Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups

The Hawken Website has news on this upcoming mech combat first-person shooter. They announce they are accepting signups for closed beta testing, though they don't reveal when this testing will begin. They do give an idea when it will be ending, though, announcing the game is due on December 12, 2012, also revealing it will be a free-to-play game.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: agreed.... Feb 8, 2012, 12:19 Shataan

hmmmm never saw that 1. But the panning stuff incockpit let to right and back was hardly what you`d call a split second. This doesn`t move quake fast at all. But as always, ya gotta try it to really know.... right?

If it feels quake fast, even I`d refuse to play it. Cause that is really not my kinda thing. So far it doesn`t look too bad. For what it is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: agreed.... Feb 7, 2012, 20:27 xXBatmanXx

Shataan wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 18:01:
just rewatched some vids, and it is anything but twitchy.

Spinning a 180 in a split second is the definition of twitchy.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. agreed.... Feb 7, 2012, 18:01 Shataan

just rewatched some vids, and it is anything but twitchy. Hope they have some visually varied maps, and desert enviros.... not all in urban settings etc. It`ll be nice to get on the beta. Then we can see how it fares in the feel department.

I love the jump jetting in the vids. HG 2 had that. The jetting adds some skill to piloting as apposed to all onfoot.

22. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 7, 2012, 15:52 Razumen

Blackhawk wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:06:
There's nothing wrong with the way they're doing it. I was just hoping for something a little different.

I've gotten tired of twitch action multiplayer shooters. I was hoping for something where seeing an enemy meant fighting back and forth with them, as opposed to a contest over who has the quicker clicker.

Have you watched any gameplay videos? Combat does involve back and forth volleys, there doesn't appear to be any one-hit kill weapons. In fact retreating from a battle to hide and repair is one tactic shown in their videos.
This won't be anything like COD.

21. a Feb 7, 2012, 15:06 Blackhawk

There's nothing wrong with the way they're doing it. I was just hoping for something a little different.

I've gotten tired of twitch action multiplayer shooters. I was hoping for something where seeing an enemy meant fighting back and forth with them, as opposed to a contest over who has the quicker clicker.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2012, 09:05.

20. Re: I`ll give it a go... Feb 7, 2012, 13:49 Razumen

Shataan wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 13:04:
with the Beta.

But it is really starting to to look aged and it isn`t even out yet. I`ll really like to see something between Mechwarrior and Heavy Gear 2... speedwise. But a real incockpit view ala Mechwarrior 3. That kinda look and piloting feel, tho Mech 3 had a decent speed feel as well. It just looked azz...... terrainswise. The Mech 3 Mechs themselves were awesome.

There hasn`t been a mech game to date for PC that made you feel you were actually piloting, than Mechwarrior 3 imho.

I am amazed that we are not seeing a literal glut of new Mech games coming. Peeps have been literally screaming for them for years.

Guess all the dev talent who knew how to do a Mech game fell off the face of the earth.

MW3 did a LOT of things right, the cockpits, the sounds (especially those of your Mech's feet hitting the ground), the animation of the Mechs with their slow, plodding, mechanical movements, and the lasers (I loved the pulse lasers particularly, and the regular one's weren't the one hit wonders of MW4 either.)

It's too bad their wasn't much variety in the environments though, and certain weapons were way too overpowered in MP.

19. I`ll give it a go... Feb 7, 2012, 13:04 Shataan

with the Beta.

But it is really starting to to look aged and it isn`t even out yet. I`ll really like to see something between Mechwarrior and Heavy Gear 2... speedwise. But a real incockpit view ala Mechwarrior 3. That kinda look and piloting feel, tho Mech 3 had a decent speed feel as well. It just looked azz...... terrainswise. The Mech 3 Mechs themselves were awesome.

There hasn`t been a mech game to date for PC that made you feel you were actually piloting, than Mechwarrior 3 imho.

I am amazed that we are not seeing a literal glut of new Mech games coming. Peeps have been literally screaming for them for years.

Guess all the dev talent who knew how to do a Mech game fell off the face of the earth.

18. Re: F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups Feb 7, 2012, 12:21 Krovven

I guess people just want yet another human vs human shooter. Thanks but I'll pass. Personally I found MechWarrior games to be too slow paced. But I also don't like hyper-speed twitch shooters all that often anymore. This could be just the thing.

17. Re: F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups Feb 7, 2012, 11:16 reisub

From the start it was clear this was going to be less strategy, more action, but it should still be quite different to the current spate of FPSs. I certainly didn't hesitate in signing-up. It's free, so nothing to lose, plus the sound design alone makes me want to try it.

Would I be crossing a line if I post my registration link? Too late. x)

16. Re: F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups Feb 7, 2012, 09:35 space captain

yeh its more fast paced and anime style like "Virtual On".. but if you look at enough videos you can see the mechwarrior elements too - simulated cockpit maneuvering (no quick mouse looks), overheating, missle lock-ons, radar, jammers, etc. etc.

personally a fast paced mecha game with realistic shirow-esque graphics is exactly what im looking for

cant wait for this one

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 7, 2012, 09:08 everyone

Blackhawk wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 22:35:
I like the idea, and I like the look, but it looks a little too twitchy. It doesn't seem to have the lumbering, walking tank feel, or the careful maneuvering that mech games are known for.
I, for one, am glad they went with a more realistic approach.

14. Re: F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups Feb 7, 2012, 06:58 Dr. D. Schreber

Despite this being not!Mechwarrior, I'm looking forward to this. It looks like it's going to be fun, regardless of how much the genre is debated.

Besides, what I really want isn't a new Mechwarrior anyway, I want an honest to god, Kinect-free, Steel Battalion. Guess I'll have to settle for tracking down the first one and an old XBox on eBay...

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

13. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 7, 2012, 04:53 yuastnav

Razumen wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 23:30:
Parias wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 22:43:
I like the idea, and I like the look, but it looks a little too twitchy. It doesn't seem to have the lumbering, walking tank feel, or the careful maneuvering that mech games are known for. It looks almost like Quake with a cockpit.

This is my concern too. It does look neat, but I was hoping for something a bit more... giant robot-ey.

It's certainly not MW, but I don't think you'll be able to do 180s with the flick of the wrist. That's what I hope anyways. So far it's looking like a nice blend between FPS and all out Mecha games.

Personally I don't want a mecha game. I want a [b]real[/b] mech game, something akin to the first MechWarriors.
This is just UT with a fancy HUD; it cannot even be compared to Quake because it is just too slow. And that is how a Mech game should feel like and I obviously did not play Hawken so I cannot say how it is going to feel but it certainly does not look like a mech game.
It is rather disappointing.
Why even bother designing fancy models, terrains and a HUD when it is only going to be your run-of-the-mill shooter anyway?
This is getting more and more disappointing.

12. Re: F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups Feb 7, 2012, 02:59 xXBatmanXx

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 01:07:
The developers have plainly admitted that Hawken is a twitch FPS with big powerful machines. If it suits the gameplay, I couldn't give a flying crap how "realistic" the spin speed is.

Heck, it's not even something they have to "admit." It's just how they're making the game. It's a mech action game, not a mech simulation game. I love Mechwarrior as much as the next guy but it's not fair to get mad at them for making a game different than what you might've expected, Batman.

And elefunk is right: we're getting a genuine sim too, so you don't even have to be sad.

Never said I was mad at them - just doesn't appeaer to be a game I would ever play.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

11. Re: F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups Feb 7, 2012, 01:07 TychoCelchuuu

The developers have plainly admitted that Hawken is a twitch FPS with big powerful machines. If it suits the gameplay, I couldn't give a flying crap how "realistic" the spin speed is.

Heck, it's not even something they have to "admit." It's just how they're making the game. It's a mech action game, not a mech simulation game. I love Mechwarrior as much as the next guy but it's not fair to get mad at them for making a game different than what you might've expected, Batman.

And elefunk is right: we're getting a genuine sim too, so you don't even have to be sad.

10. Re: F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups Feb 7, 2012, 00:55 elefunk

Especially when there will be a simulation mech game coming out to complement it in the same year!

9. Re: F2P Hawken in December; Beta Signups Feb 7, 2012, 00:53 xXBatmanXx

Krovven wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 21:55:
Looking to see what this was, I watched this gameplay vid. http://www.youtube.com/v/iVa7B1bLv8I&hd=1 Sweet!

F2P, but the FAQ mentions it being a downloadable title with a low cost. Will be interesting to see more details on this in the coming months.

They move and spin WAY TO FAST. The environment isn't really all that great either. Be better if it appeared to be inhabited by humans, but these huge mechs were everywhere....I dunno....I exptected more I guess....

Maybe I am wrong, but I remember MW being slow and lumbering...you had to use a lot more tactics than what I am seeing in the Quake/COD mech game.....

8. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 7, 2012, 00:40 elefunk

I love that there's a full-on simulation Mechwarrior game and this game, an arcadey fast-paced mech action game, coming in the same year. And I'll be able to play both without paying a dime  

7. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 6, 2012, 23:30 Razumen

I like the idea, and I like the look, but it looks a little too twitchy. It doesn't seem to have the lumbering, walking tank feel, or the careful maneuvering that mech games are known for. It looks almost like Quake with a cockpit.

This is my concern too. It does look neat, but I was hoping for something a bit more... giant robot-ey.

It's certainly not MW, but I don't think you'll be able to do 180s with the flick of the wrist. That's what I hope anyways. So far it's looking like a nice blend between FPS and all out Mecha games.

6. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 6, 2012, 23:18 bhcompy

Think Armored Core or Virtua-On. There are precedents.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo