Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta

Guild Wars 2 Guru has indications that invitations have gone out for a press beta for Guild Wars 2, another sign of progress for ArenaNet's upcoming MMORPG sequel. One of the tweets they quote suggests the NDA on this will expire on February 20th.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 8, 2012, 09:31 InBlack

So is it subscription based or F2P?

Im asking because Guild Wars (like Diablo 1 and 2 and now 3) only had a one-time fee that you bought at retail.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 7, 2012, 13:40 Fion

I think GW2's hype is different from many other MMOG hype. (I'm not just saying this as a Fan of Anet, here me out lol). The reason for that is Anet is very good about going into detail about their game when they release news on a facet of it. They don't announce anything or reveal anything until it is somewhat polished and then they let people play that feature at conventions.

Think about what you get from many other MMOGs when it comes to hype. Remember WAR? Every week we'd see a new video that consisted of screenshots, and a guy telling us how amazing and magical his game was. We'd see cool flow charts of what game play type B was all about but it was 'never' demonstrated and when you got to play it at the conventions it was always 15 minutes of a single starting zone and even that was strictly controlled (just like the SWTOR demo's were).

With GW2 each feature has been highly detailed, played by the fans and participated in by the community. You can go to any convention and play the game for hours, without limits, with any class. You can craft, gather, PvP, PvE, explore, participate in long chained dynamic events and more. It's why Anet reliably wins every single 'best of show' or 'best MMOG of show' at every convention they attend.

A good example of this will be the reveal of WvWvW, hopefully at PAX East this year. When it's announced we'll get videos detailing the gameplay, not videos of a guy hyping a game with some screenshots and fancy flowcharts but actual gameplay videos. Then at the conventions hundreds of people will PLAY and experience World vs World themselves. Not just a tightly controlled 15 minute hashed demonstration but nearly an hour at a time, however they wish to experience it, how ever many times they wish to come back and play another 40 minute slot. From there they will share what they've experienced with the community, etc.

In the end, compared to other MMOGs with a release 3-6 months from this point in development, we know an astounding amount of detailed information about GW2. It includes nearly every aspect of the game, experienced at conventions, etc. From class details, to structured PvP. It's why a thread on MMOG.com detailing the facts that we know about the game so far is 50k words long and why there is already a detailed character creator on the web with all the facets of characters, skills, traits, etc (though we know less about traits) all taken strait from gameplay experience at conventions.

In the end that is why GW2's hype is so high. Because already, thousands of people have played the game, some rather extensively.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2012, 13:57.

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 7, 2012, 10:10 wtf_man

Turglar wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 09:35:
There's no way this game can live up to the hype fanbois are giving it. These same people on the GW2 train will be complaining about it a week after release, just before hopping on the next unreleased mmo's dick.

I think that depends on one's expectations.

At worst, the PVE will be WoW, totally designed around / for "public quests", plus some private story-line questing, with no subscription fee.

Although I'm hoping for better... I can live with that.

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 7, 2012, 09:39 Yakubs

SimplyMonk wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 21:57:
Alamar wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 21:37:
The industry (and doubly so for massives) surely need more buggy, rushed releases ; )

Paying to play Betas is what this generation is all about. The price for early beta keys on eBay can attest to that.

True. If we learned anything from MineCraft it should be that gamers don't need polish all the time. They're very much willing to pay to play a beta and have a hand in the game's development through feedback. Gamers get the game earlier, developers get revenue earlier plus feedback. Everyone wins.

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 7, 2012, 09:35 Turglar

There's no way this game can live up to the hype fanbois are giving it. These same people on the GW2 train will be complaining about it a week after release, just before hopping on the next unreleased mmo's dick.  

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 7, 2012, 09:02 wtf_man

I'm looking forward to it as well... but I won't do beta. I beta'd GW1 so much (Like a year before it launched and up through launch) that I was fairly burned out on it by release time. So, this time I want to be surprised.

As for realeasing now... I'd rather they get it right than release another "MMO Turd", which a majority of them are.

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 7, 2012, 07:58 Acleacius

Really looking forward to gw2 and have high hopes.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 6, 2012, 23:27 Fion

Press beta this month, beta 'weekends' like GW1 and SWTOR in March & April.

Game really is showing signs of releasing soon. Hopefully before summer. A May/June release would be awesome

Cant wait for Feb 20th when the media can actually talk about their experiences!

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 6, 2012, 22:00 Steele Johnson

I feel like this game has been in development for 10 years. Finish it already!  

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 6, 2012, 21:57 SimplyMonk

Alamar wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 21:37:
The industry (and doubly so for massives) surely need more buggy, rushed releases ; )

Paying to play Betas is what this generation is all about. The price for early beta keys on eBay can attest to that.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 6, 2012, 21:41 Cutter

Fucking woot!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 6, 2012, 21:37 Alamar

Calwen wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 21:32:
Glad to see they're on track.

Dear Press,

Please tell Anet their game is wonderful and perfect and does not need to be delayed.

Yours truly,
~An impatient fan

-Alamar

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 6, 2012, 21:32 Calwen

Glad to see they're on track.

Dear Press,

Please tell Anet their game is wonderful and perfect and does not need to be delayed.

Yours truly,
~An impatient fan

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo