Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit

The Bethesda Blog announces the release of the promised Creation Kit for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, providing modification support for their RPG sequel. They also announce Steam now features a Skyrim High Resolution Texture Pack as free DLC, confirming indications that such a graphics upgrade was the "surprise" recently hinted at by Bethesda. Here's a tutorial video introducing the creation kit, and here's word:

Modders rejoice! We’re pleased to announce that the Skyrim Creation Kit is now available!

With the Creation Kit’s release, fans can now upload, download, and install custom content through the Skyrim Workshop on Steam. Get a crash course by reading level designer Joel Burgess’ blog post, and be sure to read up on our list of best practices for modding. Need more help? Don’t forget to to check out the official Wiki at www.CreationKit.com. In the coming days and weeks, we’ll be sharing tutorial videos for beginners and experts alike. Check out the first tutorial above, and visit the Bethesda Game Studios YouTube Channel for more.

In addition to releasing the Creation Kit and Skyrim Workshop, today we’re allowing players to experience Skyrim as you’ve never seen it before with the Skyrim High-Resolution Texture Pack. Before downloading it from Steam, make sure your system requirements exceed Skyrim’s recommended specs before attempting to install, including Windows Vista/7, a minimum of 4GB of system RAM, and a DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with at least 1 GB of RAM and the latest drivers.

View
129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

29. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 16:10 Ratty

Kastagir wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:28:
I think there will be quite a few people who end up owning two copies of Skyrim. One for their (shit) console and one for the PC.
I finally broke down and got an XBox about a year ago and bought a used copy of Oblivion for it. I thought it'd be fun to relax in a big chair in my living room and play it on a big screen TV rather than hunched over at my computer for a change. But as an archer it was impossible. At that first Ayeleid ruin you get to after leaving the sewers I kept getting my ass kicked by that one archer. Granted he's pretty tough anyway at level one but it took me about 15 or 20 seconds to even line up my bow to take a shot at him, in which time he'd dodge to the right or the left or shoot me 5 or 6 times. So really, you can be an archer using a controller?

After that I gave up and only used the box to watch Netflix - except Netflix never streams anything I want so it's just been gathering dust unless the kids come by.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:56 Wowbagger_TIP

justice7 wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:33:
It took a while to get used to the idea that i'm not using a mouse, but the game was really designed to be played with the controller. The feedback, variable walk speed and menu's/ui all work better with the wireless 360 controller on PC.

So I'm getting the best of both worlds, PC Graphics/Modding with console controls on the tv/couch setup. Epic barely scratches the surface of how fun it is.
Ugh. There's no such thing as a FPS/TPS game where console controller is better. Thumb knobbies are horrible compared to mouse/kb precision. It's fine if that's what you like, but they certainly aren't better in any objective sense.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

27. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:48 Prez

Thank you Bethesda!  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

26. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:44 Techie714 ©

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 14:46:
Suck it consoles. Suck it long, suck it hard.

LOL Nice!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

25. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:43 Acleacius

Better late than never, on the CK!

I'm pretty happy atm with the fan made texture packs, so I'll need to see some screens first.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

24. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:42 Kastagir

jdwohlever wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:39:
Man, I KNEW I should have bought the PC version instead of this low res Xbox console crap! I was worried it wouldn't run on my PC.
I Want a steam version of Skyrim.
Willing to trade for it.
I'm GunMod on Steam.

I believe "Burrito of Peace" has some advice for you.

23. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:39 jdwohlever

Man, I KNEW I should have bought the PC version instead of this low res Xbox console crap! I was worried it wouldn't run on my PC.
I Want a steam version of Skyrim.
Willing to trade for it.
I'm GunMod on Steam.

Xbox Live Ambassador (RET)
Founder of PERS0NA, a non-profit scientific paranormal investigation society
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God"

22. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:33 justice7

I have been playing Skyrim (PC Version) with the 360 controller, hooked up to my home theatre system (via HDMI). The experience has been something incredible. It took a while to get used to the idea that i'm not using a mouse, but the game was really designed to be played with the controller. The feedback, variable walk speed and menu's/ui all work better with the wireless 360 controller on PC.

So I'm getting the best of both worlds, PC Graphics/Modding with console controls on the tv/couch setup. Epic barely scratches the surface of how fun it is.

I also use and released some camera mod settings, to make the game far more cinematic

Click here for the 3rd person camera mod page

Then, I've turned off the compass in skyrimprefs.ini in your mydocuments/my games/skyrim folder.

Turn difficulty to Masterful, and you've got yourself one hell of a game.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2012, 15:39.

21. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:28 Kastagir

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 14:46:
Suck it consoles. Suck it long, suck it hard.

<laugh>
I think there will be quite a few people who end up owning two copies of Skyrim. One for their (shit) console and one for the PC.

P.S. The textures look great. Not earth shattering, but everything I've seen makes it look like they just used uncompressed versions of the original textures. Right way to go.

20. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:23 WaltC

Downloading now...looks to take about an hour for the ~3-gig texture patch to download@6Mb/s down.

I am extraordinarily impressed with this game! Had I not been told that the original textures were not "hires" I would not have suspected it--Skyrim sure included the best looking lot of low-res textures I've ever seen...;)

What I am ga-ga-goo-goo about, frankly, is that I've temporarily had to move to a much less powerful rig than I'm used to--a 3GHz Athlon 2 (separate 1-gig L2s) and an ATi 5770--and I'm damned if this game doesn't run *el perfecto* with all controls save FSAA maxed out to Ultra @ 1920x1080! The game runs great even at 2x FSAA--but looks as good and runs great at 0xFSAA and FXAA turned on--all settings maxed.

I've got a 1-gig 5770, so I'm betting the hi-res textures will run just fine! Amazing game--amazing. Been a long time since I've had the pleasure of something like Skyrim.

What I like most about the game, though, is that its stellar mega sales for the PC shut the mouths of the untalented, cowardly naysayer developers who claim you can't write for the PC because of piracy. May those guys rot and writhe in the acidic shadow that Skyrim PC casts!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

19. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:23 Agent.X7

It's a race: Will SKyrim hi-rez finish downloading before UPS delivers my copy of Kingdoms of Amalur? (Psssh, at this rate, PA is more likely to get my LLC cert to me first...)  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

18. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:16 ^Drag0n^

All that and a six pack of awesomesauce.

Nice work, Beth.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

17. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:06 Mashiki Amiketo

Ratty wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:03:
I have a nudie mod installed. Do you think I should get rid of that before getting the hi-res mod?
Shouldn't make any difference. At worst you'll just have to reinstall it.

edit: Doing some checking and all that, body/head all that doesn't work now. Looks like we'll have to figure out some new form of archive invalidation.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2012, 16:14.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:06 DG

Rossafur wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:03:
Now comes the process of figuring out if this replaces *all* of the textures, and which -if not all, are better than the best unofficial ones already created... Maybe I should just wait and let the STEP guide author figure it out for me, haha
It adds new .esp files therefore it's possible to use a mod manager [even the built-in Data Files one] to choose which ones to use.

I expect it'll be better than all the ones that merely took the game files and ran them through Photoshop. But the wholly-created textures, I dunno.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2012, 15:18.

15. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:04 DG

Sho wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:00:
How big is the download on the high-res pack?
3GB as posted earlier. Beware after clicking "buy" it installs like a patch so there's no stopping it, unless you want to delete local content, disable auto update then restore a Steam backup, anyway.

14. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:03 Rossafur

Now comes the process of figuring out if this replaces *all* of the textures, and which -if not all, are better than the best unofficial ones already created... Maybe I should just wait and let the STEP guide author figure it out for me, haha  

13. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:03 Ratty

I have a nudie mod installed. Do you think I should get rid of that before getting the hi-res mod?  

12. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:02 Mashiki Amiketo

Also: Skyrim $39.99, Oblivion $9.99 Morrowind $9.99, FO:NV ultimate $39.99  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:01 DG

After messing about changing the locale several times it "suspended" the download, now I got it back and it's coming down at 1.4MB/S.

Strange, but a vast improvement.

10. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 15:00 Sho

How big is the download on the high-res pack?  

129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo