Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2

Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson has offered to fund development of Psychonauts 2. In response to an interview on Digital Spy where Double Fine's Tim Schafer explains that though he receives daily requests from gamers for a sequel, such a project has been turned down after repeated pitches for publishers, Notch tweeted a question about funding and followed with: "@TimOfLegend Let's make Psychonauts 2 happen." He also tweets to RPS that he saw this through their tweet, and that he's "serious," though his most recent comment notes this ball is still in Tim's court: "Let's wait for Tim to respond. ;) It's his baby." As of this writing, Minecraft has sold nearly 4.9 million copies, putting Notch in the position to make such an overture. Thanks Morris.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 23:12 Jensen

I played through quite a bit of the game, then got stuck and bored at some collect 20 thingamajigs part of the game. Too much filler.

I don't care if a game is short! Don't waste my time when I have plenty of other games to play.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 20:11 Fibrocyte

nin wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 09:43:

Wow!

Cue the masses saying Notch is still the antichrist!

I'm sure the shyster will find a way to profit from this

23. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 17:33 Beamer

entr0py wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 16:05:
So, no one really liked the game-play of Psychonauts or Brutal Legend. But those of us who played them anyway have fond memories of the art direction and storyline. Maybe Tim Schafer should just become a film director.

I disliked the art direction of Psychonauts. I found most of the characters brutally ugly in an unappealing way. A distracting way.

I also hate 3D platforming.

Tried starting the game twice, and while I dug the concept and plot I found myself thinking about other things I needed to get done while walking around and trying to find a way to collect crap. I'm sure that, had I played longer, I would have gotten the hang of the controls, but I never felt in control of my jumping/swinging and found running around in the world uncompelling (I'm making up words!)

I wanted to love it but couldn't. I'll probably give it another shot sometime.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 17:31 noman

Jay wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 11:37:
As a platformer, it's pretty 'meh' - but the gameplay isn't what makes Psychonauts special. It could've been a point & click adventure or rhythm game or something stupid and it would still have been equally brilliant.

I didn't care much for the story or characters in Psychonauts. They were interesting and charming but only to some degree. The gameplay however as a platformer was great. The level variety was wonderful, easily comparable to the greats like Rayman2 or Mario64. There were levels that played like a turn based strategy game (with the platforming mechanics), and some almost as adventure games with a set of puzzles. The type of scenarios and set-pieces you get to encounter were always great and fresh.

I have never understood the comments like "it was an ok platformer but the other parts were brilliant". It really excelled at platforming.

21. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 17:21 Elf Shot The Food

Brutal Legend was a bad game with an awesome soundtrack. I had more fun driving around listening to the music than actually playing through those half-assed RTS sequences.  

20. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 16:05 entr0py

So, no one really liked the game-play of Psychonauts or Brutal Legend. But those of us who played them anyway have fond memories of the art direction and storyline. Maybe Tim Schafer should just become a film director.  

19. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 15:12 Prez

What, is this guy running for God?

Psychonauts 2 would be swell!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 14:18 Sho

Use ResidualVM?  

17. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 13:55 siapnar

Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 13:04:

Shit, if I ever win a major lottery I'll see if I can get Tim to do another Grim Fandango

Yes indeedy.

I can't get Grim Fandango to run on Win 7

I have projectile dysfunction.

16. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 13:04 Cutter

SirKnight wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 12:39:
Bah, I liked Brutal Legend.

I loved Brutal Legend! Well, in concept anyway. The gameplay left a lot to be desired but the storyline, the music, Jack Black, et al were all good times.

Shit, if I ever win a major lottery I'll see if I can get Tim to do another Grim Fandango and someone else to make another Outlaws style game.

And no, I don't think Notch is the anti-christ, but I do think he's an arrogant dick who got lucky. Time will tell on that one.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 12:39 SirKnight

Bah, I liked Brutal Legend.  

14. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 12:17 PHJF

Nothing about Psychonauts was "meh". You must be thinking of Brutal Legend.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 12:09 J

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 11:43:
That said, if Notch funds PS2, he'll be PC gaming's greatest hero. :)

I don't think that came out as intended

12. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 12:08 Elf Shot The Food

ItBurn wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 10:54:
I never tried psychonauts. It looks terrible. I rarely(never) like third person platformers. I understand that everyone likes it, but I'm rarely wrong in that department.

The game is good, but it was wildly overpraised on release. I enjoyed what I played of it, but I lost interest towards the end and never finished the game.

11. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 11:43 Creston

I gotta admit that I skipped psychonauts solely and alone because it's a platformer. That said, if Notch funds PS2, he'll be PC gaming's greatest hero.

Creston

10. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 11:37 Jay

ItBurn wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 10:54:
I never tried psychonauts. It looks terrible. I rarely(never) like third person platformers. I understand that everyone likes it, but I'm rarely wrong in that department.

As a platformer, it's pretty 'meh' - but the gameplay isn't what makes Psychonauts special. It could've been a point & click adventure or rhythm game or something stupid and it would still have been equally brilliant.

9. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 11:33 J

Psychonotch.  

8. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 11:09 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 10:15:
Him and Valve should open a PR school.

Not exactly rocket science - treat your customers well and give people good value for their money. The kind of PR that isn't really PR.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 11:01 Lokust

That's pretty amazing. I found parts of Psychonauts brutally hard, but it was a brilliantly creative game. It's nice to see people using their money for good rather than evil.  

6. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 10:54 ItBurn

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo