Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Electronic Arts and 3D Studios announce the release of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, the new role-playing game from 3D Studios' Big Huge Games. The announcement has word on a "House of Valor" digital download pack that's available with code included with the console versions of the game, but there's no word on plans to bring it to the Windows edition. A previously released playable demo is still available, and here's a bit:

PROVIDENCE, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Choose your destiny in the massive and mysterious world of Amalur! Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA), 38 Studios, LLC and Big Huge Games today released the much anticipated open-world action role-playing game, Kingdoms of Amalur™: Reckoning™. The game’s vision was brought to life by 24-time New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore, Spawn creator Todd McFarlane, and internationally-celebrated game designer Ken Rolston – an all-star team assembled by three-time World Series Champion pitcher and founder of 38 Studios, Curt Schilling. This original intellectual property breaks new ground by melding a deep open-world RPG experience with visceral action combat that offers players millions of combinations of moves, weapons and armor in a completely unique experience for every individual. IGN.com, who awarded the game with a 9 out of 10 review score, anticipates "Reckoning will be discussed when Game of the Year 2012 rolls around," adding that it "certainly isn't a game you should sleep on. Quite the contrary: Amalur demands your attention." The UK's The Guardian added "Reckoning sounds like just the kind of start to 2012 RPG fans were hoping for."

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 18:00 The pickle

Steam is just as bad as origins!!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 15:57 Agent.X7

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 09:16:
Wolfox wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 08:56:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 03:46:
Are the guards still psychic and can you still get caught stealing from a chest you've already unlocked?

If there's no one watching, you can't be caught. So, if you go into stealth mode, and make sure no one is seeing you, you should have a 0% chance of getting caught. At least that's how it worked in the Totalbiscuit live stream I watched yesterday. (I haven't played the game yet - it only unlocks on Friday for me - but even if I did, I wouldn't have stolen anything, so I wouldn't be able to tell you how it works)

Nah, the stealing behavior is the exact same in the full game as it is in the demo. Even if no one is watching there's a chance to be caught which is really really stupid.

If you are sneaking, and you make sure nobody has any color in the eye floating above them, then you have a 0% chance to be caught. If someone just saw you in the room and walked out, and then you try stealing, there's usually a chance to get caught.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 09:16 Verno

Wolfox wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 08:56:
Are the guards still psychic and can you still get caught stealing from a chest you've already unlocked?

If there's no one watching, you can't be caught. So, if you go into stealth mode, and make sure no one is seeing you, you should have a 0% chance of getting caught. At least that's how it worked in the Totalbiscuit live stream I watched yesterday. (I haven't played the game yet - it only unlocks on Friday for me - but even if I did, I wouldn't have stolen anything, so I wouldn't be able to tell you how it works)

Nah, the stealing behavior is the exact same in the full game as it is in the demo. Even if no one is watching there's a chance to be caught which is really really stupid.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 08:56 Wolfox

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 07:14 Dades

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 03:32:
I still don't and probably never will understand what's so horrible about Origin / Uplay / Whatever. Unless you're not on your home PC with a constant internet connection, tell me what could possibly bug you so much that you'd skip out on a fun game?

People don't like it because it doesn't have the features of Steam and they don't want to run another client especially when its EA backing it. A lot of people are happy with Steam and only want something better, Origin is not better.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 05:34 Eldaron Imotholin

Isn't the latter a realism you're just not used to in a game? I'm sure I don't have to elaborate what I mean.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 03:46 Jerykk

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 03:32 Eldaron Imotholin

Shok wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 21:11:
avianflu wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 19:58:
FYI -- according to the amalur game forums, the boxed/disk version also requires Origin installation, which is not a surprise.

So its either Steam or Origin if you want to play this game.

Yeah, almost bought it on Amazon yesterday for $50.99 including some pre-order dlc but then I saw Origin required. Too bad, almost had my sale there.

I still don't and probably never will understand what's so horrible about Origin / Uplay / Whatever. Unless you're not on your home PC with a constant internet connection, tell me what could possibly bug you so much that you'd skip out on a fun game?

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 02:51 Alamar

I was expecting a whole thread of bad comments coming in here... Nice surprise : ) Wasn't this the game people were talking about how generic it was? Like any other fantasy story isn't heh...

Anyhow, just played the demo, and one thing I really like, is that the 'mage' path can use weapon combo's... And Chakram's (a mage weapon) are fun : )

I regret not trying the combo for the scepter though...

Looking at the skill trees, that don't really seem to add much overall, do seem to add charge attacks to the attack chains though... Could be interesting...

I don't think it's worth launch day price though, just based on some of the bugs, and needs-some-work UI (clicking items, weapons, equip, etc is not only a tired design, it doesn't always react to my clicks).

When is the steam summer sale? : )

-Alamar

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 02:35 Agent.X7

Been playing this all night. I like it a lot. Still reminds me of a cross between Fable and Skyrim. The art is great, and the sound is pretty good too. They seem to have squashed quite a few bugs that were in the demo. The only bad thing is that it pretty much requires a controller to play, as the M/K interface sucks.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 8, 2012, 00:18 Prez

Good to know Cutter, thanks.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 7, 2012, 23:42 Cutter

Prez wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 22:27:
Forgive me; I'm slow. If you buy the Steam version, do avoid using the horrifically bad Origin?

No Origin needed with the Steam version. You can choose to login into Origin/38 so they can track and use all your personal data, post your achievements, etc. but it's totally optional - which is good or I would have otherwise been apoplectic.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 7, 2012, 22:27 Prez

Forgive me; I'm slow. If you buy the Steam version, do you avoid having to use the horrifically bad Origin?

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2012, 02:57.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 7, 2012, 21:11 Shok

avianflu wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 19:58:
FYI -- according to the amalur game forums, the boxed/disk version also requires Origin installation, which is not a surprise.

Yeah, almost bought it on Amazon yesterday for $50.99 including some pre-order dlc but then I saw Origin required. Too bad, almost had my sale there.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 7, 2012, 20:53 Slashman

born2expire wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 20:37:
Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 16:25:
Looks interesting. Not "$60 on the first day" interesting, but I'll probably check it out once they've patched it up and wringed out all the DLC.

It's not $60 is $59.99, EA sees a difference why can't you?

I'm sure I'll see it once I've had my daily whack on the head with an idiot stick...

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 7, 2012, 20:37 born2expire

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 16:25:
Looks interesting. Not "$60 on the first day" interesting, but I'll probably check it out once they've patched it up and wringed out all the DLC.

It's not $60 is $59.99, EA sees a difference why can't you?

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 7, 2012, 19:58 avianflu

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 7, 2012, 18:31 Prez

I've read all of the comments calling this game cookie-cutter, last-gen, and derivative, but none of it ever seems to dampen my enthusiasm for it. I plan on getting it at some point, but I have Skyrim to play right now.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 7, 2012, 18:02 Creston

Viper114 wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 14:54:
Just to clarify, the House of Valor pack that the consoles need to put in an online pass to get comes AUTOMATICALLY in all PC copies of the game without needing to put in an extra code. Since, well, you can't really get this game pre-owned like the consoles...

Thanks for explaining that, as the way it was worded made it seem that EA was just giving another big, fat middle-finger to PC players.

Creston

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Feb 7, 2012, 16:25 Pineapple Ferguson

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo