Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Sizzle Reel

A skyRimGameJam video features Bethesda's Todd Howard showing off a "sizzle reel" created for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The pop-up video-style clip shows a number of features proposed for the game before they took arrows to the knees, and though they did not make it into the release version of the role-playing sequel, Todd enigmatically notes that it is possible some of what it shown will make its way into the game through DLC releases or other updates. Thanks WTF_Man via Voodoo Extreme.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 10, 2012, 13:08 Mak10z

Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 09:32:
I played Oblivion through two and a half time on the console and feel I suffered not at all for it.

well, to quote Neil Degrasse Tyson "Watch out guys, we’re dealing with a badass over here"
how many hours did you put in to your 2.5 trips through cyrodiil? or fallout 3 / New vegas?

I can state I have over 700hrs alone in New Vegas (thanks steam for keeping track :p ) and probably more than that in Oblivion (did'nt buy it on steam originally, (but it came with my Bethesda /Id Pack I picked up in July) and its all due to mods, if I was stuck with the stock version of Oblivion / Skyrim or Fallout 3 i'd probably never touch those games once i was done with them. but lucky for me I have Mods like FCOM and other mods like it (see also: nehrim, andoran(only in russian at the time) )

Bethesda open world games are only really frameworks, the real game begins when the modders fix the bugs, the gameplay, and add a crap ton more content.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 10, 2012, 09:48 Verno

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 09:37:
Uhh, yeah, that and about a million other improvements, some of them utterly game-changing, and definitely for the better. If you never played Oblivion with a good set of mods, you missed playing a completely different, and vastly improved game.

Yeah, I'm running about 30 mods stable right now and I consider at least half of them essential. Playing Skyrim on the consoles is an exercise in futility but I guess if you don't know what you're missing then and all that. Bethesda games are way buggier on the consoles as well.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

42. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 10, 2012, 09:37 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 09:32:
For Skyrim I'd be able to actually add texture to the pitiful looking snow and be able to fix the awful UI. So what?
Uhh, yeah, that and about a million other improvements, some of them utterly game-changing, and definitely for the better. If you never played Oblivion with a good set of mods, you missed playing a completely different, and vastly improved game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

41. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 10, 2012, 09:32 Beamer

Dades wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 23:26:
Bhruic wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 21:09:
Considering how many people have disproved the "you have to have a $1000+ rig to game on" line, I'm surprised you're still parroting it.

If someone is dumb enough to believe that despite evidence proving otherwise then I think they are intended market for consoles in the first place. Playing on the big screen with a controller requires either a console or a $1000 gaming rig with nothing in between, the more you know.

I'm not going to half-ass it.

Regardless, it always amuses me how few people around here can tolerate someone else enjoying games in a way they do not. I have zero interest in owning two PCs. I have zero interest in maintaining two PCs. I already have two laptops, a netbook, two smartphones, a tablet and a desktop. I have little interest in adding yet another device there. I have little interest in adding more cords. Little interest in needing to buy and store a wireless mouse and keyboard.

Overall the benefits I'd receive are not worth the hassle. For most games there's little to no difference. For Skyrim I'd be able to actually add texture to the pitiful looking snow and be able to fix the awful UI. So what? I played Oblivion through two and a half time on the console and feel I suffered not at all for it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 10, 2012, 09:04 Reactor

I never understood why games with dungeons never made they actually dark where you needed a torch etc.. to see. It adds so much to the suspense.

There was an Oblivion mod that did this- every light source was a real one. To say it made dungeons frightening was an understatement.

39. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 10, 2012, 00:54 Jerykk

There are other balance issues that Beth never gets right. For example, the abundance of health, stamina and magicka potions laying around everywhere, which making alchemy useless. Now that the creation kit is out, I look forward to the mods to fix this.

Alchemy is far from useless. You can make some very effective poisons, more effective than anything you'll find on a merchant or in a dungeon. My alchemy is around 75 and I can make poisons that do 400 points of damage. I can also make potions that paralyze enemies for like 20 seconds while doing 400 points of damage.

38. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 10, 2012, 00:25 jimnms

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 22:17:
I still wish someone would redo the lockpicking mini-game. Porting that over from Fallout 3/NV and giving it minor difficulty tweaks was such a cheap move. They should have made something all new.

I agree. Also, the lock picking branch of perks is useless since the locks get easier to pick as your skill goes up. At 100 lock picking skill, with no perks, I can pick a master lock only breaking three picks max.

There are other balance issues that Beth never gets right. For example, the abundance of health, stamina and magicka potions laying around everywhere, which making alchemy useless. Now that the creation kit is out, I look forward to the mods to fix this.

Steam Profile

37. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 23:26 Dades

Considering how many people have disproved the "you have to have a $1000+ rig to game on" line, I'm surprised you're still parroting it.

If someone is dumb enough to believe that despite evidence proving otherwise then I think they are intended market for consoles in the first place. Playing on the big screen with a controller requires either a console or a $1000 gaming rig with nothing in between, the more you know.

36. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 22:17 Silicon Avatar

I still wish someone would redo the lockpicking mini-game. Porting that over from Fallout 3/NV and giving it minor difficulty tweaks was such a cheap move. They should have made something all new.

35. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 21:31 Mashiki Amiketo

The only people who parrot it, are the ones who are too lazy to look and see that you can build a very nice gaming rig on the cheap these days. Depending which way you go the most expensive parts will either be the video card, or the mobo. Ram is dirt cheap, even the major brand stuff. HDD prices are dropping, CPU's well if you don't want to go intel you can still get quad core AMD's that will do just fine.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

34. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 21:09 Bhruic

Because I don't feel like having two $1000+ rigs in my home

33. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 20:18 Mashiki Amiketo

wtf_man wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 15:30:
will see a majority of these things in DLC, or even some inspired mods.
Well some of the stuff modders were doing back in oblivion. Like seasonal foliage. It was tricky as hell to make work properly, you couldn't get it to drop to the ground, but snow/tree shedding and all that no problem. Other stuff like the spell combos was pretty neat.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

32. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 17:55 jimnms

Kastagir wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 17:47:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 15:35:
The spears were cool looking.

I never realized bow/magic didn't have slow-mo kill shots. That's an odd omission.

The game would quickly seem far too similar to Fallout3/FNV if it had too many killcam opportunities, particularly with ranged weapons/spells. I hope that if it is ever added that it is made optional.

I wish they would add an option to disable the kill cam, there was an option to turn it off in New Vegas. I disabled it the first time it happened in FNV.

Steam Profile

31. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 17:47 Kastagir

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 15:35:

I never realized bow/magic didn't have slow-mo kill shots. That's an odd omission.

The game would quickly seem far too similar to Fallout3/FNV if it had too many killcam opportunities, particularly with ranged weapons/spells. I hope that if it is ever added that it is made optional.

30. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 17:14 eunichron

Everything in there looked awesome. If they don't make it into a DLC or patch, hopefully some of those technical tweaks make it into a future game.  

29. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 17:07 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 13:40:
"But Beamer, why don't you hook a computer up to your TV?" Because I don't feel like having two $1000+ rigs in my home and I need one for work, so that's the one in my office. I see no good reason to buy a second one to hook up to my television.

Tune in next month when Beamer discovers the magic of the KVM switch and the 50 foot HDMI cable!

Creston

28. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 16:42 panbient

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 14:11:
So what awesome mods am I missing? I'm thinking of playing a more melee-combat character this time, as my last was more of a stealthy archer/rogue.

Lydia's Trade Dialog fix unless you actually enjoy that line about being sworn to carry your burden.

Also Nth-ing the mounted combat. Seriously disappointed the first time I got a horse and realized I couldn't use it to hunt Caribou with some bow and arrow action.

27. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 15:53 dheer

LittleMe wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 12:59:
There's a fast horse dismount mod on the nexus.
I must have missed that mod. Thanks.

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

26. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 15:40 Drayth

Any of the FXAA injectors that use color saturation will make the game look "warmer". I only know of one that uses very minimal color saturation.  

25. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 15:35 Silicon Avatar

I wish someone would mod in some landscape that didn't feel cold as hagraven. ... Feet.

It's gloomy and cold outside my window and now it's gloomy and cold on my computer screen. lol.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo