Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 7, 2012, 10:08 Tigger

I would be ok with this if games weren't 60.00. There are VERY FEW games that have enough content to be worth that much. Every year they pump out less content per disc and more DLC.

Isn't that the truth.

That's why I think this whole 'not playing used games' is crap. We get less and less content every year for our $60.

The only consolation we get is that there will be DLC, which is generally released right after launch and/or there is occasionally some stupid achievement or trophy for playing through the game more than once.

Providing it keeps good games coming and especially if it keeps game developers employed, I am OK - but not happy - with:

Getting nickel and dime'd on the DLC.
Paying for an 'unlock' key as long as the price is reasonable.
Paying MORE for a game.

I am NOT OK with all three combined. Even IF it keeps devs employed.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2012, 06:29.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 7, 2012, 08:38 Verno

This would be financial suicide for the Xbox brand, it just opens them up to their competitors offering a significant value add that costs them little. I welcome it, I'm all for whatever forces Microsoft to actually compete again. They've been monetizing every aspect of gaming for awhile now and giving little back in return, they've been heavy handed with publishers and indies alike. Someone needs make them feel a little humility again in this industry, the rest of the company is sure learning about it.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 7, 2012, 06:25 Mordhaus

The Autodesk decision was applied to a PC software that specifically stated that you could not sell it. It has never been applied to a console game and console games have always been treated like other physical media like dvd's and cd's.

Now, with wording changes in the EULA of console games, it could be conceived to be possible to make re-sell or gifting of console games illegal. However, this treatment and the more open nature of console media, is a large percent of why PC gaming took a nose dive until recently.

A large part of the resurgence of the PC market was due to the popularity of WoW and, more so, Steam. Steam has championed indie games which are far cheaper, but the secret is that they continually offer extremely good sale prices on games. In many cases, had they not offered that discount, the game would have lost a lot of sales. For example, I wanted Skyrim the moment it came out, but I refuse to pay full price for a game. When it was on sale for the holidays, I picked it up for 33% off. I had to wait, but it was worth it, especially considering the fact that it was loaded with bugs at release.

Once you tackle the fact that most likely the next gen games will be even more expensive, I am thinking at least a ten dollar price boost to 69.00, then you will quickly see a lot of buyers holding off for either some sort of sale or a best selling edition.

To end this, while I love Volition's games, after the founder of the company left, it clearly impacted SR3. The plot of the story was so muddled by the end that you could almost see a sign saying "THQ's Danny Bilson was here telling people how he wanted the game made" and it was also clear that a lot of content was magically turned into DLC instead of shipping with the game. THQ is a rapidly sinking ship due to these actions and others.

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 7, 2012, 01:23 TheEmissary

I think as long as physical media exists consumers will continue to blur the meaning of what ownership and license actually mean. Software has always been a licensed product. The physical aspect tends to give people a false sense of ownership.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk,_Inc.

In the past this wasn't a problem but now you have huge businesses dealing in second hand games/software. Retail stores have been starting to put used games on the same shelves as New products but only a few dollars cheaper. So its only natural that the developers/publishers feel slighted.

I don't think that they should go all in on this as it would be PR suicide for the new console. They should let the publishers decide the terms of use not a system wide decision.

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 23:30 Beamer

Bumpy wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 21:14:
Yeah, I think used cars shouldn't drive with out the original purchaser inside either. <rollseyes>

Every thread...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 23:22 ^Drag0n^

This coming from an employee of a company that has been making epically bad business decisions to the point of being threatened with de-listing from the stock market? Zero surprise they want to scapegoat the used game industry, and everyone that takes advantage of it.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 23:00 Tumbler

LOL at Volition Dev. You're one of the companies that will go belly up if they make games require codes that get linked to accounts. (aka used games won't work) When you force people to pay $60 for any game they want to play they stop trying lesser known title like Saints Row the Third and instead everyone buys Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 22:50 Creston

Gamestop will frown at the "doesn't play used games" consoles once, and all these dipshit publishers will fall all over themselves to beg Microsoft to undo it. If MS themselves don't already quickly fix it, out of fear of angering the one company that's (and I quote) "murdering the game industry."

Asstards.

Creston

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 22:20 tuddies

Sounds like a GLITCHED Xbox720 would be the best way to go! No hassles at all - play the game from your hard drive and never worry about what account has what game and who is renting or lending what code for what time frame or whatever.

GLITCH IT, BITCHES!

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 22:12 Kitkoan

Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 22:06:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 21:34:
Tigger wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 21:06:
Volition dev: next Xbox not playing pre-owned games would be "fantastic".

Fuck. you.

Oh, but because they expect to sell twice as many games will cost half as much!

Wait, they AREN'T going to discount the games?

Actually, game prices will be going up by 20% when the new xbox comes out.

I remember when PSX games were $40 new...

Granted I also remember my Sega Master System games being like $100+ (here in Canada in like the mid-late 80's)

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 22:06 Steele Johnson

jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 21:34:

Fuck. you.

Actually, game prices will be going up by 20% when the new xbox comes out.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 22:03 Bhruic

Also in news, money raining from the sky would be "fantastic".  

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 21:58 entr0py

If they're going to turn all games into rentals, I expect rental prices.  

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 21:54 xXBatmanXx

I would be ok with this if games weren't 60.00. There are VERY FEW games that have enough content to be worth that much. Every year they pump out less content per disc and more DLC.

What they will end up seeing is less DLC spend and less games purchased, along with less users total. People don't have the money to spend 60 on multiple games a year. They just don't.

The market supports around 45 dollars per game (go to Craigslist and Ebay) - even after a couple weeks people will dump new games for that price to undercut GS and the new price.

They will play COD and Madden and that is it.

Hay, maybe this will kill a bunch of devs for console and move em back to PC. Yea, do that.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 21:34 jdreyer

Fuck. you.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 21:17 Razumen

Traitors!  

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 21:14 Bumpy

Yeah, I think used cars shouldn't drive with out the original purchaser inside either. <rollseyes>  

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2012, 21:06 Tigger

Fuck. you.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo