Right now it's still beta and they need more maps. They are listening to the community.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2012, 08:49.

5. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 03:29 Des

The improvements made has been great so far though. Rather impressed that they have made some great changes, let alone that last massive patch  

4. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 00:54 Crustacean Soup

See, I don't like the microtransaction thing, but at least these guys are (otherwise) listening to their players and not living in some sort of bubble. Can't say I disagree with any of the balancing changes right now.

Added minor damage falloff to projectile-based automatic and semi-automatic weapons.

FINALLY. Not sure it's going to be enough, but it's a start. The Tech SMG seems to have (have had) way too far an effective range for what it is. That whole class is a PITA. The doom CG is also super annoying.

3. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 00:47 Jerykk

I'd like to see them expand customization further. They really should just let you buy each item individually. Armor type, weapons, belt item, pack, perks, etc. Then you can mix and match however you see fit (with some restrictions for the sake of balance). Of course, such a model would result in fewer microtransactions and thus less incentive for customers to pay real money to unlock stuff.

It's a shame when a design choice exists solely to support microtransactions.

2. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 10, 2012, 00:26 space captain

yeh now that they have the stealth disc, im really diggin the infiltrator .. great for capping/chasing/raping

the new skin is just bonus.. on swords it looks sweet as hell

Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Patch Feb 9, 2012, 22:00 Esoteric

Damn, they nerfed my whiteout grenades!

/mostly used them for speed

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo