Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit

The Bethesda Blog announces the release of the promised Creation Kit for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, providing modification support for their RPG sequel. They also announce Steam now features a Skyrim High Resolution Texture Pack as free DLC, confirming indications that such a graphics upgrade was the "surprise" recently hinted at by Bethesda. Here's a tutorial video introducing the creation kit, and here's word:

Modders rejoice! We’re pleased to announce that the Skyrim Creation Kit is now available!

With the Creation Kit’s release, fans can now upload, download, and install custom content through the Skyrim Workshop on Steam. Get a crash course by reading level designer Joel Burgess’ blog post, and be sure to read up on our list of best practices for modding. Need more help? Don’t forget to to check out the official Wiki at www.CreationKit.com. In the coming days and weeks, we’ll be sharing tutorial videos for beginners and experts alike. Check out the first tutorial above, and visit the Bethesda Game Studios YouTube Channel for more.

In addition to releasing the Creation Kit and Skyrim Workshop, today we’re allowing players to experience Skyrim as you’ve never seen it before with the Skyrim High-Resolution Texture Pack. Before downloading it from Steam, make sure your system requirements exceed Skyrim’s recommended specs before attempting to install, including Windows Vista/7, a minimum of 4GB of system RAM, and a DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with at least 1 GB of RAM and the latest drivers.

View
129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

89. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:40 Creston

Courtesy of TheOutlander on Beth's forum :

How to use the new Official Hi-Res texture pack with user created mods:

1. Disable or delete the esps that came with the official texture pack.

2. Backup then open
SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Skyrim_default.ini
&
Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini

3. Change this in both files:
[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

To this:
[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa

4. Save both files.

Now user created mods will be able to override what they need to override in the official texture pack.

Fair warning, Arthmoor says this is a Bad Idea... So maybe don't do it.

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2012, 00:57.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

88. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:29 Prez

Also, SkyUI. If people aren't using it then they are letting down humanity.

Well I detest humanity and would love to "let it down", but I also want a better UI. What should I do???

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

87. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:29 ^Drag0n^

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:21:
WyldKat wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:18:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 19:10:
Yeah if you are getting pink textures it means a texture is missing.

It is also caused by someone not having enough RAM or VRAM.

I haven't had any problems or slowdowns and the pack looks amazing and beats the so called "HD" packs on Nexus.

That used to happen when the game was running out of RAM before the LAA patch and you weren't using the 4gb loader. The texture doesn't fit in memory, so the object just has a solid color and bump map.

It can also be overheating of the VRMs, Northbridge, or (far less likely) the video card.

I ran into that very problem last week.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

86. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:26 ^Drag0n^

Draugr wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 19:45:

Also, SkyUI. If people aren't using it then they are letting down humanity.

Truth.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

85. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:21 ForgedReality

WyldKat wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:18:

I haven't had any problems or slowdowns and the pack looks amazing and beats the so called "HD" packs on Nexus.

That used to happen when the game was running out of RAM before the LAA patch and you weren't using the 4gb loader. The texture doesn't fit in memory, so the object just has a solid color and bump map.

84. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:20 ForgedReality

Creston wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:17:
ForgedReality wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:03:

I notice absolutely zero difference. I uninstalled Sky-UI thinking that was causing it not to work. No. They either apparently did just about nothing to improve the textures, or the fucking thing doesn't fucking work. >:\

Did you actually LOAD the esps? Trust me, there's TONS of texture difference all over. They touched a little over a quarter of all textures in the entire game, and especially weapons and armor have been pretty heavily upgraded. (in some cases weapons have been quadrupled.)

Creston

Yep. Haven't noticed anything different.

83. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:18 WyldKat

82. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:17 Creston

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:03:

I notice absolutely zero difference. I uninstalled Sky-UI thinking that was causing it not to work. No. They either apparently did just about nothing to improve the textures, or the fucking thing doesn't fucking work. >:\

Did you actually LOAD the esps? Trust me, there's TONS of texture difference all over. They touched a little over a quarter of all textures in the entire game, and especially weapons and armor have been pretty heavily upgraded. (in some cases weapons have been quadrupled.)

Creston

81. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:16 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:56:
Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:40:

But those flags are happening on a per-texture basis, right? Or is it more general than that?
Per mod. So if your mod is flagged 'high res' it'll override. But apparently you can also flag via the .egt too. It'll get sorted out, it always does.

For modders screwing around with stuff, watch your memory count. Looks like the toolset has an upper memory limit of 3.38GB before it'll hard lock on you. And who says we don't need LAA/LBA flags and 64bit computing?

Jesus, that's a really shitty way of doing it. So if everyone just flags their mod as high/res, it'll override anything else? That's just kinda lazy. I hate to bash Beth when they go out of their way to give us something they didn't have to, but why does it have to come with such dumb changes? Sigh.

And agreed on the need for 64 bit exes, especially in the toolkit. Then again, if your mod is reaching 3.38GB, might I suggest scaling down a bit?

Creston

80. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:03 ForgedReality

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:19:
Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 22:45:
Is that what's happening, or is it just a case of the bsa overriding everything in the "data" folder?

Though now that I think about it, that's exactly the opposite of the way that Bethesda's games normally work... Hmmm, weird. Don't know why Beth would deliberately break a ton of texture mods that way...

Creston
That's happening as far as I understand from texture and nif modders. There's a two way flagging system that allows you to flag your textures high or low res. High res will always get priority in loading as long as the associated ESP is loaded, and it can find the BSA. Otherwise it will default to loose files, or to the specified bsa.

I work more so in the scripting area, but in the closed modder forums that I frequent there's no shortage of grumbling over it.

But those flags are happening on a per-texture basis, right? Or is it more general than that?

Btw, for those interested about the High-Res pack:

1) I've lost literally 0% performance in using it. (In fact, I hadn't even played with 1.4 yet, so the whole game runs even smoother than it already used to.)

2) Certain things have definitely gotten a lot nicer. Clothes, armors and weapons certainly. Immediately noticeable were all the food textures, which have been massively upgraded (tomatoes are REALLY pretty now). Some rock textures were upgraded, and they improved the fauna quite a bit (though to be fair, it looks like they just took Vurt's work and copied it...)

Whiterun looks pretty nice now, they did a lot of work on the roof and beam textures, it looks very crisp now. They altered probably 60-70%, if I had to guess, of the wooden textures.

Other things, however, are still the same low rez stuff. I didn't expect them to improve every texture, but the "snowy rock" still looks horrendously shitty, the snow itself is still shit, and most tables are still pretty poor as well. All in all I'd say use this texture pack and keep using all the 3rd party ones as well, but of course I don't know how that flag Mashiki was talking about affects them. I'll fire some of them up tonight and see what happens.

As for Steam workshop being "the future of modding" ... it's basically a direct copy of the Nexus sites. The only thing it does better than Nexus is auto-updating. (which I will admit is a seriously cool feature.)

Edit : I could have saved myself the trouble of typing all this out. Hehe.

Oh well.

Creston

79. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 23:57 ForgedReality

nin wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:33:

19x10 is low rez?

Yes. LCD technology is a step backward from the days when we could go much, much higher, with way better color accuracy and higher refresh rates. I play on a 24" widescreen CRT (Sony FW-900) at 2304x1440 and I don't have to enable stupid vsync.

78. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 23:56 Mashiki Amiketo

Per mod. So if your mod is flagged 'high res' it'll override. But apparently you can also flag via the .egt too. It'll get sorted out, it always does.

For modders screwing around with stuff, watch your memory count. Looks like the toolset has an upper memory limit of 3.38GB before it'll hard lock on you. And who says we don't need LAA/LBA flags and 64bit computing?

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

77. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 23:40 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:19:
Is that what's happening, or is it just a case of the bsa overriding everything in the "data" folder?

Though now that I think about it, that's exactly the opposite of the way that Bethesda's games normally work... Hmmm, weird. Don't know why Beth would deliberately break a ton of texture mods that way...

Creston
That's happening as far as I understand from texture and nif modders. There's a two way flagging system that allows you to flag your textures high or low res. High res will always get priority in loading as long as the associated ESP is loaded, and it can find the BSA. Otherwise it will default to loose files, or to the specified bsa.

I work more so in the scripting area, but in the closed modder forums that I frequent there's no shortage of grumbling over it.

Btw, for those interested about the High-Res pack:

1) I've lost literally 0% performance in using it. (In fact, I hadn't even played with 1.4 yet, so the whole game runs even smoother than it already used to.)

2) Certain things have definitely gotten a lot nicer. Clothes, armors and weapons certainly. Immediately noticeable were all the food textures, which have been massively upgraded (tomatoes are REALLY pretty now). Some rock textures were upgraded, and they improved the fauna quite a bit (though to be fair, it looks like they just took Vurt's work and copied it...)

Whiterun looks pretty nice now, they did a lot of work on the roof and beam textures, it looks very crisp now. They altered probably 60-70%, if I had to guess, of the wooden textures.

Other things, however, are still the same low rez stuff. I didn't expect them to improve every texture, but the "snowy rock" still looks horrendously shitty, the snow itself is still shit, and most tables are still pretty poor as well. All in all I'd say use this texture pack and keep using all the 3rd party ones as well, but of course I don't know how that flag Mashiki was talking about affects them. I'll fire some of them up tonight and see what happens.

As for Steam workshop being "the future of modding" ... it's basically a direct copy of the Nexus sites. The only thing it does better than Nexus is auto-updating. (which I will admit is a seriously cool feature.)

Edit : I could have saved myself the trouble of typing all this out. Hehe.

Oh well.

Edit 2 : The .esp files are actually empty. They just make sure the .bsa files get loaded. An easier way to do so is to just add the two .bsa filenames to your skyrim.ini folder (with all the other .bsa files.)

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2012, 00:13.

76. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 23:33 nin

19x10 is low rez?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

75. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 23:25 ForgedReality

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 22:43:
avianflu wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 20:06:
p.s. Like a few others here, I run the game via HDMI to my HDTV and it looks great and the couch is comfy. You also gain the benefit of running at native 720P, which puts less work on your PC's GPU if you have a 24 inch LCD display like I do that runs native at 1920x1200.
Why would any gamer want to run ANY game at 720p? I have a 42" LED HDTV hooked up to my computer and it's 1080p (like most are), so only slightly lower resolution than my desktop monitor - performance isn't any different, it just means that if I'm not feeling particularly motivated I'll grab my X360 controller and lay back.

If I wanted my games to look like crap I'd buy a console.

Bothy 720 and 1080 are pretty fucking low res. I don't know how anybody handles it. :\

74. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 23:19 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

73. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 22:45 theyarecomingforyou

I'm very impressed with the Steam Workshop. Usually managing mods is much more effort than its worth. Now I don't have to worry about updating to the latest version or reinstalling it on another computer. It's the future of modding and I really hope developers pick it up and run with it.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

72. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 22:45 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 18:48:
Just a heads up though. That if you're using any custom textures, a 'high res' texture will always override a low res texture. There's a flag for high-res vs low res textures in bsa/esp settings now. The hack-around types of archive invalidation that have been used in the past, do, sorta, kinda work. Not on body/armor/weapon data but on static objects with solid meshes mostly. So until a perment solution is figured out, I'm guessing either a new form of AI, or always including .egt files, just know what you're installing.

Creston

71. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 22:43 theyarecomingforyou

avianflu wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 20:06:
p.s. Like a few others here, I run the game via HDMI to my HDTV and it looks great and the couch is comfy. You also gain the benefit of running at native 720P, which puts less work on your PC's GPU if you have a 24 inch LCD display like I do that runs native at 1920x1200.
Why would any gamer want to run ANY game at 720p? I have a 42" LED HDTV hooked up to my computer and it's 1080p (like most are), so only slightly lower resolution than my desktop monitor - performance isn't any different, it just means that if I'm not feeling particularly motivated I'll grab my X360 controller and lay back.

If I wanted my games to look like crap I'd buy a console.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

70. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 22:01 nin

Slashman wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 21:07:
nin wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 20:20:
Really impressed with the steam workshop! Lots of sorting options, including seeing what mods your friends are using.

Is it as good as the Nexus mod manager, though?

Honestly, I'd never used the other. I played through about 18 hours of NV when it first launched, and never went back to finish it, thinking I'd wait on all the DLC (which I have now). And I'm just getting into Skyrim tonight (that first hour went by quickly!).

I guess I just expected something kinda halfassed on steam's part, and it actually seems halfway decent (I thought). Lots of filters, and I love the idea that if an author updates their mod, you get the latest version automatically. Each mod gets a nice page, and they can embed youtube videos showing the mod in action, as well as static screenshots. In several pages, I saw people asking questions, and the mod authors jumping in to answer them or offer tips.

Obviously if you used Nexus, YMMV. It could even seem like a step backwards. But I'm happy it's even offered at all.

edit: And then there's this... http://kotaku.com/5883209/

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2012, 22:16.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo